Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
If you purchase a car and never drive it on the road (aka a garage queen or for parts), the need for registration does not exist. You do not drive guns on an interstate or highway. Some keep guns as "safe queens" or only fire them in their backyard. Going by your analogy, there is no requirement to register these types of guns. Are we to distinguish guns by whether they are taken to a range or stay on the premises?
This would seem to be what Vsmoove is advocating...if you do not take your firearm out for a spin in public, there is no need for registration....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This would seem to be what Vsmoove is advocating...if you do not take your firearm out for a spin in public, there is no need for registration....
Here's hoping the thread stays alive for a little longer before dropping off, much to the dismay of gun confiscation liberal wingnuts.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,634,663 times
if you google home made guns you can get the directions to making a semi auto 9 mm out of store bought pipe and springs. So criminals will get what they need by stealing or making there own.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
There was a show on ABC this week that followed a kid to a gun show in VA... he came out with about 20 guns and nobody asked him for anything so I don't think those sales are recorded in many states... I think that's the loophole that many people want to close. He even bought a gun while standing on line to get into the gun show... just cash and the gun was handed over. One dealer asked for a driver's license and when he balked, the dealer just asked for $100 more. So, it doesnt sound like those guns at least were registered at all.
Well, as long as this wasn't another ABC setup, those dealers need a visit from BATFE because that is illegal. I and others I know have bought guns, both long guns and handguns from gun shows and each and every time we hd to be checked by NICS. This is federal law so it doesn't matter what state they were in. There are about 20,000 gun laws on the books right now in the US. How many more do we need? An even million maybe? These have proven ineffective it seems so we need more? How about incarcerating gun toting criminals instead of bleeding heart judges letting them plea bargain so they can go on and commit more crimes?
It seems so far the most effictive means of lowering the violent crime rate is to allow law abiding citizens to carry concealed. Virtually every state that has enacted these laws, despite the rantings of the hopolophobes that "There will be blood in the streets!", has seen and maintained a drop in violent crime. No, registration leading to confiscation is not the answer. There is no single answer but one thing that has worked is arming the potential victims.

Last edited by jeepejeep; 04-14-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
if you google home made guns you can get the directions to making a semi auto 9 mm out of store bought pipe and springs. So criminals will get what they need by stealing or making there own.
BAN GOOGLE!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
BAN GOOGLE!
Unfortunately, it really is that simply for the liberal wingnuts.

Ban ammo/gunpowder. Done.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Well, as long as this wasn't another ABC setup, those dealers need a visit from BATFE because that is illegal. I and others I know have bought guns, both long guns and handguns from gun shows and each and every time we hd to be checked by NICS. This is federal law so it doesn't matter what state they were in. There are about 20,000 gun laws on the books right now in the US. How many more do we need? An even million maybe? These have proven ineffective it seems so we need more? How about incarcerating gun toting criminals instead of bleeding heart judges letting them plea bargain so they can go on and commit more crimes?
It seems so far the most effictive means of lowering the violent crime rate is to allow law abiding citizens to carry concealed. Virtually every state that has enacted these laws, despite the rantings of the hopolophobes that "There will be blood in the streets!", has seen and maintained a drop in violent crime. No, registration leading to confiscation is not the answer. There is no single answer but one thing that has worked is arming the potential victims.
I can't imagine it was illegal... he bought guns from many different vendors. I don't know the state of the law but I doubt all of those dealers were breaking the law; I would think that legitimate gun dealers would follow the letter of the law. Maybe the gun show allowed private citizens? I don't know.

Again, I think gun enthusiasts should be able to own guns -- I just think there is a problem in the US with illegal firearms and so we need to think of ways to stop the flow of illegal guns on the street. If registration won't help... maybe closing these gun show loopholes will.

I don't think this is an issue of enforcement either... there are mandatory sentences for anyone convicted of a gun crime; stop talking like it's 1990. If you commit any crime with a gun, you are doing hard time. As you know, the US has the highest rates of incarceration in the world so I don't think crime is happening because we are soft on crime.

Where do you get your stats about concealed weapons licenses leading to lower crime? I just moved from Florida which has very lax gun laws and the crime rate is ridiculous... in fact, many southern cities have the highest crime rate per capita in the nation.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
As for the "assault weapons" that you think should be outlawed, can you define exactly what that term means to you? You're suggesting placing a heavy restriction on a Constitutional right - you should, and we expect you to, know exactly what it is that you're talking about.
By assault weapons, I mean military weapons, or military-like weapons. If what a gun is used for is hunting and personal protection, why would anyone need more than the regular plain guns?

Note: I am NOT knowledgable where firearms are concerned.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Criminals do not buy guns from gun shows....it is a red herring.

Gun crime is quite high in states with strict gun laws...another red herring.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
By assault weapons, I mean military weapons, or military-like weapons. If what a gun is used for is hunting and personal protection, why would anyone need more than the regular plain guns?

Note: I am NOT knowledgable where firearms are concerned.
So a rifle that LOOKS like a military weapon is bad because of the way it looks and should be banned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies