Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:10 AM

24 posts, read 92,723 times

Advertisements

Every day I listen to the talking heads argue about Obama's free health care plan. Some say it would lead to everyone in the USA looking for a handout i.e a free car, free food, free movies, a free computer etc etc. I don't really buy that. Do you? Why or why not? I guess I don't understand what free health care has to do with the entrepreneurial spirit of America. What does the security of someone getting treated for an injury/illness have to do with limiting his/her ability to create a business, or invent a desirable product, or learn a skill etc. etc in order to create capital.
I mean, couldn't free health care save some companies from having to pay for the insurance of its employees thus giving them more money to expand the company?

How much more would taxes be in order to have a free health care system?

Also would hospitals become nationalized under this plan or would the treatment be covered under some sort of government health insurance plan?

Would the quality of health care be diminished with a free health care system? Why or why not?

I guess I am looking for LEGITIMATE non-political party based reasons as to why Free Health Care is or isn't a good endeavor other than it's democrat or not republican. Politics and its tians are what divide this country....but that is a different thread topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
It's bad enough that the insurance companies are telling you how and when you're going to get treated. You want a penny-pinching government-run social healthcare system deciding on your health care? When the cost/benefit ratio to society will be placed higher than whether or not you receive timely and appropriate care?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times
This concept is totally unamerican! First, some people would be paying for the care of others, so basically, my tax money would go to support some nutcase like that woman who chose to have 14 babies and other types of lowlives. Secondly, Government run health systems tend to be very dysfunctional. In Brazil, people stand in line for two hours sometimes just to be able to set up an appointment. In Canada, patients have to be put on waiting lists and sometimes have to wait weeks to get something done. Although I do not agree at all with what we have currently, universal health care is NOT the solution.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
No one is proposing a "free" heatlh care system, that is, one w/o any charges to the patients.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Quote:
universal health care is NOT the solution.
Why wouldn't you want universal health care? That just means everyone has access to healthcare. You're probably looking for single-payer healthcare.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times
We are getting socialized healthcare in this country so we may as well get used to that that will mean.

I'm just interested to know how much the greedy lower half of the income earners are going to be made to pay for the world's healthcare. If we truly want to be more like other countries, I would expect that to mean a substantial percentage of their income.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No one is proposing a "free" heatlh care system, that is, one w/o any charges to the patients.
Ok so clarify to everyone what is it that is being proposed. I still have no idea what the reality of it is.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 AM

272 posts, read 408,131 times
a government run health care woud be a work in progress, if we made sure the motivation was healing and preventing people from getting sick, it would be awesome, today it is based on making money, we need a complete change in our life based on the criminals in washington to wall street to the people involved in the health care industry

nothing is more corrupt and disgusting then the health care system in this country

Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's bad enough that the insurance companies are telling you how and when you're going to get treated. You want a penny-pinching government-run social healthcare system deciding on your health care? When the cost/benefit ratio to society will be placed higher than whether or not you receive timely and appropriate care?

Thanks, but no thanks.
so you are saying that the limitations of health care and the bureaucratic red tape of getting treatment will be much more severe under government health care compared to now?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
We are getting socialized healthcare in this country so we may as well get used to that that will mean.
Liberals are all about "equality", so I will be going to work everyday to pay for the healthcare of that lowlife who is unemployed and has 14 kids and other riff raff. Interesting logic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies