Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Having checked your profile and thus knowing you are a male who is much younger than my own sons, let this 58 going on 59 year old woman explain why I chose an abortion 16 years ago, within less than a month of conception.

I was going through menopause, 42 at the time and would have been 43 before the pregnancy came to term. I already had all three of my sons and they were all grown to adulthood. My husband was nearly 50 years old. Having watched several cousins try to carry pregnancies to term in their late thirties and early forties only to lose the children to death either at or very shortly after birth was one thing that influenced my decision. Knowing that both my husband and myself would be well past retirement age by the time a new child would have become an adult was another. Yeah, for a few years I would once in a while wonder what that child would have looked like - would it have been a boy or a girl? But I have never regretted that abortion. Especially since my husband died less than six years later and I would have been left, at 49 to raise a child on my own. And I would have been destroyed emotionally had I carried to term only to have a still birth or lose a child in only weeks after. I knew that about myself then and am even more sure of it now.
I'm sorry you made that decision. I would like to think that it was not an easy decision, but it was made so quickly, and you list all the reasons for that decision so clearly that there is no doubt in your mind even now. I can understand all the reasons you give for choosing as you did, and see that they were important to you, and still are.

But, there is a flip side to it as well. People of all ages lose children in childbirth, and after, sometimes early, sometimes later in life. We ought not to stop living and loving and taking chances because of fear. It is good to have concern about the outcome of a riskier pregnancy, but decisions made out of fear are not always the best ones. You look back from your perch now and tell yourself that it was a good decision for you, but you will never know how much you might have been blessed by this child had you allowed him or her the chance to live and be part of your life.

None of the reasons you list as justification for your action, singly or collectively, would be sufficient in my book to take a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Oh, but then women will go to back street abortion doctors. Well, then I guess they will get what they get. It was their choice to have sex, get pregnant, and then go to the local butcher for an abortion. Perhaps they should have practiced caution, and when that failed, they should face their responsibility.
Wow. You're quite an Armchair Woman there, Reads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies