Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I was/am adamantly against torture.

And, no, rape should not be legalized.
While, that is good (on torture),

But what would your opinion be on abortion if those lawless conditions existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
All the talk is about saving the "sacred life", but who cares for the child? Who will make sure it have a roof over its head, food in its stomach, a safe home environment. People who want to limit abortion, don't seem to spend much time in the ghetto helping the poor children that often result from an unwanted pregnancy taken to term.

How do all these "pious Christians" justify walking away from the child they just forced into the world?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No, "pro-life" is a buzzword anti-choice types () have applied to themselves. Thanks for the explanation btw, I had no idea.

I cant keep telling you to try to understand about the five-course meal.

The women's response here - More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time -

it looks like at the start of 2009 the ratio was 43% anti-choice to 50% pro-choice. Five months ago? Oh but look at this:

"Similarly, by ideology, all of the increase in pro-life sentiment is seen among self-identified conservatives and moderates; the abortion views of political liberals have not changed." (my emphasis)

Sounds like that brainwashing is doing the trick, guys!
At first, I didn't scroll down on my own link () so I didn't see the graphs where the sexes were separated.

In 2008 50% of women were anti-life/pro-death and 43% were pro-life. In 2009 49% of women are pro-life and 44% are anti-life/pro-death.

I'd use the term pro-choice if you'd use the term pro-life.

As far as liberal/moderate/conservative, our opinions are all just as valid. I don't particularly care about ideology, unlike the majority of posters on this board.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
All the talk is about saving the "sacred life", but who cares for the child? Who will make sure it have a roof over its head, food in its stomach, a safe home environment. People who want to limit abortion, don't seem to spend much time in the ghetto helping the poor children that often result from an unwanted pregnancy taken to term.

How do all these "pious Christians" justify walking away from the child they just forced into the world?
Let's not pretend all of those on the anti choice side are Christians.

In any case, I get where you're going and you're on the right track.

There is a guy in my state who is anti choice and he helped pass an initiative that would limit the # of homes available to foster children.

I'm not against people taking personal responsibility and abortion to me is a form of personal responsibility.
If you know you can't take care of another mouth and you need an abortion, rather than expecting the state to take care of it....go for it.

At the same time, I'd rather people have more access to contraceptives so they won't have to choose abortion.
I know abortion will always happen, legal or illegal, but I want to reduce the instances where it's needed.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,722 times
Quote:
This happens on both sides and you know it.
You are right about human nature...everyone wants their own way. I just get a very strong feeling that gun control people (in general...not all) will fight to the death not to lose their "rights"...but seem very quick to want to take rights from others. It also seems that what they are fighting for is not nearly as important as what they want to take away.
...Just my opinion...it won't change a thing...all these issues will work themselves out to common sense one day...

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
At first, I didn't scroll down on my own link () so I didn't see the graphs where the sexes were separated.

In 2008 50% of women were anti-life/pro-death and 43% were pro-life. In 2009 49% of women are pro-life and 44% are anti-life/pro-death.

I would use the term pro-choice if you would use the term pro-life.

As far as liberal/moderate/conservative, our opinions are all just as valid. I don't particularly care about ideology, unlike the majority of posters on this board.
Obviously you do, since you say you would support laws that would restrict and control women's decisions, which laws are entirely based in ideology.

Your stats - even 12 months instead of 5 months is a pretty quick turnaround; brainwashing is working

Also I dont see a breakdown by gender as to whether it should be legal.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Let's not pretend all of those on the anti choice side are Christians.
It is the #1 cause of the Christian right and the reason this is a political issue.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Obviously you do, since you say you would support laws that would restrict and control women's decisions, which laws are entirely based in ideology.

Your stats - even 12 months instead of 5 months is a pretty quick turnaround; brainwashing is working

Also I dont see a breakdown by gender as to whether it should be legal.
Scroll down to where it says "recent trend abortion position, based on women." Then there's one that says "men."

And, yes, I would support laws that restrict and control women's ability to end another life.

Based in ideology? Hardly. I'm not religious and there are many other pro-lifers who aren't. I'm assuming you meant religion by "ideology" in your post.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It is the #1 cause of the Christian right and the reason this is a political issue.
That doesn't mean that all anti choice people are Christians though.

The Christian Right also doesn't represent ALL Christians.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Scroll down to where it says "recent trend abortion position, based on women." Then there's one that says "men."

And, yes, I would support laws that restrict and control women's ability to end another life.

Based in ideology? Hardly. I'm not religious and there are many other pro-lifers who aren't. I'm assuming you meant religion by "ideology" in your post.
You're back to admitting you would control women's decisions, then.

Positions on abortion are "hardly" based in religious beliefs, or align with a political position? Separately or combined they're both ideological stances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies