Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times

Advertisements

If someone was merely threatening any of my animals, I would threaten them back. If someone was actually attacking one of my animals, you bet your sweet a** I would attack back, and if that person ended up dead, then so be it. Luckily, I live in Texas...so if this happened on my property I would probably get away with it, and rightly so.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I have to tell you the truth here. Something like this actually happened to me. My Father had just passed away, I was more then just a little freyed at the edges. My daughter was only 2 years old.

My favorite Cat, Nigel got out accidently. He was fixed and declawed in the front, an indoor house cat only. Never harsh or confrontational. He came limping home having been shot, I was later to find with a bee bee gun.

When I saw him on my front porch, carrying his leg, bleeding on the porch, if I had seen the person with the bee bee gun, I think I would have pulled it from their hands and beat them to death with it. Intellectually I know thats wrong but thats where I was at the time.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,148,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
The way people have treated Michael Vick, you'd think he murdered someone. I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I don't think you should go to prison for killing animals, unless they are someone else's property. Sure, you're not a nice person if you do it, but while Ray Lewis and other NFL stars associated with murders are walking free and even playing, I don't think Vick should be in the penitentiary.
Vick let friends and family use his property for dogs to kill each other and for humans to torture and kill the animals as well. If anyone views this as okay,then they're idiots.Whether it's a human or animal life it shouldn't be treated with such recklessness.Vick should be in jail.I hope they beat him up daily and I hope when he attempt to come back to the NFL that he is denied re-entry but I doubt that will happen.Too bad this country doesn't implement what they do in the middle east,an eye for an eye.How would he feel if he had to fight for his life?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 PM

472 posts, read 741,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
If someone was merely threatening any of my animals, I would threaten them back. If someone was actually attacking one of my animals, you bet your sweet a** I would attack back, and if that person ended up dead, then so be it. Luckily, I live in Texas...so if this happened on my property I would probably get away with it, and rightly so.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,140 times
Default Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I remember last year a Texan guy killed two people in defence of his neighbors TV and laptop. Two burglars broke into his neighbors home and he shot them dead when they were coming out. If you can kill for your neighbors laptop, I am sure you can kill for a pet if the circumstances are right. Pets are considered property, and apparently it is OK to kill in order to defend your property.
Well, I'd forgotten all about that! Texas. Yes, the guy did get away with killing two people to protect HIS NEIGHBOR'S "property." Good point.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
My guess is that since they were paramedics they didn't have guns or they just didn't realize how serious the injury was because I can't imagine a fellow police officer letting a dog get in the way.

The facts were that there were other police officers also present at the scene with guns. They didn't shoot the dog. The guy bled to death. Truth is, as they say, often stranger than fiction.

Someone makes a very good point. If it is OK to defend your home and your belongings why is it not ok to defend your pets and animals?

Apparently in Texas the law does indeed allow you to shoot someone outside your home if you THINK they mean you harm. The incident mentioned above was a case where a man called 9-1-1 because he saw burglars trying to break into his neighbor's house, (not his house) and he told the 9-1-1 person that he had his gun and he was going after the two guys in his NEIGHBOR'S yard. 9-1-1 told him not to do so, that officers were already in the area, but the guy did it anyway. He shot the two burglars OUTSIDE of his NEIGHBOR'S house in the BACK as they were running away. Of course so much depends on the actual circumstances.

If I am out walking my dog and some maniac starts beating it, is it not OK to hit him upside the head even if it might kill him? I mean if someone goes after my animal, I could be next. Exactly! Of course it would be okay. If you're walking your dog and a maniac starts beating up the dog, my guess is that you are next on the list! I think that if you're just hitting someone in an attempt to protect your dog or other pet because they are attacking the pet, and you ACCIDENTIALLY killed the person, you'd have an easier time in court. I believe it's illegal to beat and be cruel to animals......so your maniac is already in trouble.

Is there a more specific circumstance you might want to elaborate on? Honestly if someone broke into my home and went after my dog, are those of you saying it would NOT be ok to sho0t the burguler but it was perfectly justifiable in the Texas case?
No, I don't think that's what is being said. The guys in Texas were breaking into THE NEIGHBOR'S HOME, not the home of the guy who shot and killed them. The neighbor didn't have a dog. Also, I believe in most places if someone BREAKS INTO YOUR HOME, and you're there, and you shoot that person, shooting the person is not illegal regardless of whether they go after your dog or you. If someone broke into my home, and I had the opportunity I would shoot and shoot and shoot, hopefully injuring the person.

Last edited by Austin13; 02-25-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,399,202 times
Quote:
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.

No animal is worth the life of a human, wow, really ? So, a random child molester/murderers life is worth more than your cats ? That's pretty sick !

If my pet were being threatened I would call the police, if my pet were being attacked or killed, I would not be able to control my actions, my pet is like my kid, so yeah, I would take whatever means necessary to protect him. People who threaten or hurt animals have a friggin screw loose.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i am not sure if you are asking me about my emotions or the law. or what happens in a court of law here as opposed to what the penal code says which of course here is very different.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-25-2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
The way people have treated Michael Vick, you'd think he murdered someone. I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I don't think you should go to prison for killing animals, unless they are someone else's property. Sure, you're not a nice person if you do it, but while Ray Lewis and other NFL stars associated with murders are walking free and even playing, I don't think Vick should be in the penitentiary.
My goodness, Eeeee. I believe it is against the law to own dogs and teach/train them to fight each other to the death for gambling events or any other purposes in most states. Hmmm, I think it has something to do with cruelty to animals. If you do the crime, you gotta do the time. Did you know that one of the characteristics of a sociopath is cruelty to animals? Yeah! Of course, you could always try to get a grass roots organization together and start lobbying in all the states which have laws against cruelty to animals in order to get the punishment changed. That's an option. Just a suggestion.

When you say "associated with murder" exactly what do you mean? Charged? Convicted? Saw it on the news?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
No animal is worth the life of a human, wow, really ? So, a random child molester/murderers life is worth more than your cats ? That's pretty sick !

If my pet were being threatened I would call the police, if my pet were being attacked or killed, I would not be able to control my actions, my pet is like my kid, so yeah, I would take whatever means necessary to protect him. People who threaten or hurt animals have a friggin screw loose.
Indeed they do "have a friggin screw loose." I agree. There are laws against animal cruelty, as well there should be.

As I mentioned to Eeeee, torturing and/or killing animals is one common characteristic of a sociopath.....sometimes psychopath. Seriously. Many people who have been convicted of murders, upon investigating their social history, it is found they started out by torturing and killing animals when they were young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies