Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

I heard them say on NPR that there is no scientific evidence that closing the border would help. Just repeating what I heard.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I heard them say on NPR that there is no scientific evidence that closing the border would help. Just repeating what I heard.
I think at this point it would be like opening a jug of Ebola virus on a plane, then having everyone move to first class to be safe. Kinda sorta just don't work that way.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 PM

573 posts, read 801,669 times
We've had one death and a few dozen reported cases. So what?
This sounds like the Chicken Little panic over the bird flu all over again.

Memories are sooooo short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Center for Disease Control web site

Every year in the United States, on average:

* 5% to 20% of the population gets the flu;
* more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related complications; and
* about 36,000 people die from flu-related causes.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Default Swine flu is less severe than expected

from latimes.com:

Scientists studying the virus are concluding that it isn't as deadly as its 1918 counterpart, or even the average flu.

As the World Health Organization raised its infectious disease alert level Wednesday and health officials confirmed the first death linked to swine flu inside U.S. borders, scientists studying the virus are coming to the consensus that this hybrid strain of influenza -- at least in its current form -- isn't shaping up to be as fatal as the strains that caused some previous pandemics.

In fact, the current outbreak of the H1N1 virus, which emerged in San Diego and southern Mexico late last month, may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare.

Swine flu is less severe than expected - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Engineered.

YouTube - Mexican Flu Outbreak 2009: SPECIAL REPORT by Dr Leonard Horowitz

Wish I had money to invest in silver right now.

Don't take too much lest you turn into a smurf.

Papa Smurf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahihG...eature=related

http://www.wpxi.com/video/19313969/index.html (broken link)

Last edited by ergohead; 04-29-2009 at 11:59 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
I can't believe all the bigotry on this board! First of all, those who wrote that the couple whose baby died came to the United States just to get medical care must not be parents. After all, if your baby was sick with a fever, would you wait that long or travel far? Second, they flew from Mexico City to a border town and then drove to Brownsville to visit relatives. So that's saving money?

The stereotype of all Mexicans being poor is based on the immigrants who come here for work. There are also a lot of professionals living in Mexico. There are also a lot of very rich people. Not everyone is a day laborer or farm worker. Believe me, if you've read my other posts, you know I don't even like pressing 1 for English! So this isn't just a liberal rant.

However, to assume these people came to this country for any other reason than to visit relatives, as all the articles indicate, is nothing but prejudice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I think at this point it would be like opening a jug of Ebola virus on a plane, then having everyone move to first class to be safe. Kinda sorta just don't work that way.
I like your analogy! That's the way I often feel about non-smoking sections.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:34 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I can't believe all the bigotry on this board! First of all, those who wrote that the couple whose baby died came to the United States just to get medical care must not be parents. After all, if your baby was sick with a fever, would you wait that long or travel far? Second, they flew from Mexico City to a border town and then drove to Brownsville to visit relatives. So that's saving money?

The stereotype of all Mexicans being poor is based on the immigrants who come here for work. There are also a lot of professionals living in Mexico. There are also a lot of very rich people. Not everyone is a day laborer or farm worker. Believe me, if you've read my other posts, you know I don't even like pressing 1 for English! So this isn't just a liberal rant.

However, to assume these people came to this country for any other reason than to visit relatives, as all the articles indicate, is nothing but prejudice.

I like your analogy! That's the way I often feel about non-smoking sections.
Actually, they did come to the states for medical care according to the press conference given by the doctors. The medical care just had nothing to do with the virus. They were in Houston for the medical care in early April then returned to Brownsville where the child first started showing symptoms and then was sent back to Houston. Lotsa folks from all over (other countries included) go to the medical center in Houston for medical care nothing new about that.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Well, as I've said before in this thread, I agree that the media has hyped it, but I'm wondering ... at what point does the outbreak of a potentially deadly variant of the flu warrant more attention? What's your opinion?
That's a good question and I'm not sure that I have a good answer other than:

"At some point after 0.000002% of the nation's citizens have fallen ill." This has affected fewer people in the United States than the baseball steroid scandal.

Please understand that I don't believe anyone can point fingers at the staff of organizations like the CDC or the WHO for executing their respective missions, the craziness is limited to the journalism and philosophy majors who are reporting it.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:13 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

"At some point after 0.000002% of the nation's citizens have fallen ill." This has affected fewer people in the United States than the baseball steroid scandal.

Please understand that I don't believe anyone can point fingers at the staff of organizations like the CDC or the WHO for executing their respective missions, the craziness is limited to the journalism and philosophy majors who are reporting it.
I believe you. It's a really hard thing to judge, I think. I was just curious as to what you thought of the media's role. Regarding the CDC & WHO, I absolutely agree with you; they are doing their jobs, and doing them well.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

Good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies