Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,860,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope not the case he entered rehab shortly before becoming sick.

Alcoholic, 22, Dies After Being Refused Life-Saving Liver Transplant | UK News | Sky News
Sorry you are believing a story in the news media which is basically trying to stop young people drinking.
This family comes from near my home in the UK. Gary has drunk since he was extremely young. He did not enter a rehab but signed up in a half hearted attempt to show he was trying to stop drinking. He blatantly refused to give up drinking and other than the signing up to enter rehab he made no attempt to stop or cut his drinking down.

It is a shame for anyone to die because of drink or drug abuse but the Liver would have been given to Gary if he had made a serious attempt to quit drinking. Livers are given to alcoholics on the NHS and i myself know of a man who had been a alcoholic all his life, damaged his Liver, quit drinking and was given a Liver transplant. That was two years ago and he is now doing well. He was at deaths door but is now "clean" and taking his anti rejection medication ande living life with a new vigour.
This story of Gary is tragic but being used to make points...Pathetic really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,571,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
people die here everyday because they are too sick and no insurance will pick them up..

No kidding. As if someone dying waiting for a transplant doesnt happen here too. And alcoholics sometimes dont receive livers in the U.S. when others who did not abuse theirs are also waiting for a transplant

Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,300,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Sorry you are believing a story in the news media which is basically trying to stop young people drinking.
This family comes from near my home in the UK. Gary has drunk since he was extremely young. He did not enter a rehab but signed up in a half hearted attempt to show he was trying to stop drinking. He blatantly refused to give up drinking and other than the signing up to enter rehab he made no attempt to stop or cut his drinking down.

It is a shame for anyone to die because of drink or drug abuse but the Liver would have been given to Gary if he had made a serious attempt to quit drinking. Livers are given to alcoholics on the NHS and i myself know of a man who had been a alcoholic all his life, damaged his Liver, quit drinking and was given a Liver transplant. That was two years ago and he is now doing well. He was at deaths door but is now "clean" and taking his anti rejection medication ande living life with a new vigour.
What's even more "pathetic" are those who are using this article as a way of proving that UHC is a failure in other countries. Damn, as if this poor man would have been "saved" by a hospital or private insurer over here, when in reality, certain people on here would have just labeled this guy as a "poor decision maker" and condemned him to death.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM

785 posts, read 1,051,700 times
There is no logical evidince that things of this sort will happen if we get a public health care option. Things like liver and kidney transplants are often very hard to come by. If the objective of your post is to spread UHC horror stories, allow me to point out that the UK ranks #18 in the world in the overall performance of its health care system while the US ranks #37. This man died from a preventable cause; there are 20,000 preventable deaths per year in the United States per year due to lack of health care. With all of this said, the UK system isn't perfect and I am more than willing to acknowledge that what they did to this guy, denying him a liver transplant, is a grave injustice. While I still think that the UK has a better health care system than the US, I will say that this story is a good example that their health care system isn't perfect.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 PM

785 posts, read 1,051,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He was a drunk. He destroyed the liver he had. Too bad.
While I'd choose the UK's system over ours any day of the week, I can't agree with this comment. They should have given this guy a liver transplant.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,786,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post

No no I don't believe the media, I think an anonymous poster on the internet has much keener insight.

It's interesting that using this case to make a point about UHC is pathetic but examples used to highlight problems in our current system is fair game? Now that is pathetic.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,216,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You anti-UK UHC people should read this link. In fact, everyone should.

You can't just go out and buy a liver to transplant. You all do know there are waitlists in the US for people to receive transplants, and some sort of selection criteria must be set up?
I have a cousin who had a liver transplant a couple of weeks ago so I did some research on waiting times, if I recall correctly there were approx 17,000 people on the list in the US at the time and the average waiting time was 321 days.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,786,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Since you clearly don't know how to use your mouse properly, or click the "back" button, here you go:

"So you think this poor man would have somehow been miraculously "saved" here in the United States?"
Do you read any of the posts or do you just blather on. Read posts #11 and #23.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
While I'd choose the UK's system over ours any day of the week, I can't agree with this comment. They should have given this guy a liver transplant.
There is not an infinite supply of livers to transplant. In fact, they are very limited in number.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,300,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
.....as if liver transplants aren't denied here too, for reasons that don't involve alcoholism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies