Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The weapons you cite HAVE been 'outlawed'. For general civilian possesion. Since 1938. Oh, you can get one, for a nominal fee( total cost with all the red tape...bout 10-15 grand) and by letting the ATF and FBI crawl over you with an electron microscope. I fail to see how a national rgistration requirement will do anything. If a legal buyer sells a gun to a creep, and he did ye ol' 4473 on the purchase, and the creep gets caught using the weapon in a crime, the legal buyer can be tracked using the 4473. So, technically, we already have a 'registration' in place. Requireing that folks take all their guns to the police station, or whatever, and declare them all...well, what would that accomplish?
NV, what's 4473? Is that applicable to gun shows as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Perhaps the USA should follow Canada's firearm registration program....

It has been a stunning success.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
It applies to all FFL holders.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 AM

An interesting quote from a Canadian MP:

Quote:
"The government has admitted on three separate occasions in the past few years that since handgun registration was implemented in 1934, not one single crime in Canada has been solved using the national pistol registry,"

Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
California needs to establish checkpoints with metal detectors at all of our borders including our borders with other states. Or maybe they could just employ those gun sniffing dogs at the checkpoints.

Well, I suppose that would help the unemployment problem in California - you'd need thousands and thousands of people to accomplish that. Not sure how you'd cover the vast desert areas along the CA/NV border, but hey - I'm sure you have a solution for that, too!

Quote:
but the ban of automatic assault weapons is an issue supported by most Americans -- most polls show even gun owners supporting the ban on automatic weapons.
psssttt - your ignorance is showing

Others have already nailed you on the difference between an "automatic" weapon and what's in the AWB, so I'll leave it at that. Your statement above tells me all I need to know about how informed you are about the issue. The fact that you're not only in support of the ban, but are being so vocal about it, despite having NO CLUE as to what it's actually about is very disturbing, to be quite frank. You symbolize the brainwashing effect that the Clinton administration was shooting for (pun intended) perfectly. Please don't vote until you get a handle on the facts surrounding this subject.

And you apparently have some background in law. That's terrifying. What the hell are they teaching in law school these days?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I do think automatic weapons and assault weapons should be outlawed.
Automatic weapons have been virtually illegal since the 30s. It is possible to get one, but it's prohibitively expensive for anyone but a wealthy collector, and you have to surrender your 4th Amendment rights to obtain the license. Nobody who goes through the trouble of legally obtaining an automatic weapon is going to risk all that they have - and they're likely to have a lot to lose - to use it illegally.

As for the "assault weapons" that you think should be outlawed, can you define exactly what that term means to you? You're suggesting placing a heavy restriction on a Constitutional right - you should, and we expect you to, know exactly what it is that you're talking about.

Quote:
the dire predictions of registrations eventually led to confiscation.
It's been the case in virtually every country it's been done.

The old saying about insanity being defined as repeating the same action and expecting a different result comes to mind.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,248,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Others have already nailed you on the difference between an "automatic" weapon and what's in the AWB, so I'll leave it at that. Your statement above tells me all I need to know about how informed you are about the issue. The fact that you're not only in support of the ban, but are being so vocal about it, despite having NO CLUE as to what it's actually about is very disturbing, to be quite frank. You symbolize the brainwashing effect that the Clinton administration was shooting for (pun intended) perfectly. Please don't vote until you get a handle on the facts surrounding this subject.

It's been the case in virtually every country it's been done.

The old saying about insanity being defined as repeating the same action and expecting a different result comes to mind.
If you pay attention, I already stated that the over-inclusivenss of the ban is a good argument that should be addressed. But of course you gloss over that because you're just itching to argue something. Unlike you, I'm also here to listen to opposing viewpoints... although there are so few thoughtful conservatives on here that I may not stick around... it's like going to a Palin rally or something.

With respect to other countries, again, since when did conservatives view the US as the same as other countries? Since when did conservatives ever think our Constitution and the principles behind them can be tossed away as easily as Austria does? Give me a break. You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth on this issue... either the US is a special place that cannot be compared to Europe or it is not... you can't use the argument selectively. I, for one, do not think that the government can get away with "banning all guns" in the face of the Heller ruling... it's an impossiblity. You can fight about the restrictions all day and that's part of democracy but you lose your argument when you bring in all this conspiracy theory nonsense.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
As Oz said, a licensed dealer has to have this form for all sales of firearms. Yes they apply to gun shows as well. Private sales at gun shows used to be exempt, but not any more. Not here anyway. I can't speak for all states but I thought the new requirement was Federal. Am I mistaken...anyone? It must be cus it's a Federal form. The guns serial number is recorded on it, the dealers lic. personal info (drivers lic. required and SSN as well) then the info on the form is used for the instant check that the dealer calls in (law enforcement handles the criminal/ mental records check) and you pass or fail on your background that is on record. There is talk of this applyng to private sales out of ones home now as well. You want to sell a gun to one of your buddies, gotta get a 4473. Now how that form is to be recorded and how they intend to enforce such sales ..... Good question. I don't know.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 AM

In Canada registration has accomplished little and has cost a fortune....it will of course be much more expensive here as there are more firearms and people....

Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,975,389 times
Quote:
you lose your argument when you bring in all this conspiracy theory nonsense.
So the majority of the Swiss who support gun ownership principally for defense of homeland and from government are conspiracy theorists?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As Oz said, a licensed dealer has to have this form for all sales of firearms. Yes they apply to gun shows as well. Private sales at gun shows used to be exempt, but not any more. Not here anyway. I can't speak for all states but I thought the new requirement was Federal. Am I mistaken...anyone? It must be cus it's a Federal form. The guns serial number is recorded on it, the dealers lic. personal info (drivers lic. required and SSN as well) then the info on the form is used for the instant check that the dealer calls in (law enforcement handles the criminal/ mental records check) and you pass or fail on your background that is on record. There is talk of this applyng to private sales out of ones home now as well. You want to sell a gun to one of your buddies, gotta get a 4473. Now how that form is to be recorded and how they intend to enforce such sales ..... Good question. I don't know.
Yes you can still buy or sell your private property in other states...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies