Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Funny I was looking for something from Congress not Harpers. Did they revise the Constitution so that Harpers declared war? Looking at the text I see:

"Now, therefore, I, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President of the United States, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution and the laws, have thought fit to call forth, and hereby do call forth, the Militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of 75,000, in order to suppress said combinations, and to cause the laws to be duly executed."

I see a President calling forth the militia to suppress an illegal act.

Not at all tongue in cheek. Too lenient and not nearly long enough. Rampant recidivism took place in the South as soon as Northern troops were removed.
What exactly was too lenient about Reconstruction? Would you have preferred the North rounding up Southerners and putting them in death camps? It was the punitive nature of Reconstruction that led to the "recidivism" of the South. When you're already down and someone proceeds to kick you over and over again, it doesn't make you feel so friendly.
Lincoln's intended Reconstruction would have promoted a healthier relationship between the North and the South, rather than the antagonistic one you seem so entrenched upon.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM

295 posts, read 320,494 times
Default Sorry BUBBA,I'm not gay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Oh I don't know that anyone is worried about that defeated flag. We do not fly the German Nazi flag or the Japanese imperial flag over American soil. Nor should we fly any other loser flag.
As far as your rainbow flag I've never seen one. I do wonder how far you had to go to be offended. Did you have to go to a parade or a gay bar? Or is it something you see on a daily basis as part of your living arrangements?
First of all YOU must be worried about this flag since you continue post on the issue, but it is people such as yourself that are PC and didn't take the time to study into the history of the flag or any other flag for that matter!!!
It's people like you that make derogatory posts such as this one regarding gay people ,perhaps you know more about those sick minded people than I do!
I'm not the one defending them YOU ARE!!! Have you ever heard of the garden of eden? How about Adam and Eve?
It didn't have to go far to be offended, I seen it in our newspapers and TV, and seeing that you are sooooo POLITICALLY CORRECT, I bet you have a rainbow sticker on your bumper!!!!
You'll see the C O N F E D E R A T E flag sticker on my bumper, too bad it hurts your feeling but I consider myself HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!!!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
You'll see the C O N F E D E R A T E flag sticker on my bumper, too bad it hurts your feeling but I consider myself HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!!!!!
Quick story: We trace our family back to the Confederate Army - a relative was an Officer (and Gentleman). We have a "Battle" Flag, shadow boxed, with information about my ancestor, proudly displayed in our home.

My Foster daughter (now my adopted daughter ) liked the Flag and the history of our relative. At her request, we went to a NASCAR race here in Phoenix - and she saw a Confederate Flag beach towel - and asked if we could get it. Well, I did. She uses it all the time - takes it with her on trips.

OBTW - she is African-American. She thinks the flag is "Cool"

Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Vote on it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's the battle flag of the enemy who waged war on the United States.

There is no legitimage reason to have on flying on a State house.
Look what happened in Mississippi, give em a right to vote and the flag will remain!!!
On the other hand in Grenada,MS. the majority of blacks refuse to fly the state flag even after a vote decided the people of Mississippi wanted to keep their flag of 1894 but get this they flay an naacp flag at the courthouse in place of the state flag.....talk about racism!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Thank you for sharing this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Quick story: We trace our family back to the Confederate Army - a relative was an Officer (and Gentleman). We have a "Battle" Flag, shadow boxed, with information about my ancestor, proudly displayed in our home.

My Foster daughter (now my adopted daughter ) liked the Flag and the history of our relative. At her request, we went to a NASCAR race here in Phoenix - and she saw a Confederate Flag beach towel - and asked if we could get it. Well, I did. She uses it all the time - takes it with her on trips.

OBTW - she is African-American. She thinks the flag is "Cool"
What about all of the other races besides Anglo-Saxons that fought in the Confederate Army too!!
Africans, Jews, Indians, and even Hispanics also were enlisted in the Confederate Army and these people saying the Confederate flag represents hatred, I urge them to further study the history of the Confederacy.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:40 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
If the confederate flag is ok to fly (stands for racism and hate towards the US = secession)
Then it's ok to fly the Nazi flag, the flag of Palestine, etc.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:59 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
What about all of the other races besides Anglo-Saxons that fought in the Confederate Army too!!
Screw them and everyone else who has ever fought in the Confederate Army!! Screw "southern culture" whatever that is, screw "states rights", screw the Confederate flag and screw the south, period.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Screw them and everyone else who has ever fought in the Confederate Army!! Screw "southern culture" whatever that is, screw "states rights", screw the Confederate flag and screw the south, period.
I trust, and hope, you are kidding.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:07 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I trust, and hope, you are kidding.
I am totally serious. I meant every word I said. I HATE the south.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Default Fly what you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If the confederate flag is ok to fly (stands for racism and hate towards the US = secession)
Then it's ok to fly the Nazi flag, the flag of Palestine, etc.
Re-phrase: I don't see nothing wrong with flying the Confederate flag under that of the United States as for flying Nazi or Palestinian flags, well that is your decision.
We are represented by a Constitution that still guarantees freedom of expression but after seeing our politically righteous Americans on some of these threads I can only see my freedoms being taken away!
DO YOU KNOW THAT AFRICANS FOUGHT IN SEVERAL MAJOR CIVIL WAR BATTLES DEFENDING THE CONFEDERACY?
Go to your library and do some further reading because you cannot preach to me something I already know!
For you not hating, why are you calling the flag of Palestine a hate flag?
That flag represents a people that are being oppressed by the Zionists!
Now surely, we can equate Zionism with racism, can't we?
I will reiterate this again: THE CONFEDERATE FLAG IS A PART OF AMERICAN HISTORY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies