Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I can't speak for helenjen but the first thing that comes to mind is the constant public praying in which everyone is suppose to participate. Prayers to open everything. If you want to pray, pray before you leave your home. But you don't want to just pray, you want to make me pray. That's what I object to.
When have Christians forced you personally to pray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:30 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Sorry, all agnostics, atheists, and apathetics, you are not being forced to pray. Travel to Afghanistan, get acquainted with the Taliban, and then tell me about forced prayer. It will be on your knees, five times a day, with head touching the ground, or head squashed by the butt of a rifle. Then come back to the U.S. and drivel to us about "forced prayer".

Old 05-24-2009, 08:31 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Sure, please explain what you consider, "the yoke of christianity" that you are forced to live with.
Well, I really don't want to turn this into a gay marriage thread, but in most, if not all, states, to be married, you first have to go and get a government-issued marriage license. It is the couple's choice, as well as the choice of the church to perform the ceremony, to then have that marriage recognized/sanctified by a church. Many Christians support legal restrictions that prevent other adult citizens from participating in the obtainment of a government-issued license. That is forcing religious beliefs on others through government practice, which people who are being denied those certificates are, in my opinion, rightfully angry about.

And notice the distinction that I made, please, the one between marriage as a government-regulated practice and and marriage as a sacrament or religious ceremony.

Quote:
No! Listen up. this Country has been a Christian nation from the beginning. Christians have not been on the offensive in this nation...
So how do you explain Christianity being forced upon slaves, in some instances, and mission schooling being forced upon Native American children?

Last edited by helenejen; 05-24-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 08:32 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Yeah, ok, and this is where the conversation ends.
Good luck to ya! Wonder where that "common sense" comes from?
What? What'd I say? What are these "Christian principles" on which the country was founded that are specific to Christianity? Name one.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
When have Christians forced you personally to pray?
I didn't say they did. I said they wanted me to pray.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Sorry, all agnostics, atheists, and apathetics, you are not being forced to pray. Travel to Afghanistan, get acquainted with the Taliban, and then tell me about forced prayer. It will be on your knees, five times a day, with head touching the ground, or head squashed by the butt of a rifle. Then come back to the U.S. and drivel to us about "forced prayer".
Don't twist what I said and don't justify Christian behavior by finding worse.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Christians do not believe in forced conversions. Our purpose in sharing our faith with unbelievers is just that - sharing. When I share my faith with someone and they express that they do not wish to hear my message, then I will respect their wishes. You have the right to believe or not believe as you wish but please don't use your unbelief to limit me in practicing my faith.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Quote:
Don't twist what I said and don't justify Christian behavior by finding worse.
It's not the Christians in this thread with the "martyr complex". It's you and others. I am saying that you need to see real rights infringements before you blow up an invitation to pray into such an ordeal.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Christians do not believe in forced conversions. Our purpose in sharing our faith with unbelievers is just that - sharing. When I share my faith with someone and they express that they do not wish to hear my message, then I will respect their wishes. You have the right to believe or not believe as you wish but please don't use your unbelief to limit me in practicing my faith.
That has nothing to do with why everything in this country has to start with a Christian prayer. That's imposing religion on others.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Here's what you actually said:
"you want to make me pray"

Sounds to me that you believe that Christians want to force you to pray, which isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies