Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you fly the flag
Yes, heritage not hate! 65 19.35%
No, I think its a symbol of hate 152 45.24%
No, but I would if I lived elsewhere 12 3.57%
No, I don't fly flags, but I have no problem with it 61 18.15%
Don't care either way 46 13.69%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM

295 posts, read 320,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I am an American, why celebrate treason
If you have, you have committed treason! Why vote for a man who will earn triple what you make in a year and does not listen to a word you say?

Treason is supporting a CORRUPT, DISLOYAL, and DISHONEST GOVERNMENT and you have a nerve to call the Confederacy treason!

Look around you, read the news, and look at the DEGREGATION OF THIS NATION!
We the people, what a good for nothing JOKE!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 PM

383 posts, read 222,726 times
Well I guess if people fly the American flag they are committing treason as well since England called the founding fathers and the patriots who fought with them traitors.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:36 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
No, I do not fly Confederate flags as they are not part of my heritage. I see no problem with people flying it if they wish though. Yes some use it as a provocative symbol, but others don't. Some look at it with disdain; some look at it with pride in their ancestors who fought in the Civil War or in their "Southerness". Texans feel the same about their State flag...more so than probably any other state.

I personally fly the Comanche Nation flag over all other flags. To those who look with disdain at the Confederate flags and see it as a symbol of oppression: did it ever occur to you that there are some in this nation that sometimes look at the Stars and Stripes in the same same way you look at Confederate flags? We are called Indians.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-20-2010 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I know this is a controversial topic, but I am truly interested.

I live in NY, where I would probably get killed for flying the flag. I honestly think it is a beautiful flag, and I love the history behind it. The symbolism, that an abusive government that punishes certain states can be thrown out, and that states have the right to secede.

So do you fly a Battle Flag, either on your vehicle (could be a bumper sticker), your house (inside or outside).

I am more interested in people who actually fly the flag, why do you do it, and where do you live. I have seen a few in PA, OH, and MANY further South, as well as a few as far west as Arizona. (the only place in the upper South where I don't see them is Northern VA, DC, and Maryland).
Kind of a bunch of worthless losers.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I know this is a controversial topic, but I am truly interested.

I live in NY, where I would probably get killed for flying the flag. I honestly think it is a beautiful flag, and I love the history behind it. The symbolism, that an abusive government that punishes certain states can be thrown out, and that states have the right to secede.

So do you fly a Battle Flag, either on your vehicle (could be a bumper sticker), your house (inside or outside).

I am more interested in people who actually fly the flag, why do you do it, and where do you live. I have seen a few in PA, OH, and MANY further South, as well as a few as far west as Arizona. (the only place in the upper South where I don't see them is Northern VA, DC, and Maryland).
I'm native NY'r and it never occurred to me to kill you over a flag. Wonder where you got that idea? I have wondered for years if there was a prohibition on country music stations. Maybe an obscure ordinance? Whatever it was, turns out there are quite a few bluegrass & zydeco fans in NYC.

This was discussed elaborately in another thread. I listened until they proved the majority of confederate flag wavers were in fact not representing a proud heritage, but snickering hatefully holding a perpetual grudge. Symbolism of an abusive government is not the proud heritage, but you've proven my point in your OP.

It has been and continues to be used as a symbol of recruiting treason. I find it sad that those who see the true heritage behind it don't defend it from those among them defiling memories of the fallen. I see no meaningful responsibility taking place around the confederate flag by those who claim love yet reliably embody hatred. This isn't just about blacks.

The co-opting by malevolence is unabated sad to say. Might as well ban it altogether, keep it in a museum safe from abuse and disrespect. This imaginary animosity toward the south installed by southerners-- in all my years I've never heard of any northerner taking that flag and burning it in public effigy. IMO northerners have done a better job respecting that flag by not laying a hand on it than the majority of southerners hiding nefarious agendas behind it.

When I see the south stand up to garbage definitively my view would change. Yes they do have a great deal to be proud of, but when the confederate flag represents denizens pining away over an alternative version of the constitution and to heck with the one we've got, you bet that's offensive. I didn't decide what that flag meant, their behavior & attitude did.

YouTube - REBEL SON - ON THE WARPATH
Southerners being truthful about their attitudes could have a coalition of tourism stationing this young man at the mason dixon line to announce clearly that American laws don't apply to this region of the country because they mean to do it their own way. When they're displeased with what someone is building for themselves, they'll burn it down. According to this young man and his fans, that is the 'southern way'. Belles and Beaus and famed southern hospitality can go in the museum too if they're going to be kicked around by punks. Truly sad.

Southerners-- whenever you're ready to tell the world he doesn't represent you... I'm hearing hate from your kids. Who did that to them?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:41 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm native NY'r and it never occurred to me to kill you over a flag. Wonder where you got that idea?
No kidding! I grew up in a neighborhood in Detroit that was at least 60% black and there was a family that flew the Confederate flag across the street. Judging by their house, they were the worst sort of semi-literate human swine imaginable. When they moved out the place became a crack house. It made no difference to us.

The vast majority of the time, flying or displaying a Confederate flag is a racial provocation. I myself happen to believe in the right of secession, but I wouldn't display that flag.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:11 AM

383 posts, read 222,726 times
Rebel son is one of my favorite bands

Old 04-24-2010, 07:53 PM

295 posts, read 320,548 times
STUPID AMERICANS, you can display any damn flag NAZI , JAPANEESE'IMPERIAL', SOVIET, CUBAN, and the reason is, we are free AMERICAN citizens and we do have a CONSTITUTION that says so!!!

The Confederate flag wasn't made a controversy of until the NAACP, Al Sharpton, and the ill Reverend Jesse needed attention to their useless causes in HUMAN SOCIETY!

CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL CEMETERY in Marrietta, Georgia gives me my right to honor Veterans of an American War, the War between the states, so my CONFEDERATE FLAG will fly forever!!!

If people in Maine or Montana want to fly the Confederate flag you can be my guest!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Stars and Strips and Stars and Bars are history. the Mexican flag is taking over now. thank any politician

Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Being a northerner myself, I don't fly the confederate flag. I don't really have the heritage or ancestral history of southerners who fly it. I only know of one person that does, and he does so in his belief in state's rights, not out of racial hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies