Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:45 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
If you don't like it put your kids in private school.
Now there's a solution! Why didn't the rest of us think of that?

Maybe there are those of us who can do without a few of the non-necessities like electricity, gasoline, or food, so that we can put our kids in private school in order to avoid nasty little educational gaffes such as this. I mean, just because your taxes go to support the public school system doesn't mean that your children should actually be able to take advantage of that education without being indoctrinated into the political views of whomever is running the show!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 09:07 AM

73 posts, read 403,288 times
I think teaching children a second (or third or fourth) language at a young age is a good idea. It seems pretty common elsewhere in the wold. In Europe, it seems like every country speaks every other European country's language... or at least tries to! The, "My language is superior!" attitude seems to be a typical "ugly American" one. I had the same attitude before I got out of my own back yard and realized there was a whole world out there that didn't revolve around me.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 AM

238 posts, read 179,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
What in the hell is this country DOING???!!!
I thought the post was going to say that spanish kids were being forced to learn/speak ENGLISH!!!!!!!
I was going to say HALLELUJAH!!!!!
If I had known, I wouldn't have bothered to read this thread because now my blood is boiling & I have to breathe...
NO ONE should HAVE to speak/learn spanish! EVER!!!!!
This is THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
Language ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!
Comprende?!

elfyum - going to have to take you off the 'A' team with those kind of hysterics...

In Irving, TX - that's a highly visible program, called the 'dual language' program and is/was intended to provide instruction at an early age in both languages for the benefit of all (English only learning Spanish, and Spanish only learning English or Cantonese only learning English/Spanish, etc.) - we have yet to see results. Please note - no one forces participation in this program and there are waiting lists at the local elementary schools.

On a personal note: English immersion only starting at Pre-k (3 yrs old) works! and then one can learn whatever language he/she desires/needs/wants.

Relax elfyum - some of these extraterrestials from the Latin countries are diamonds in the rough and will be your best allies - just be cool and rely on your senses.

Last edited by mountianboomer; 03-22-2007 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlesoup View Post
I think teaching children a second (or third or fourth) language at a young age is a good idea. It seems pretty common elsewhere in the wold. In Europe, it seems like every country speaks every other European country's language... or at least tries to! The, "My language is superior!" attitude seems to be a typical "ugly American" one. I had the same attitude before I got out of my own back yard and realized there was a whole world out there that didn't revolve around me.
Right, BUT, they should be able to choose the language they want to learn.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,874 times
I did not go without electricity, food, gas, etc but my youngest daughter went to a private school. I had two children 15 years apart, a lot of thrift stores, a lot of yard sales, and yes my youngest speaks Spanish,she works in North Miami. We do not nor did we live in anything other than very modest houses and only recently did I have a new truck and that cost 15,000 nothing overboard. I pay far less in taxes for my house than what my daughters school cost, if you can't afford the kid don't have them, and that means to me private school because other than the fact that a second language might be learned, schools in Florida are horrible, and they have been way before the undocumented workers showed up.
Studies have shown that children who learn a second language and learn a musical instrument also do a lot better in math and other subjects.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,157,199 times
Default Oh yes`

I am sure teaching my kids spanish will just open a whole new world to them...give me a break.

The fact is that these issues prove that we no longer have democracy here, just a dictatorship. No choice is not a democracy....And I dont care what the rest of the world is doing in their country since I LIVE HERE. I someone agrees what other countrys are doing, then you should move there, not turn the usa into one of these countries.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Right, BUT, they should be able to choose the language they want to learn.
They don't choose, in many cases. It's taught in grade school. Of course, the child could play dumb and refuse to speak the taught language when he or she grows up. BUT, that would seem pretty....umm...silly, right?

Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I am sure teaching my kids spanish will just open a whole new world to them...give me a break.

The fact is that these issues prove that we no longer have democracy here, just a dictatorship. No choice is not a democracy....And I dont care what the rest of the world is doing in their country since I LIVE HERE. I someone agrees what other countrys are doing, then you should move there, not turn the usa into one of these countries.

This is a perfect example of an, "ugly American" attitude. ME! ME! ME!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:59 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I did not go without electricity, food, gas, etc but my youngest daughter went to a private school. I had two children 15 years apart, a lot of thrift stores, a lot of yard sales, and yes my youngest speaks Spanish,she works in North Miami. We do not nor did we live in anything other than very modest houses and only recently did I have a new truck and that cost 15,000 nothing overboard. I pay far less in taxes for my house than what my daughters school cost, if you can't afford the kid don't have them, and that means to me private school because other than the fact that a second language might be learned, schools in Florida are horrible, and they have been way before the undocumented workers showed up.
Studies have shown that children who learn a second language and learn a musical instrument also do a lot better in math and other subjects.
I'm so glad that you were able to send your children to private school. Unfortunately, here in Southern California where the typical one room tar paper shack rents for $3,000 a month, it just isn't an option for many of us. I think that it's rather presumptuous and well as a tad arrogant of you to assume that just because parents cannot afford private school tuition that they can't afford the children they've had.

My husband, who is a Ph.D. in English Literature, teaches at UC Irvine. I am a full time student in college working on my Anthropology B.A. (on a merit scholarship, I might add). You may not be aware of it, but those who are teaching your children in this state's colleges are not even paid a living wage and must supplement their income by working at more than one college. My husband had heretofore been unable to do so because we were solely responsible for the care of his elderly father before Dad passed away three weeks ago.

We rarely go out to eat, we don't take trips, we own our home, we don't spend our non-existent extra cash going to Disneyland or living the California dream. We barely get by. So please, explain to me exactly how I can rob Peter to pay Paul so that my ten year old son may also partake in this "affordable" private schooling.

I pay taxes in the state. Lots of them. My tax dollars should offer my child a decent education without having to have Spanish shoved down his throat simply because those people in education who worship the deity called "Diversity" can't get their rocks unless they continue to blur the lines between what is legal and what is not.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:07 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm so glad that you were able to send your children to private school. Unfortunately, here in Southern California where the typical one room tar paper shack rents for $3,000 a month, it just isn't an option for many of us. I think that it's rather presumptuous and well as a tad arrogant of you to assume that just because parents cannot afford private school tuition that they can't afford the children they've had.

My husband, who is a Ph.D. in English Literature, teaches at UC Irvine. I am a full time student in college working on my Anthropology B.A. (on a merit scholarship, I might add). You may not be aware of it, but those who are teaching your children in this state's colleges are not even paid a living wage and must supplement their income by working at more than one college. My husband had heretofore been unable to do so because we were solely responsible for the care of his elderly father before Dad passed away three weeks ago.

We rarely go out to eat, we don't take trips, we own our home, we don't spend our non-existent extra cash going to Disneyland or living the California dream. We barely get by. So please, explain to me exactly how I can rob Peter to pay Paul so that my ten year old son may also partake in this "affordable" private schooling.

I pay taxes in the state. Lots of them. My tax dollars should offer my child a decent education without having to have Spanish shoved down his throat simply because those people in education who worship the deity called "Diversity" can't get their rocks unless they continue to blur the lines between what is legal and what is not.

I agree. Personally I think it is rude to say if you cant afford private school you shouldnt have had them. OUR tax dollars go to Public schools, my kids have the right to that education. So basically I have to keep paying for public as well as private? I dont think so. I have 3 school aged kids. I speak 3 languages, English, german and gaelic ( taught by my grandmother) not fluently though. I didnt want to learn spanish, I dont like the language. My son is taking French and Japanese by choice. Learning which language you learn should be a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies