Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Again, if the list is overly broad, then that's a separate matter... but the ban of automatic assault weapons is an issue supported by most Americans -- most polls show even gun owners supporting the ban on automatic weapons. I agree that it looks like the list is bigger than it should be but that's something that can be dealt with without throwing out the whole idea of the ban.

none of the firearms listed is even an assault rifle. so tell me now what do they actually want banned and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Not being up on gun laws, I have a couple thoughts.

Registering guns makes sense. It just does, but criminals don't use legitamately registered guns. How does gun registration quell crime? It doesn't.

In the OP, Pelosi said something about keeping guns from crossing state lines. What country does she live in? Nobody can be stopped from carrying a gun, or anything else across STATE lines. People carry dead bodies across state lines. Unless she thinks she can put border patrol along every state line in America, she'll have to rethink that one.

I do think automatic weapons and assault weapons should be outlawed.

automatic and assault weapons are already tightly controlled by the federal goverment, and the AWB that the current democratic congress wants to ban has nothing to do at all with these firearms.

what they wnt banned is firearms capable of semi-automatic fire only, meaning 1 pull of the trigger firing 1 bullet.

so why do you think that these firearms should be banned from the law abiding public?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Nobody on this thread has argued for a ban that I can tell.

people have stated that an AWB would be good to have again. do you think the B in the AWB does not mean ban?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM

472 posts, read 740,539 times
Quote:
Again, if the list is overly broad, then that's a separate matter... but the ban of automatic assault weapons is an issue supported by most Americans -- most polls show even gun owners supporting the ban on automatic weapons. I agree that it looks like the list is bigger than it should be but that's something that can be dealt with without throwing out the whole idea of the ban.
Today 02:55 PMvsmooveNobody on this thread has argued for a ban that I can tell.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
Today 02:55 PMvsmooveNobody on this thread has argued for a ban that I can tell.
I'm obviously saying that nobody is arguing against a total ban of guns... but feel free to make up your own argument.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
I'm obviously saying that nobody is arguing against a total ban of guns... but feel free to make up your own argument.
No, you're not obviously saying that at all.

But whatever. Just keep on shiftin' those goal posts around - you'll make a touchdown eventually.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,865,417 times
So you ARE admitting you want to ban some firearms...the ones you don't like?

For no real reason either.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Registration laws cannot be applied to felons as it would be self incrimination.

Only those who are not felons can be prosecuted for not registering a firearm.

How does this stop gun crime exactly??
Felons can be prosecuted for possessing a weapon AND for possessing a non-registered weapon.

Just a quick question for you: How many criminals were non-criminals just minutes and seconds before they committed their first crime? The answer would be: 100% of them.

Criminals are not born criminals. They have to commit a crime to become a criminal.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,865,417 times
No felons cannot be made to incriminate themselves by registering an illegal firearm.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
would you like it if the goverment wanted you to register your newspaper, computer and tv before you could buy 1, and then you could only buy 1 a month?
If you can show me one case where a family was murdered with a TV set, I will agree with you.

If you can show me just one high school or college massacre where students were beaten to death with newspapers, I will agree with you.

If you can show me just one police report where a criminal walked into a convenience store and killed the clerk by messing with the store computer, I will agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies