Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I understood what he was saying perfectly. It's too bad you didn't.

They weren't stereotypes. He was using examples of what a homophobic culture does to people, even to straight guys. They're so afraid that someone might think they're gay, they have to take extra steps to reinforce the impression that they're not.

I'm confident that most people here understood what he was saying.
I think the gay community reinforces their own stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think the gay community reinforces their own stereotypes.
You would.

And you know, anyone could say the same thing about any group of people. It's meaningless. Here: The black community reinforces their own stereotypes. It's true because I say it is. That's the thinking of LuckyGem right there.

It's a no-win situation with you. You want gays in the closet, but when you see them advertising on Craigslist, even that's too much for you to handle. Why you're counting the number of ads on Craigslist M4M, I don't know, but I do believe that you won't be happy until gays are completely silenced - or dead. One or the other.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
I have seen both movies.

It's not acceptable for females to crossdress as men in an attempt to deceive people that they're actually a boy. It goes against the natural grain. And she was a sad pathetic case. I felt sorry for her.

Harvey Milk was killed because he crossed another guy who wanted political favor. Not because he was gay.

What's your point again?

Matthew Shepard is probably the only genuine instance of a gay lynching that has been in the public eye. Ultimately, the crime was murder and it doesn't make it any more shocking that the boy was killed because he was gay. Murder is murder and the motivation behind it doesn't matter.
Actually he was a meth head and had gay sex with the guys who killed him. The media never told the truth, until NBC of all outlets revealed the truth.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Murder for robbery - you prosecute them for murder, and robbery. Robbery is a physical action.

Murder for being homosexual - You prosecute the murder. the motivation behind killing someone being gay is not relevant. you can't prosecute a "thought" crime.

And every state does not recognize "hate crimes" as being prosecutable.

yes, you get prosecuted for murder but because it is a "hate crime" which is on the books you get extra time for it in prison.

just because every state does not prosecute for hate crimes does not mean some crimes are not commit because of hate. hello hitler!

are you so closed that you can't imagine someone being killed because they are hated for their religion, race or their sexual preferences?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Actually he was a meth head and had gay sex with the guys who killed him. The media never told the truth, until NBC of all outlets revealed the truth.
Yes I believe I heard that.

Do you think they killed him because he was gay or because after they had their way with him to cover up what they had done? Now that I think about it, that's probably why they killed him - to cover up what they had done to him - I don't think they killed him BECAUSE he was gay. And this was the watershed case for which Clinton signed the hate crimes legislation.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:28 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
so lucky you think there is no such thing as a "hate" crime?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Example:

When a neo-nazi defaces a synagogue with a swastika - the action that is prosecutable is vandalism. People place too much value on "thought crimes". You can't prosecute them for hating Jewish people. You have to prosecute them for the crime.

That is the way the legal system worked until 1994 when the "hate crime" legislation came about as a response to crimes committed against people of a particular minority group.

It's not a crime to hate someone.

But it is a crime to murder someone or commit crimes against them.

An attorney can press for having "hate crimes" to be part of a criminal case, and all it does is add special circumstances to the case.

It's not illegal to hate a particular group. It's illegal to kill them.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
And how do you know what's true and what's not? I have a feeling you believe whatever "truths" fit your own personal opinions.

Interesting that one of the murderers would use the "gay panic defense" - especially if he had had sex with Shepard.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I don't think they killed him BECAUSE he was gay.
Again, then why did they use the "gay panic defense"?

I know you have a hard time mustering up any sympathy for a gay person, but maybe you could try it - just once.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I don't think she even believes that the motive behind a crime should be recorded.

If someone is killed, I guess she believes that the police should just record it as a murder and not ask any questions about anything.

Maybe she'll surprise us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies