Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
Take a look at France, Germany and England. They all have good doctors and good universal health care systems. What they don't have is 48 millions uninsured people and people who file chapter 11 because of expensive hospital bills.

I've been sick in England. It wasn't good. One week to get into a doctor for an infection. And that was only because I was an American with insurance, who happened to be living in Chelsea.

Otherwise the wait period was 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I would rather pay for those that do not have health care ie.welfare then to overhaul the whole program. You guys have no idea how poor universal health care gets.

Do you know the cost to subsidize or create free healthcare in the private insurance sector for over a 100 million people who arent insured or are insured but cant afford co-pays?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I've been sick in England. It wasn't good. One week to get into a doctor for an infection. And that was only because I was an American with insurance, who happened to be living in Chelsea.

In America, you might have just died from that infection if you didnt have insurance, or were too broke to afford the co pays.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
As I wrote before, nobody cares how much things cost in reality. All that matters is how they show up in the books.

Lets see, if it shows up in the books as LESS then what we are currently spending in medicare and medicaid........

Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
Take a look at France, Germany and England. They all have good doctors and good universal health care systems. What they don't have is 48 millions uninsured people and people who file chapter 11 because of expensive hospital bills.

Where in the world do you get your information? I lived in Germany and England and know first hand about health care. First of all one of my daughters best friends is a doctor in England. She got her licence to practice about the time my daughter graduated with her Piano Performance degree (4 years). There education is lower. Now while living in Germany (on the economy) oone of my daughters almost died because the Polish and German doctor didn't figure out that she needed her appedix taken out. She ended up on life support for 10 days and until I managed to get an American doctor from a USA military base to give her some good old American medicince I wouldn't have her today.

THERE EDUCATION IS INFERIOR and yes it was cheap to have her in intensive care for 10 days, hardly anthing out of pocket. Personally, I would have loved to pay high bucks and had my daughter out of that hosipital in one day.

I lived and visited German doctors for everything and I can tell you we are much superior. I could go on and on with what people have gone through or just die because of their lack of education.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Where in the world do you get your information? I lived in Germany and England and know first hand about health care. First of all one of my daughters best friends is a doctor in England. She got her licence to practice about the time my daughter graduated with her Piano Performance degree (4 years). There education is lower. Now while living in Germany (on the economy) oone of my daughters almost died because the Polish and German doctor didn't figure out that she needed her appedix taken out. She ended up on life support for 10 days and until I managed to get an American doctor from a USA military base to give her some good old American medicince I wouldn't have her today.

THERE EDUCATION IS INFERIOR and yes it was cheap to have her in intensive care for 10 days, hardly anthing out of pocket. Personally, I would have loved to pay high bucks and had my daughter out of that hosipital in one day.

I lived and visited German doctors for everything and I can tell you we are much superior. I could go on and on with what people have gone through or just die because of their lack of education.

And you had no choice....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM

194 posts, read 329,832 times
Suffice to say, most people advocating the health care policies of other countries, Canada, England, France, Cuba, etc. have never been to these countries and truly don't know what they are talking about. Please don't wish for something you don't understand.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:

Interesting story. I too have lived in Germany and England, although not for long, and don't see why anybody here would be telling stories that happen to be daily occurrence in America with insured folks too. In fact, one of my uncles (a doctor, nonetheless) recovered from leukemia and died from overdose during chemotherapy at a hospital in Atlanta a few years ago. I knew an Indian couple who had pretty good insurance coverage but decided to move to India since the wife's condition turned from bad to worse, and within weeks she was healthy again.

No system is perfect. But there is a need for reform, and there is a need to address this big issue of costs (people going bankrupt due to medical costs, with or without insurance), and people being thrown off the bus for "pre-existing conditions", or insurance simply being out of reach.

Healthcare corporations have been running our government since Nixon gave them the green light. It is time for change, and go back to fundamentals. There's a reason the founding fathers were concerned about corporations gaining too much power. It has happened.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinDenver View Post
Suffice to say, most people advocating the health care policies of other countries, Canada, England, France, Cuba, etc. have never been to these countries and truly don't know what they are talking about. Please don't wish for something you don't understand.

Why dont you ask someone with out health care if theyd rather have none in the US, or whatever Canada offers.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM

194 posts, read 329,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Interesting story. I too have lived in Germany and England, although not for long, and don't see why anybody here would be telling stories that happen to be daily occurrence in America with insured folks too. In fact, one of my uncles (a doctor, nonetheless) recovered from leukemia and died from overdose during chemotherapy at a hospital in Atlanta a few years ago. I knew an Indian couple who had pretty good insurance coverage but decided to move to India since the wife's condition turned from bad to worse, and within weeks she was healthy again.

No system is perfect. But there is a need for reform, and there is a need to address this big issue of costs (people going bankrupt due to medical costs, with or without insurance), and people being thrown off the bus for "pre-existing conditions", or insurance simply being out of reach.

Healthcare corporations have been running our government since Nixon gave them the green light. It is time for change, and go back to fundamentals. There's a reason the founding fathers were concerned about corporations gaining too much power. It has happened.
Sorry about your uncle. Horror stories can always be found. We never hear about the successes that we do have here in this country. Lowest mortality of cancer, heart disease, and basically all major medical problems are best treated here. Patients fly from all over the world to have their care here. I've been involved in the health care industry for a long time, and I can tell you that mistakes happen in any system. Even under universal health. We are all human, and human will make mistakes. I just know that the government have failed at just about every think they get their hands on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies