Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Rather than wonder, why don't you look it up?

Better yet, why don't you just get yourself one of those outrageously compensated CEO jobs yerself.

I couldnt accept that much of a wage in good conscience. I would distribute it amongst all employees in the form of wages and benefits or as breaks in until I was making no more then 3 times the lowest paid employee. If that meant janitors being paid $18 an hour, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I couldnt accept that much of a wage in good conscience. I would distribute it amongst all employees in the form of wages and benefits or as breaks in until I was making no more then 3 times the lowest paid employee. If that meant janitors being paid $18 an hour, so be it.

sounds like a great business model, why don't you do it!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Is this something you just dreamed up or do you have some facts to back it up?

France best, US worst in preventable death ranking | Reuters

This is from 2008, but Im sure still very relevant, since US healthcare is getting worse.

To sum it up for you, the US is last amongst all industrialized countries in deaths from preventable illness. In other words, more people die from the flu, gangrene , insect and snake bites, skin cancer, strokes, diabetes, etc then any other industrialized country, most of which, have socialized medicine.

Why is this? Oh yeah, thats right, in the US, 43 million do not go to the doctor unless by ambulance, and most of the rest will not go unless they absolutely have no other option. They do not go for physicals, routine screenings, blood tests, or even check ups.

What does this do? Well, it obviously clears out the doctors office, because nobody is getting the care they SHOULD be getting, because they cant afford it, however, it also leads to over 100k more deaths a year.

For profit medicine is a joke, and always will be.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
sounds like a great business model, why don't you do it!

Why dont you hand me the money to create it, and I gladly will.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
France:
land: 640,053 sq km; 545,630 sq km (metropolitan France)
total:
note: 62,150,775 in metropolitan France

slightly less than the size of Texas

Quote:
So what are the causes of the high debt-to-income ratios in Europe? Expensive labor. Expensive exports. Expensive currency. Small population. High levels of taxation and large social welfare systems. On the international front, European nations are having a difficult time competing with an increasingly devalued dollar (and consequently the Chinese Yuan and The Japanese Yen), and domestically, these nations are taking care of their citizens to a point that would make any red-blooded Texas Republican cringe. And of course, the wealthy classes in these countries are so heavily taxed that money is being pumped back into the country’s extensive social programs that, perhaps counter-intuitively, can affect the economy negatively.
http://www.creditloan.com

Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Maybe if the States where grouped together forming several groups to create large pools of paying customers, placing rural populations into larger pools, pass some sort of legislation compelling the health insurance companies to impose rates based on large groups not thousands of small groups who pay an arm and a leg in fees per month and scrap the pre-existing condition clause. Maybe this would make insurance affordable for small business and individuals and families, maybe. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffb View Post
I guess I am looking for LEGITIMATE non-political party based reasons as to why Free Health Care is or isn't a good endeavor other than it's democrat or not republican. Politics and its tians are what divide this country....but that is a different thread topic.
It won't be free, but it will be cheaper. Nixon is the father of current healthcare system, no wonder it is what it is, and against the principles on which America was founded and governed, at least, more than a hundred years. Corporations weren't meant to influence governance, and today they are the one's running it. And healthcare system has been a great example of it for about 37 years now.

It is time for change, and going back to the fundamentals. Healthcare for all may not be a right, but it is the right thing to do, to be able to focus on other important things that will make America competitive. It will help small businesses be more competitive. How many of us will pick a major corporation to work for, that can provide healthcare benefits versus a small but progressive business that can't?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:50 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdestroyedlife View Post
a government run health care woud be a work in progress, if we made sure the motivation was healing and preventing people from getting sick, it would be awesome, today it is based on making money, we need a complete change in our life based on the criminals in washington to wall street to the people involved in the health care industry

nothing is more corrupt and disgusting then the health care system in this country
Thank You Mr. Moore.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It won't be free, but it will be cheaper. Nixon is the father of current healthcare system, no wonder it is what it is, and against the principles on which America was founded and governed, at least, more than a hundred years. Corporations weren't meant to influence governance, and today they are the one's running it. And healthcare system has been a great example of it for about 37 years now.

It is time for change, and going back to the fundamentals. Healthcare for all may not be a right, but it is the right thing to do, to be able to focus on other important things that will make America competitive. It will help small businesses be more competitive. How many of us will pick a major corporation to work for, that can provide healthcare benefits versus a small but progressive business that can't?
Health Insurance is manipulating the workplace more now than ever. Many people just work for insurance, period. And not only is the workforce being manipulated by the insurance industry so are health care professionals in treating their patients. Totally perverted.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,112 times
I work with two people from Canada. I asked this question the other day. They said that the Canadian system is comparable to ours in both cost (comparable to our company plan) and care. Capitalism is also alive and well in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies