Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,889 times

Advertisements

I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.
Wait, what? California and Massachusetts don't allow murder any more than any other state does.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Wait, what? California and Massachusetts don't allow murder any more than any other state does.
I suppose you're right, but nothing that happens in those places surprises me. I would bet that popular sentiment is some places would favor the animal. It seems like there was something that happened in Calfornia. My recollection is so hazy that I can't get anything when I google it. But I remember something about an animal, maybe a bear, attacking a woman. Both were injured. When donations came in for medical treatment, the animal received much more than the woman did. If anybody can clarify/correct details of this episode, please help.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Default Eeeee

Quote:

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

Okay, Ms/Mr. Vague. Where's the post by someone saying they would kill a PERSON who threatened his pet????

Is this the start of a rant about California and Mass?
Any person with a brain knows that killing a person who is threatening your pet is not a legal DEFENSE IN ANY STATE IN THIS COUNTRY!

You have heard of Death Row, haven't you?

So you equate love with spending money on your cat......hmmmm.......rosebuds and money, huh. Why don't you ask this question about the law on the Politics forum where you are more likely to get a more definitive answer?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Puuuleaaaase... do you really think Californians would allow murder, even for something like this?? We are a LIBERAL state, and last time I checked, the liberal folks generally are less murder-happy. So where on earth would you get such an idea? And no, I would not be able to KILL a human for threatening my animals - beat them senseless, perhaps, but not murder.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
I suppose you're right, but nothing that happens in those places surprises me. I would bet that popular sentiment is some places would favor the animal. It seems like there was something that happened in Calfornia. My recollection is so hazy that I can't get anything when I google it. But I remember something about an animal, maybe a bear, attacking a woman. Both were injured. When donations came in for medical treatment, the animal received much more than the woman did. If anybody can clarify/correct details of this episode, please help.
Sorry, I've never heard about that, and I have lived in California for over 25 years. If that really did happen (which I doubt), it could only have been because the bear had more life-threatening injuries... yes, we do value our animals here, but not often higher than humans.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Your post is also sooooooo hazy as to be absurd. If you can't find specifics about such things as laws protecting animals over people in assaults and killings, then get to work and find that stuff rather than posting "hazy memories" of "something" that "may have happened".....you are posting about political issues now. Not pet issues.

Do you have a problem with PETA or something? What's your point with these posts.

Tell us about your cat that you love so much. Why do you love the cat? How long have you had it? Let's see. I'll bet a good name for your cat would be rosebuds. Seriously, please try to talk about your pet, or pet issues in general, without weaving controversial political issues into your post.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Eeeee

Quote:

But she is an animal.

Could I kill a person who threatened my pet? Short answer: NO.

Would you please give us more information about the post you read where you say that someone made a post saying they could kill a human being who threatened their pet? It sounds as though that person clearly needs some psychological testing or maybe anger management counseling if someone made such a post.

It's delightful to hear that you love your cat. Please tell us more about that.

I have no doubt that all mentally healthy people posting on this board would agree with your statement:

"No animal is worth the life of a human being."

However, you might just find this little tidbit interesting. There was a police officer in South Florida who was shot in the neck while sitting in his car. He was a K-9 officer and had his dog in the police car with him. When the paramedics arrived after the shooting to provide help, they could not administer treatement to the officer because the dog was being very protective and they could not get into the car or get the police officer out of the car. So they WAITED until someone from the K-9 unit could get there in order to get the dog out of the car. The police officer died. Bled to death. I've always wondered WHY they did not shoot the dog in order to get into the car to treat the officer as quickly as possible. Hmmmm. One just never knows.

As for your musing about case law, perhaps you would get an answer to that question in the Politics And Other Controversies forum more quickly than in the Pet forum. Did you think about that, maybe?

You mentioned that you thought California and Mass. might have laws which would favor an animal over a human being in an animal attack case. Where did you get that idea? Please try very hard to find some supportive information for us regarding your concern and/or belief that there would be case law to support such a thing.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Okay, Ms/Mr. Vague. Where's the post by someone saying they would kill a PERSON who threatened his pet????

Is this the start of a rant about California and Mass?
Any person with a brain knows that killing a person who is threatening your pet is not a legal DEFENSE IN ANY STATE IN THIS COUNTRY!

You have heard of Death Row, haven't you?

So you equate love with spending money on your cat......hmmmm.......rosebuds and money, huh. Why don't you ask this question about the law on the Politics forum where you are more likely to get a more definitive answer?
I believe the post came from the thread reporting where the guy killed a hawk to protect a squirrel.

Please do not follow me from room to room hijacking the threads and causing them to get locked like you did the last one. It's not right for you to do it, and it's not right that you are allowed to do it. I am a cat lover who does happen to have an interest in politics. I am free to talk about both, am I not?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
No, but I could kill a pet which threatened my grandchidren.

Pit bull owners please note: I am armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies