Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Affordable" Health Insurance does not necessarily equate to Universal Health Insurance
Poignant observation! The solution is to remove the insurance / profit motive from the health care dynamic. A single payer (govt) plan merits more discussion than it will get this go around. BTW did you disclose if you are an ins agent? ( or representing such an entity)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
pghquest,
the only reason I would have to pound my head is the way you lie/change and try to deflect the fact that you were proven to be wrong.

Let's refresh your oh so short memory shall we....?

Part of your previous statement was that Wal-Mart would NOT close stores because of unions attempting to organize.

Originally Posted by pghquest
You ready to hear where your wrong? If the government did not subsidize Wal-Mart by giving their low wage employees welfare/benefits, the employees would demand benefits.

So you think Wal-Mart would shut down stores rather then give benefits? I don't think so because ALL stores would need to pay benefits

I then post the links where indeed Wal-Mart have closed stores due to unionization of the store.
At that time my point was made, PERIOD.
No further need to debate or belabor that point, it would be moot to do so.

You then come back with a totally different and contradictory statement to try to prop up a statement you made that was proved to be untrue:

Wal-mart NOW would rather close down stores because THEY HAVE A CHOICE

At this point do YOU even know what you are trying to say.

That's the problem with some people, they get proven wrong and instead of admitting it and re accessing their stand point, they attempt to reword, talk in circles and argue for the sake of arguing.

Nice try, but I think most folk see your contradictions.
Some people would rather continue BEING wrong than to ADMITT they were wrong!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
John Stosell is a washed up ex-hippie hack who has lost all of his journalistic integrity.

The stories that he delivers for ABC lack merit and sound facts. He is self indulgent and self serving in his approach to any story.

In all honesty, I usually could care less if a journalistic is a Rep or a Dem as long as they don't taint their report with an overt bias. A Rep or Dem spin on a story is one thing but to steer a story in a certain predetermined direction is another thing and it completely violates Journalism 101.

John Stosell is an idiot

Old 03-15-2009, 07:17 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
John Stosell is a washed up ex-hippie hack who has lost all of his journalistic integrity.

The stories that he delivers for ABC lack merit and sound facts. He is self indulgent and self serving in his approach to any story.

In all honesty, I usually could care less if a journalistic is a Rep or a Dem as long as they don't taint their report with an overt bias. A Rep or Dem spin on a story is one thing but to steer a story in a certain predetermined direction is another thing and it completely violates Journalism 101.

John Stosell is an idiot
Makes sense then. Most hippies turn into Libertarians. Only the poseur hippies turn democrat.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

John Stosell is an idiot

Some links to underscore this:

The problem with John Stossel isn't his politics; it's his sloppy reporting.

FAIR's Correspondence with ABC RE: John Stossel Organics Report

"NYSUT objects to network's teacher-bashing." March 02, 2006. NYSUT: A Union of Professionals. www.nysut.org

I think Stosell is ready for Fox News!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
BTW did you disclose if you are an ins agent? ( or representing such an entity)
Nope - not an insurance agent nor associated with any insurance company

Happy now?

Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,406 times
Thank you, It is helpful to know what bias may be.........I have mine, just trying to understand yours.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In your younger days, the pay/cost of living ratio was higher also. I know because I did the same thing when I was younger. Do the math today with average entry level wages and living expenses. What was true in the past does not necessarily apply today. This is one reason Republicans are becoming obsolete.
What does apply, and will never change, is the absolute necessity to pull oneself up rather than rely on handouts. When this sinks in again, Republicanism will be miraculously resurrected.

Someone, after all, has to EARN the money. You can't just print it and hand it out, no matter what the jackass party whispers in your ear...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,942,575 times
Interesting thread.

The two things that caught my eye, more hysteria and truth twisting from the left...

Walmart DOES have benefits for non-managerial employees (have a friend, got benefits within 30 days of starting there 1 1/2 years ago after nasty divorce and starting life over at the bottom) Recently, all hours were cut (but not benefits) for non -salaried employees because some of the boycotters are apparently having an effect at her store... way to starve her out people! GENIUS way to get Walmart to change! Go back to the 1960s and boycott something else please.

McDonalds DOES offer "every fry guy" benefits. My 17 year old nephew works there. Doesn't work 20 hours a week, was offered 3 options for medical benefits

... or did you mean benefits in another way? Perhaps some GENIUSES believe his 13-17 hours a week (for which he's almost always late) should qualify him for FREE medical, dental & life insurance PLUS sick days and vacation time?

Gimme a break!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Interesting thread.

The two things that caught my eye, more hysteria and truth twisting from the left...

Walmart DOES have benefits for non-managerial employees (have a friend, got benefits within 30 days of starting there 1 1/2 years ago after nasty divorce and starting life over at the bottom) Recently, all hours were cut (but not benefits) for non -salaried employees because some of the boycotters are apparently having an effect at her store... way to starve her out people! GENIUS way to get Walmart to change! Go back to the 1960s and boycott something else please.

McDonalds DOES offer "every fry guy" benefits. My 17 year old nephew works there. Doesn't work 20 hours a week, was offered 3 options for medical benefits

... or did you mean benefits in another way? Perhaps some GENIUSES believe his 13-17 hours a week (for which he's almost always late) should qualify him for FREE medical, dental & life insurance PLUS sick days and vacation time?

Gimme a break!
I wish people would actually read before posting. We aren't saying that many don't have benefits options now, people fought for them. If you read the thread you would know that this whole debate has been because some people think non-managerial employees don't deserve to have those benefits because it might increase the cost to consumers, without realizing that would force the cost to taxpayers, who would end up paying for the heath care of people who actually want to work, and take care of themselves.

Don't be ridiculous about all the free everything, that's a way of dismissing the problems of this country. Most Americans want to work and take care of their own families without govt. help. We are talking about people who work full time for low wages.

Last edited by detshen; 03-16-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies