Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
jeep, how did that work exactly? Did registration of all firearms come first and then the ban on semiautos? Did they then use the knowledge of the registration to contact those that owned the semiautos?
I don't live in Cal. (and never will) so I don't know all the exact details. All's I know is that you got rid of the gun or it was confiscated. And yes, they knew just who had them and who to go to to get them because of registration.

Last edited by jeepejeep; 04-14-2009 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:55 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Registration laws cannot be applied to felons as it would be self incrimination.

Only those who are not felons can be prosecuted for not registering a firearm.

How does this stop gun crime exactly??
That's not true... you can read my summary of the Haynes case or the case itself and you'll see that your argument is not true but I doubt you'll stop repeating it. It's not a legitimate reason against registration. The only legitimate reason I have read against the ban is that it is overly broad and captures guns that don't pose a special threat of harm to society. Otherwise, I think registration is essential if law enforcement is to be given the tools to track the flow of illegal firearms in this country. I don't see how it harms the gun enthusiast other than the dire predictions of registrations eventually led to confiscation.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
You mean felons CAN be made to incriminate themselves regarding not registering firearms?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 AM

The USSC:

Quote:
We hold that a proper claim of the constitutional privilege against self-incrimination provides a full defense to prosecutions either for failure to register a firearm under sec.5841 or for possession of an unregistered firearm under sec.5851.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
I would love some thug to break into her house in the middle of the night and for her to be in a situation where her life is at stake and she has to make a split second decion, where a cell phone or her lap dog won't save her, and the only thing that would be is if she packed some heat. Unfortunately, these people already have safety and security guards and whatever so they don't think about such things as the bad guys, and why people have the right to arm themselves against them AND tyranny.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The USSC:
Read the case or read my summary... the holding was specific to a law that basically only required criminals to register... not a general law that would require everyone to register... the former is unconstitutional as ruled by the court... the latter is constitutional even if a felon is nabbed during the registration process.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 AM

The NFA law applied to everyone possessing the listed firearms and types of weapons.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 AM

If a nationwide registration of firearms was passed, how would felons who cannot legally possess firearms not be incriminating themselves by registering those firearms?

You could not prosecute a felon for failing to register as registering a firearm by the felon would be self incrimination.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Not being up on gun laws, I have a couple thoughts.

Registering guns makes sense. It just does, but criminals don't use legitamately registered guns. How does gun registration quell crime? It doesn't.

In the OP, Pelosi said something about keeping guns from crossing state lines. What country does she live in? Nobody can be stopped from carrying a gun, or anything else across STATE lines. People carry dead bodies across state lines. Unless she thinks she can put border patrol along every state line in America, she'll have to rethink that one.

I do think automatic weapons and assault weapons should be outlawed.
The weapons you cite HAVE been 'outlawed'. For general civilian possesion. Since 1938. Oh, you can get one, for a nominal fee( total cost with all the red tape...bout 10-15 grand) and by letting the ATF and FBI crawl over you with an electron microscope. I fail to see how a national rgistration requirement will do anything. If a legal buyer sells a gun to a creep, and he did ye ol' 4473 on the purchase, and the creep gets caught using the weapon in a crime, the legal buyer can be tracked using the 4473. So, technically, we already have a 'registration' in place. Requireing that folks take all their guns to the police station, or whatever, and declare them all...well, what would that accomplish?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If a nationwide registration of firearms was passed, how would felons who cannot legally possess firearms not be incriminating themselves by registering those firearms?

You could not prosecute a felon for failing to register as registering a firearm by the felon would be self incrimination.
Ok... you're the expert... just do yourself a favor and read the case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies