Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I honestly don't care anymore.

This thread will be the last time I even post about the issue, because I really don't care anymore.

I'm not personally in favor of gay marriage. What I am in favor of is the peoples' right to assemble

If you're in favor of gay marriage and you want to assemble and make your views known, I will not stand with you, but I support your right to a peaceful protest.

I know that gets off of the topic, but I have a reason for saying it here.

The fact is, some of us are just starting to not care. That's not good for your cause. Instead of stating your case in one central location, you're spreading your views all over the place. Shoving it down peoples' throats is going to do the exact opposite of what you thought it would do. People are getting bored, and you're dangerously close to becoming irrelevant. I know that's not what you want.

Good luck with your quest, but try to remember that sometimes less is more.
You pretty much said exactly what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,433,153 times
Strongly approve.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X0987 View Post
The good news is that all of this is decided by the courts in the end. Civil rights shouldn't be up for a popular vote. If they are, which minority group will be next to lose certain rights?
This is the thing, as much as I respect civility - at the end of the day - my rights mean less as a gay man with this - civil indifference....

Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I would tend to think there are a number of Gay people opposed to Gay marriage as well. Everyone seems to think that every Gay person is behind this. Not so.

I tend to believe it's the divorce attorney's who are more behind it. Many lawyers have become unemployed during this recession. They need the business. Next, to drum up more business, they'll be marrying your pets.

I oppose all marriage, man/man, man/woman. Marriage should be banned.

I don't think the pro-marriage Gay population has seriously considered the consequences of Gay marriage.

You'll have good-looking straight men and women hanging out at the Gay bars trying to lure the unsuspecting into a marriage contract. And take what they can and run! Just like Gay people posing as Straight people, to lure the unsuspecting into a marriage contract.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,671 times
Quote:
The good news is that all of this is decided by the courts in the end. Civil rights shouldn't be up for a popular vote. If they are, which minority group will be next to lose certain rights?
Again, the problem has nothing to do with any group losing any rights.

I'm not going to fight with anyone over this issue again. It doesn't effect me. My views are my views, and they won't change. I strongly support peoples' rights to go out and peacefully get what they believe in, even if I disagree.

I'm just going to point out again that these are not rights that were ever taken away. They were never there. The conservatives on this forum take a virtual beating, but if there is blame to go around it needs to be much more wide-spread than that. That's all I'm saying.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I would tend to think there are a number of Gay people opposed to Gay marriage as well. Everyone seems to think that every Gay person is behind this. Not so.

I tend to believe it's the divorce attorney's who are more behind it. Many lawyers have become unemployed during this recession. They need the business. Next, to drum up more business, they'll be marrying your pets.

I oppose all marriage, man/man, man/woman. Marriage should be banned.

I don't think the pro-marriage Gay population has seriously considered the consequences of Gay marriage.

You'll have good-looking straight men and women hanging out at the Gay bars trying to lure the unsuspecting into a marriage contract. And take what they can and run! Just like Gay people posing as Straight people, to lure the unsuspecting into a marriage contract.
Well - i agree with this - but there should be universal civil unions in the eyes of the law. Two people should be able to commit. Why i am pro-gay marriage is because i don't think straight ppl are going to abandon marriage - though if legalized marriaged was abolished in favour of legalized civil unions - across the board - it would have my support.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Prop. 8 was titled "Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples To Marry". It was very clear, and it was printed on everybody's ballot in California.
I understand that, but they weren't really taking something away. That makes a big difference. They were "eliminating" something that wasn't there in the first place. I'm really not disagreeing with you, but it does change things. They weren't taking something away as much as they were keeping something away from people. And the reason they were able to keep it away was because others who came before them kept it away first. If there is blame to go around, it has to go in many more directions than it is going in at the present time. That's all I'm saying.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,092,613 times
I STRONGLY disapprove of homosexual marriages.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
That's very fair.

Part of the resistance gay people might be experiencing is that they're just not being very flexible in their own debate.

They want you to listen to them, listen to them, listen to them, and listen to them.

Then someone with a difference of opinion wants to be heard, and their general response is "Why should we listen to you?"
Why would we want to listen to "you" when all that is being said is hateful things about us, calling us abominations, unequal, not deserving of equal rights. We are not asking to take something from you, only to be able to share the same privileges that you enjoy and take for granted every day. You can marry the one you love and get all the rights. We get the other end other end of the stick. Letting a majority of the populace dictate that a select minority can be considered second class reeks of the days of hitler. What is next? Make us pay a registration fee, be counted on a list and given pink triangles that we must wear so that you know who we are when you see us? Well; we already pay fees and more to be on a domestic partner list that cost a lot more than a marriage license and we do not even get a pink triangle for the measly rights we get in trade. We pay the same tax as everyone else and deserve to be treated as equals, not second class citizens.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Why would we want to listen to "you" when all that is being said is hateful things about us, calling us abominations, unequal, not deserving of equal rights.
For starters maybe because I haven't said any of those things. But that's OK. You don't have to listen to me. And now I won't listen to you. See how it works? It wasn't my doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies