Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,533,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Just for fits and squiggles could you tell me how you got from a man killing a hawk who attacked a squirrel (obviously the man was an idiot)to killing humans over a pet?

And , you're free to talk about anything but have to expect that others are just as free to comment.
If you'll read Austin's question and my response, he doubted me when I said I had just read on another thread where a poster said he could kill a human who attacked his pet, and asked me to cite where I'd read it. To which I named the thread about the hawk.

And of course people are free to comment. Austin acted like I'm not allowed to display political opinions in a pets forum.

It would be really helpful if you would read all the comments before YOU comment.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:26 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,533,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This was a mountain lion attack in Auburn CA. It was in one of my posts on the Pets forum. The lion attacked, killed and drug the lady back to her cubs. 25 grand was raised for the orphan cubs after the cat was dealt with while 5 grand was raised for the husband and three children the woman left behind. The shop I worked at in Reno at the time donated 500 bucks of the money for the womans family. 10% of the total amount from 10 people. We were sickened by this. It's disgusting!
Oh, I missed your post earlier. THANK YOU for setting it straight. Yes, this was the story I remembered. So now I will accept apologies of Austin and Gizmo and others who doubted my story and questioned my motives. WOOHOO. It's great to be proven right and vindicated.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,797,311 times
I could kill a pet for threatening my person.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
This has probably been answered completely by this point, but legally, NO.

You do not have a right to take someone's life because they threaten your property(even if it's a pet). In court, that would be like saying "I killed him because he threatened to slash the tires on my hummer." You have a right to protect your property, but the use of deadly force is not a right unless your life or someone else's life is in serious danger. Now, if you woke up in the middle of the night to a man dressed in black, armed, who's obviously broken into your house, and he's killing your dog, you probably have a right to shoot him. Why? Because an armed person who has broken into your house in the middle of the night is most likely a danger to your life. BUT, if someone ran away with your pet, and you shot them in the back, you'd be in trouble.
See this is what I am confused about here. If this is the scenario that we are talking about, then it is also illegal to kill another human because he threatened the life of a fellow human.

This "what if" just doesn't make any sense. If you are talking about saving the life of a human vs a pet, most human beings would save the human first myself included even though I love my pets like family. If you are talking about vengence after the fact, going after someone after they killed or beat up your pet, well we know that is illegal and it would also be illegal to go after someone after the fact because they killed or beat up another human.

It sounds like the shooting someone in the back if they are running away with your pet is going to depend on the state and whether or not they are on your property. In Texas, I imagine if it is legal to shoot someone in the back as they are running of your neighbor's property, then I imagine it would be legal to shoot someone in the back if they are running off of your own property. He clearly wasn't in danger of his own life so I cannot for the life of me see how you can think that is OK but not ok to shoot someone running off with your pet. I don't get that logic at all??!!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I just read a post by somebody who says he could.

I love my cat dearly. I have spent money on her. I would probably spend a lot of money on her if I had to. I understand how people love their pets dearly. I understand how people humanize their pets.

But she is an animal.

A person is a human being.

No animal is worth the life of a human being.

I wonder if there is case law on this. The only place I could imagine something like this being allowed is California or Massachusetts.

HUH!?!?!

Dude, what are you on, and can I have some????

Why on God's green earth would you think any state would condone murder??

And, no, I would no kill anyone who threatened my pet. I'd let PETA do that.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
The way people have treated Michael Vick, you'd think he murdered someone. I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I don't think you should go to prison for killing animals, unless they are someone else's property. Sure, you're not a nice person if you do it, but while Ray Lewis and other NFL stars associated with murders are walking free and even playing, I don't think Vick should be in the penitentiary.

I do. You might want to look at the condition of those dogs. It's not as if he needed the money.

Besides, he wasn't in prison that long.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:45 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,809 times
EEEEE22895

I think eventually that story was proved false.
But here in California it wouldn't be suprising.
A logical result of progressive thinking.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 AM

358 posts, read 472,604 times
I have 2 very sweet non threatning dogs. They do not understand agression toward a human. I have an obligation to protect and control them. I have always protected them, but due to their excitement I have temporaraly lost control on occasion.

That being said if the person is justified in hitting slapping or kicking thinking they are vicious (15lb attack poodle?) then it is my fault. If some crazie goes off for no reason, especially on my property, I would suggest he has a problem coming. As far as the law, he would be threatening me not my dog, and yeah, I might cap him.

Bottom line, leave my family, dogs, house and cars alone and we will always get along fine. Break those simple rules there will be trouble. I will do what is necessary to stabilize the situtation, then if necessary involve the authorties.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Well. First of all, I "own" no pets. I have a fur baby by the name of Gizmo who has asthma. I have no problem paying for his medical bills (thank goodness for Banfield kitty insurance!) as I would do for my own daughter.

If somebody were to threaten Gizmo, it would feel as though that person were insulting my own child. I would not kill the person who made the threat, however such person would be barred from every aspect of my life.

For those who say that it is just a pet... do a search up on Kenny Glenn. Watch the videos, look into the defeated and depressing eyes of Dusty, and tell me that he's just a pet. For those who can claim that they are just pets, what punishment should befit those who abuse and torture innocent pets? ((No, I won't post a link to the videos. They are far too heartbreaking))

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why should the cubs have been destroyed?

Your attitude is despicable--but a great example of the stupidity of Americans about how ecology works, and the extent to which we depend on a healthy land in order to survive ourselves.

This "incident," I would bet, is the "direct result" of human beings encroaching on mountain lion habitat, and then crying and whining because mountain lions live there. Utter stupidity. Predators serve a crucial importance in terms of habitat and ecosystem health. Kill off the predators and you throw the entire balance out of whack, and the whole system begins to disintegrate.

The problem is not the mountain lions. The problem is stupid, ****ing human beings who think they can just slash and burn their way through every natural habitat there is--until there's nothing left. No clean air, no clean water, no animals. Nothing. All so the Beavises and Buttheads, like yourself, can stomp around, screaming and yelling and killing off animals.

I feel sorry for the woman who died--and I especially feel sorry for her family. But who in their right mind goes jogging or walking or whatever she was doing, where there are mountain lions???? Hating the animals is bull****. It's like the mob mentality which results with circus animals: that "rogue" elephant who, after years of abuse, finally loses his mind and kills his trainer, and all the idiotic Americans want the animal killed.

No wonder our country is in the toilet. It's filled with bunch of brainless maniacs.
The cubs had eaten human and therefore would have turned man hunters after being released ( by the way, they WERE destroyed despite the money and all the howling). The woman was jogging on an established path right outside town. The "encroachment" theory ain't gonna wash in this case. I don't particularly care what you think of my attitude. I put people first. We are the top of the food chain (except when PETA types get stupid laws passed that put animals first) such laws should be ignored, especially when they endanger people which the lion hunting ban did. Again, you assume much as to actual "hatred" of the animals. If I were the lady's husband I would have a boiling hatred of mountain lions but as it stands I just have a boiling contempt for the bunny huggers who think that the lions have more importance than people. I shoot predators that threaten my livestock. Having dealt with the results of both lion and coyote attacks has left me feeling very angry and shooting the predators responsible was satisfying ,yes. But hatred of the critter don't figger in. It would be different if it was my wife or child that was mauled and killed. Then I would take it as a personal mission to go on an extermination campaign. Thats just how I'm made and I don't care a fart in a high wind how much that offends your sensibilities. I regularly venture where predators are prevalent, by necessity. And I don't hesitate to impress upon them that they need to fight shy of me. Call me all the silly names you like. It doesn't change a thing. I'm not a "brainless maniac" as you say, lol, but I'm a pretty good shot with a saddle rifle and that has lessened the possibility that MY wife or child will end up like the poor lady from Auburn. As to our country being in the toilet, on that we agree. However, the reason for that is not folks like us out here on the range that keep the predators under control. We understand the eco system very well and that includes predator mentality. It's the clueless, hand wringing, wailing idiots that have never actually come face to face with these predators, making silly laws that place these animals above our families and ourselves that are the problem. We do what we must to protect ourselves and our livelyhoods. I don't shed not one single tear for the predators I have had to deal with. Never will. The views espoused in this quoted post are flabbergasting. It smacks of a serious lack of actual experience in the wilds and of an emotionally charged and irrational hatred of people who have to deal with predatory animals in ways they cannnot handle personally because they don't have the sand. People come first, end of story. That does not mean that we shoot EVERY predator we see out of hand just because they are there. But when they get in to close a proximity to us and present a threat...... bye bye. This is the way of things out here. The folks who don't like it don't have to live out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies