Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM

507 posts, read 678,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Exactly. Also, have we all forgotten how many millions of white people were forced into labor camps under Nazi Germany? Victims are surely not limited to people of color.
No one has forgotten about them. My ancestry is not at all connected to Germany or the Holocaust, but I read The Diary of Anne Frank in middle school. I read Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl in high school. I visited Holocaust museums in both middle school and high school. All of this was part of my academic curriculum.

No one is saying that victims are only people of color. Just as I learned about the horrors of slavery through my own family history, I can also appreciate the struggle and hell faced by those who suffered through the Holocaust. Suffering is suffering no matter what skin color it impacts.

Last edited by 17th Street; 06-23-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
As a black american descendant of slaves I can tell you this is very pointless and useless. And as far as am concerned the minute my people were freed and allowed all the great privileges that white people have was the ultimate apology. White people should get over this guilt about slavery since they were not even around and I would not hold them accountable for their ancestors actions.
Great comment. The day most blacks that, the better we can be as a country. That is the day when those invisible chains of slavery will be broken.

We have become a long ways. Sure we still have long ways to go on social issues but if we all band together not only for blacks but for anybody that is chained to to poverty or unjustice, the more people available to solve the problem.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
As a black american descendant of slaves I can tell you this is very pointless and useless. And as far as am concerned the minute my people were freed and allowed all the great privileges that white people have was the ultimate apology. White people should get over this guilt about slavery since they were not even around and I would not hold them accountable for their ancestors actions.
REP2U

Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
omle you forgot to tell me what part of history you think I need to read about
Well, for starters, look to Africa and the African's that enslaved and sold other tribes. Once you do this, you can become very curious as to why Africa has not given an apology. You are incensed about that aren't you? Oh, that's different.

And in more current history....look at what is happening in Sudan, etc., where black Africans are being murdered every day by Muslim arabs. Why are all that were so hot for an American apology for evil that happened 200 years ago not making a peep about that?

I'll tell you why. Because a lot (certainly not all), but a lot of blacks in this country have fallen into the liberal "victim" trap and want to blame evil white men for everything that ails them.

If you want to be angry about something real, look what is going on in Africa and start demonstrating in the streets about real victims, not pretend ones.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
[quote=omle;9425350]Well, for starters, look to Africa and the African's that enslaved and sold other tribes. Once you do this, you can become very curious as to why Africa has not given an apology. [quote]

Very true! Few Americans know that not all slaves were captured/kidnapped; many were actually sold by tribes, and often the victims were criminals and less-desirables. I believe Alex Haley mentions this in his book "Roots", and that man spent tremendous time and effort in his researches.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM

69 posts, read 63,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Maybe that difference has to do what I percieve is a different approach.

When I was stationed in the Washington DC area I went to a play that was to show discrimination on how the blacks suffer due to it.

Well, all that was a lot of white bashing. We left that play all deflated. It was a sorry play where they show how some whites were humilited or were the target of rude remarks or something else and it was sad to see this mostly black audience applauding, specially with kids learning to hate and disdain whites.

Very often many of black activist display such disdain for whites that who in the world wants to see any Underground Railroad, to be bashed? Heck no! I do not blame them for not going to places like that. It is sad though because many of those places are very informational, tragically the setting and strategy to show that part of history is so poorly done.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
What's the saying.. "If you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen"?

If you can't handle the hardcore truth about the history of this country, then don't visit those sites. Period.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
What's the saying.. "If you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen"?

If you can't handle the hardcore truth about the history of this country, then don't visit those sites. Period.

Well, perhaps I just dont understand your post.

The "hardcore truth abouth the history of this country"?

Who denies that slavery from 1600's-1800's was evil?

Crack a history book.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
all I see in this thread are excuses (poor ones at that) made for America's ugly past. typical.
Pls share what you think in the posts that are excuses for slavery.

And since you used the word "typical"...I'll say you are falling back to liberal, black, victim mentality.

But, that's just me.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Well, for starters, look to Africa and the African's that enslaved and sold other tribes. Once you do this, you can become very curious as to why Africa has not given an apology. You are incensed about that aren't you? Oh, that's different.

And in more current history....look at what is happening in Sudan, etc., where black Africans are being murdered every day by Muslim arabs. Why are all that were so hot for an American apology for evil that happened 200 years ago not making a peep about that?

I'll tell you why. Because a lot (certainly not all), but a lot of blacks in this country have fallen into the liberal "victim" trap and want to blame evil white men for everything that ails them.

If you want to be angry about something real, look what is going on in Africa and start demonstrating in the streets about real victims, not pretend ones.
omle I do know all about what is happening now in other countries. this thread was about slaves in the USA and an apology. IMO I see nothing wrong with a formal apology for slavery which was given. I feel badly for any people treated unjustly no matter where they live. just becuse it is in the past does not mean that they were not "real victims" or "pretend"

Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:

No, not at all. Pretty good at twisting the point. The point is the attitude of how some blacks handle the issue. I am not white. I am hispanic so it does not apply to me so there is no heat that may affect me. I am simply being objective as to how many handle that part. The extending the hatred about the past. The holocaust is still pretty fresh in the memory of a lot of people because they experienced it. They still have children they can talk to about it because they have first hand information. Blacks? No. Not at all when it comes to slavery. Granted, blacks still have fresh memories of the civil rights movement and it is good to discuss those issues. However, there is a difference of discussing for races and other types of groups to learn from each other and band together to get along better than just extending hatred and maintain this victim mentality.

Look closely at how often well meaning people have introduced laws to "help" the black yet the end result was more obstacles for blacks to do better in society. Read the book Larry Elder wrote entitled "Ten things you can't say in America" and there you can see how laws like minimum wages supposedly to help blacks actually helped them. In that case seems that the ulterior motive is to actually deny them jobs.
He will give you a nice example of what real positive affirmative action is, not the one the government imposed on many and resulting in more division between the races.

Go on, you can keep screaming how bad you had it. In the meantime other blacks along with me will keep on chugging along making our lives better. By the way, want to fight racism? Why not start with your own when those lighter skin one disciminate against those of darker skin. How about the black that disdain blacks that go and educat themselves. It is best to put your energy there than on hating how whites did so much againt your great-great-grandparents you probably do not even know their names as many do not when I have asked them.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies