Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 PM

64 posts, read 73,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I agree, because you have to factor in the number of men in relationships with women because they grew up without societal/family reinforcement that homosexual feelings are valid and natural. Many have no choice but to be brave enough to live as they are, but I can certainly understand why so many of us live in the closet and live double lives. It is most unfortunate.
And gay women in relationships with men. Lesbians do exist, you know...sometimes I wonder whether people realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:59 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
She sounds like Anita Bryant's and Fred Phelp's love child.

Or should that be: "hate" child?
Short and sweet....

Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopaplane View Post
And gay women in relationships with men. Lesbians do exist, you know...sometimes I wonder whether people realize that.
My sincere apologies... You are absolutely right. I am aware they do and love em to pieces . It is very common in here though, that the gay male is the subject of the religious right fury and hatred machine.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
James Dobson (Focus on the Family director) described the "homosexual agenda" as:

"...universal acceptance of the gay lifestyle, discrediting of scriptures that condemn homosexuality, muzzling of the clergy and Christian media, granting of special privileges and rights in the law, overturning laws prohibiting pedophilia, indoctrinating children and future generations through public education, and securing all the legal benefits of marriage for any two or more people who claim to have homosexual tendencies."
Wow, I didn't realize that Dobson was a homosexual. Is he on the board of directors or just a member?!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
My sincere apologies... You are absolutely right. I am aware they do and love em to pieces . It is very common in here though, that the gay male is the subject of the religious right fury and hatred machine.
It's not just with the religious right here in the US. The attitude is the same in many other countries. In Jamaica, it is illegal for men to be gay, but not women.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Never witnessed indoctrination in public schools?

Class surprises lesbian teacher on wedding day
You need to do a little more research Luckygem. This wedding that the kids attended was at the desire of the children and their parents. It did not involve the school. The teacher did not even know that any of her students were going to attend her wedding. Again, it was something that the parents wanted, those that did not want their kids to attend, did not let them. You need to take control of your suspicion and hatred of gays, it is really unbecoming.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:46 PM

64 posts, read 73,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It's not just with the religious right here in the US. The attitude is the same in many other countries. In Jamaica, it is illegal for men to be gay, but not women.
Lesbian Activists in Jamaica Tell Horror Stories

Quote:
Local activists say women who step outside societal norms--by dressing "too manly" or having few male visitors, for example--risk threats of verbal and physical abuse. Women have reportedly been raped, beaten, murdered and forced out of their homes or jobs simply for being lesbians.

<snip>

"Just the other day abuses were hurled at me where I live, saying stuff like 'sodomite' (a derogatory term for lesbian), 'cocky fi u' (penis for you), 'Sodomite can't stay ya, gunshot fi u' (Lesbian can't stay here, gunshot for you)," Karlene says. "They find all kinds of names to call you. It lowers your self-esteem. When you're out in the community you just have to hold your head down and hope nobody finds out about your sexuality." Karlene has seen enough not to dismiss angry words as idle threats. She recalls the lesbian who was raped and beaten by the local 'don,' or gang leader: "Because she had no men coming to visit her, it was alleged that she must be a 'sodomite' and what she needed was a '****.'"

<snip>

Receiving less attention, however, is the particular impact this homophobic climate has on Jamaican women. Vigilante attacks most often target men, while the violence affecting women, including rapes and murders, usually occurs outside of the public eye.
"Violence against lesbian and bisexual women happens more often in a more private sphere," says Heflin. "It's what we've seen in other countries as well, although particularly acute in Jamaica." Men often get attacked in a more public way with crowds present and even participating while women are more likely to suffer assaults in their homes or neighborhoods.
Karlene recounts the story of a woman who was murdered in the community where she was born by people she'd known all her life after they discovered her sexuality. "The guys decided the lesbian can't stay here. They worried she was going to infect the young people and the ladies around her. After they raped her, they murdered her," she says.
Women's eNews - Lesbian Activists in Jamaica Tell Horror Stories

Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
tolerance for the act of homosexuality which is the unnatural sexual attraction and affinity for someone of the same sex.

that is indoctrination.

children don't need to be schooled in kindergarten about human sexuality.
Would you rather kids be taught to hate and despise gays and lesbians? Are you that insecure in our own life that you would wish more hatred and bigotry on a minority? The problem in America and this whole world is that hatred is still being passed on to the successive generation to carry on. The only way to stop hatred is to stop teaching it to the young people. Let them make up their own minds for a change.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:50 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopaplane View Post
Lesbian Activists in Jamaica Tell Horror Stories

Women's eNews - Lesbian Activists in Jamaica Tell Horror Stories
I didn't say they didn't receive bad treatment. I said it isn't illegal to be a lesbian in Jamaica.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Would you rather kids be taught to hate and despise gays and lesbians? Are you that insecure in our own life that you would wish more hatred and bigotry on a minority? The problem in America and this whole world is that hatred is still being passed on to the successive generation to carry on. The only way to stop hatred is to stop teaching it to the young people. Let them make up their own minds for a change.
People always forget these 5 words,.......all men are created equal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies