Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 05:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You all (homosexuals) now want us (heterosexuals) to question if we are "normal" because we are heterosexual!!!
That accusation is laughable. Where did you get that idea?

Quote:
The article clearly stated the purpose of the training was to push the homosexual agenda.
And that article came from a right-wing Christian news organization. They clearly don't accept the fact that homosexuality is normal.

Quote:
If people don't accept homosexuality as normal they have "issues"!!!!...riiiight.
I don't agree with her on that. You really should try to calm down. Multiple exclamation points are unnecessary.

Quote:
But again address the points I made, don't sidestep the issue.
I have addressed your points.

Quote:
You people want inclusiveness at the price of silencing anyone's right to disagree with you.
There's disagreement every day here on this board and all over the world on the topic of homosexuality. You're not being silenced at all. You're being challenged, and it bothers you a lot.

And I'm not sure why you say "you people". Most heteros believe that homos deserve to be treated fairly. This isn't a "straight versus gay" issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM

654 posts, read 466,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Even if there's not a specific "gay program", I think it's a good idea to have a program about tolerance or an anti-bullying program where it's taught that all forms of harassment and bullying are not acceptable at school, and gays should be mentioned in that program.
We are going to disagree here. I am not a fan of legislating and mandating morality. I don't think that is the proper use of the law. If the school cannot find tolerant teachers, then find new ones. If kids pick on each other, like they most likely will, then reprimand them.

Perhaps I am just old school since I think it is the parents job to raise children of character and it is not a state responsibility. I think school is for science, math, English, sports, music, and art, not to teach values codified by laws.

Personally, I would be pissed if I had to attend one of these programs. I don't need other people telling me how to be nice to people, like I don't need teachers telling me cheating is wrong. That is an insult to anyone who is courtesy and honest.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
We are going to disagree here. I am not a fan of legislating and mandating morality.
I guess you're saying that sexual orientation is a moral issue. If that's the case, then we really disagree. If sexual orientation is a moral issue to you, then you must believe that people choose their sexual orientation. Is that correct?

Quote:
Perhaps I am just old school since I think it is the parents job to raise children of character and it is not a state responsibility.
It's nice if it happens that way, but I don't assume that parents do those things.

Quote:
I think school is for science, math, English, sports, music, and art, not to teach values codified by laws.
I understand what you're saying about science, math, etc., but I really don't know what you're saying about teaching values codified by laws.

Quote:
Personally, I would be pissed if I had to attend one of these programs. I don't need other people telling me how to be nice to people, like I don't need teachers telling me cheating is wrong. That is an insult to anyone who is courtesy and honest.
We're talking about school children here, not adults. I'm assuming you're an adult.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM

654 posts, read 466,373 times
Quote:
I guess you're saying that sexual orientation is a moral issue. If that's the case, then we really disagree. If sexual orientation is a moral issue to you, then you must believe that people choose their sexual orientation. Is that correct?
Nope, I never said that. I see people as individuals who all deserve respect and dignity, unless proven otherwise.

Quote:
It's nice if it happens that way, but I don't assume that parents do those things.
Well, there lies the problem. But unless the parents are proven delinquent, it is not a state responsibility to raise children.

Quote:
I understand what you're saying about science, math, etc., but I really don't know what you're saying about teaching values codified by laws.
It is a value judgment to mandate pro-homosexual training. It targets a specific group for a specific cause. I am guessing that it goes beyond the basic teaching of humanity. We might as well start a pro-atheist training, pro-Muslim training, pro-Hispanic training, a pro-Inuit training, etc. We can't discriminate against any group and must make sure that everyone gets treated differently.

Quote:
We're talking about school children here, not adults. I'm assuming you're an adult.
I am an adult and learned basic values as a child.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM

I'm sorry, Taxes, but I'm really not sure of what you're saying. I think we may be talking about different things here.

I think it's important to teach kids that there's a variety of people in the world. I also think it's important to talk specifically about groups who commonly have had to deal with discrimination and rejection based on ignorance. It doesn't ensure that those groups won't be harassed, but it's better than saying nothing about it at all.

It's not "pro-homosexual" to acknowledge that homosexuality exists in humans and throughout the animal kingdom, and that it's considered normal. It's just stating the facts as best as we know them.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
So you think a teacher's religious beliefs takes precedence over their performance of their job? If the job offends his religious beliefs, he should find a different job.
I'm sure you'd laud the teacher if the standard was to denounce homosexuality in the performance of one's job but I find most who support homosexuality are rabidly intolerant and hypocritical to the nth degree.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Traditional Christianity is what made the world and our society so backward.

Jesus was a teacher, a peace maker, healer, and a compassionate person that accepted many different types of people. He didn't preach and teach on a glorified pulpit in a high tech building nor demand cash from his followers like Christians of today do. Jesus didn't throw his followers into a pit of fire for disobeying him. He invited them to supper, prayed for his enemies, and or healed them.

The teachings of God were laid down in scripture by fallible humans and then misinterpreted throughout time. Jesus died for mankind's sin and hoped that people would be God worshiping and loving people. A lot of people are not that way. They are cold blooded idiots with evil on their mind, not Jesus, not God, but evil.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Jesus was a teacher, a peace maker, and a compassionate person that accepted many different types of people.
That's what good people do.

People who are judgmental about those who are different are "toxic people."

Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
And that article came from a right-wing Christian news organization. They clearly don't accept the fact that homosexuality is normal.
Nor does nature that's why it prevents them from breeding.

Quote:
And I'm not sure why you say "you people". Most heteros believe that homos deserve to be treated fairly. This isn't a "straight versus gay" issue.
Yet you whine every time I counter your points. How funny you now embrace an opposing view. At least when it's you offering it. More of that gay agenda hypocrisy in action.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Traditional Christianity is what made the world and our society so backward.

Jesus was a teacher, a peace maker, healer, and a compassionate person that accepted many different types of people. He didn't preach and teach on a glorified pulpit in a high tech building nor demand cash from his followers like Christians of today do. Jesus didn't throw his followers into a pit of fire for disobeying him. He invited them to supper, prayed for his enemies, and or healed them.

The teachings of God were laid down in scripture by humans and then misinterpreted throughout time. Jesus died for mankind's sin and hoped that people would be God worshiping and loving people. A lot of people are not that way. They are cold blooded idiots.
You mean when he was calling people perverse, a generation of vipers, hypocrites, etc., He being all loving. Sounds pretty damning and judgmental to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies