Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times

Advertisements

Well the CD bigots have spoken.

It will not work here because we have too many Mexicans and Blacks.

They just can't be taught to be as sophisticated as white Europeans...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, it doesn't apply to cases where personal responsibility is simply not enough. You can be the most responsible person on the planet, and it is simply not enough in the situation I explained to you. Don't you get it?
I get it. Government should provide for everyone. There should be no exceptions, and everyone should be provided for equally. Provide for all regardless of their circumstances, even those who could provide for themselves but refuse.

Do I get it? Oh yes, I get it. That's a very twentieth century concept that failed in many countries.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:53 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
In Depth: World's Happiest Places - Forbes.com

The above is a site of the countries that have the happiest population in the world. I believe every one have socialized medicine.

I wonder why that is?????????????????????????????/

Those are some pretty gay countries.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
I get it. Government should provide for everyone. There should be no exceptions, and everyone should be provided for equally. Provide for all regardless of their circumstances, even those who could provide for themselves but refuse.-.
You said that, I didn't.

Whatever makes you happy Jay.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
I'm just dying to have congress be able to vote themselves more money and say it's all for better health.

The 2 + 2 = 2 crowd should feel me on that one.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Horse View Post
In Depth: World's Happiest Places - Forbes.com

The above is a site of the countries that have the happiest population in the world. I believe every one have socialized medicine.

I wonder why that is?????????????????????????????/
Denmark:

Quote:
However, at present the number of working-age Danes living mostly on government transfer payments amounts to more than 644.000 persons roughly 23% of the working-age population). The heavy load of government transfer payments burdens other parts of the system. Health care, other than for acute problems, and care for the elderly and children have particularly suffered, while taxes remain at a prohibitive level. More than one-fourth of the labor force is employed in the public sector.

Sounds like the life...

So all those countries added up together are equal to what? 20% of the US?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No I don't think you are a stronger country when your citizens are content. I think you are just content. Being content doesn't spur great innovation. And it doesn't make you any safer from external threats. I assume you are from Canada and your safety is related to your proximity to the US. Any attack on you would be viewed as an attack on us. You are lucky to have us spend such a large percentage of our GDP on defense so you don't have to.

I am not sure where religious fundamentalism comes into play. You seem to imply that the lack of religion makes one more content, I see no evidence that supports that. The US has separation of church and state.
Did I equate strength with military strength?

I agree that there is a safety net being in proximity to the United States and if you knew all the contributions Canada has made towards the pact, you might not be so brazen. In the 1950's Canada was keen on developing a top of the line interceptor that was a technological marvel of its day - the Avro Arrow and that program was killed due to American intervention because a strong Canadian military didn't sit well with your leaders. Canada in the 50's could have also developed nuclear weapons (which btw begs the question, did the U.S acquire Uranium for its nukes from Canada at all YES), but again I presume that the decision was made to leave military strenght to the U.S. BTW many of the engineers in the Avro company became Canadian Expats working for various U.S governmental agencies and private corporations in the U.S.

Do you really think the U.S wants a very strong Canadian military. Probably not, the U.S has always wanted to be top dog (its not a bad thing - but a humble top dog is preferable to an arrogant one) and in particular with its immediate neighbours. Yet every once in awhile some pinhead on FOX rambles on about how weak our military is blah blah blah just because we don't always act the puppet part. As they sit in their studios quite possible powered from Canadian resources.

In terms of georgraphy, look at Norway they are far from the U.S. They are not a military powerhouse but bordered by military powers - UK, France, Germany and Russia... is Norway threatened by them - no, but they are close to Norway, fortunately International civility is at its best in this era vs in the past.

Having said that, both countries offer the other alot and i'm not going to get into a versus argument.

As for your comment about church and state. Once gay marriage accepted throughout your country, than I agree with you. I was making a general assumption and yes, I still feel as though the U.S is a great country even though its not on a list. I've been there many times and the people are wonderful and by and large happy lol.

In addition, it is harder for a country with 300 million people to make them as content as with a nation of 33 million people... I get that, but it doesn't change reality! The U.S can't be on the top of every list in every category. Neither can Canada or any other country. Why so defensive because a list says the general populace in these countries are happier?

Last edited by mississauga75; 05-11-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 10:07 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said that, I didn't.

Whatever makes you happy Jay.
Jay?

OK, Fred.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Did I equate strength with military strength?

I agree that there is a safety net being in proximity to the United States and if you knew all the contributions Canada has made towards the pact, you might not be so brazen. In the 1950's Canada was keen on developing a top of the line interceptor that was a technological marvel of its day - the Avro Arrow and that program was killed due to American intervention because a strong Canadian military didn't sit well with your leaders. Canada in the 50's could have also developed nuclear weapons (which btw begs the question, did the U.S acquire Uranium for its nukes from Canada at all YES), but again I presume that the decision was made to leave military strenght to the U.S. BTW many of the engineers in the Avro company became Canadian Expats working for various U.S governmental agencies and private corporations in the U.S.

Do you really think the U.S wants a very strong Canadian military. Probably not, the U.S has always wanted to be top dog (its not a bad thing - but a humble top dog is preferable to an arrogant one) and in particular with its immediate neighbours. Yet every once in awhile some pinhead on FOX rambles on about how weak our military is blah blah blah just because we don't always act the puppet part. As they sit in their studios quite possible powered from Canadian resources.

In terms of georgraphy, look at Norway they are far from the U.S. They are not a military powerhouse but bordered by military powers - UK, France, Germany and Russia... is Norway threatened by them - no, but they are close to Norway, fortunately International civility is at its best in this era vs in the past.

Having said that, both countries offer the other alot and i'm not going to get into a versus argument.

As for your comment about church and state. Once gay marriage accepted throughout your country, than I agree with you. I was making a general assumption and yes, I still feel as though the U.S is a great country even though its not on a list. I've been there many times and the people are wonderful and by and large happy lol.

In addition, it is harder for a country with 300 million people to make them as content as with a nation of 33 million people... I get that, but it doesn't change reality! The U.S can't be on the top of every list in every category. Neither can Canada or any other country. Why so defensive because a list says the general populace in these countries are happier?

Who is defensive? But I believe it is you who are defensive. No one is denying that Canada has a lot to offer. I understand Canadians have an inferiority complex living in our shadow. But I was pointing out that there are reasons other than socialized medicine that may make people in those countries happy.

Again when you point to countries like Norway, they are about as homogeneous as you can get. They can build consensus because they share similar values, culture, heritage etc. When you have a country such as the US which is a vast melting pop of people from different backgrounds, traditions and values it is going to be hard to make majorities happy.

You are making a large leap when you say when the US recognizes gay marriage there will be separation of church and state. There are many reasons for not favoring gay marriage other than religious. I am not particularly religious but oppose gay marriage. It would be like saying Canada is in the grip of religious fanatics because it out laws plural marriages.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Who is defensive? But I believe it is you who are defensive. No one is denying that Canada has a lot to offer. I understand Canadians have an inferiority complex living in our shadow. But I was pointing out that there are reasons other than socialized medicine that may make people in those countries happy.

Again when you point to countries like Norway, they are about as homogeneous as you can get. They can build consensus because they share similar values, culture, heritage etc. When you have a country such as the US which is a vast melting pop of people from different backgrounds, traditions and values it is going to be hard to make majorities happy.

You are making a large leap when you say when the US recognizes gay marriage there will be separation of church and state. There are many reasons for not favoring gay marriage other than religious. I am not particularly religious but oppose gay marriage. It would be like saying Canada is in the grip of religious fanatics because it out laws plural marriages.
Well, countries like Norway aren't exactly famed for clinging to religious values. It is true that not having a massive immigration phenomenon helps, but they do their own thing: they're very inclusive, at the very least with their own citizens. Meaning you can love Norwegian traditions and be openly gay and proud, no-one will frown upon you for that reason (you'll find people who dislike homosexuality everywhere in the world, but in Scandinavia intolerance of other people's choices is not condoned by society). A society that just lets you be is a happy one because it can rely on your cooperation, and you're happy because you are, freely and openly. It's a win-win situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies