Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You anti-UK UHC people should read this link. In fact, everyone should.

You can't just go out and buy a liver to transplant. You all do know there are waitlists in the US for people to receive transplants, and some sort of selection criteria must be set up?

In this country a mother of 4 who never smoked or did a crime is allowed to DIE because her insurance won't pay while a friggin no good for nothing criminal gets a heart transplant that the taxpayers paid $2 million for! What a croc of crap the system here is! What bull**it! I am sure the sap suckin Republicans will find a way to defend it though.

"What they couldn't say is, 'Because you're a criminal, we will reject you. ' That is something that society has to say," he said. "If we had universal health care, we could say he has broken his contract with society and a mother with four children would be better benefited."

Russ Heimerich, a spokesman for the state Department of Corrections, said the transplant cost $900,000. He estimated the daily critical care unit costs at a hospital at $12,500. Combined with the personnel, transport, medication and other expenses, Heimerich estimated that the procedure cost between $1.5 million to $2 million.

Prisoner with transplanted heart dies

Mr. Reading is a 45-year-old inmate serving a life sentence for double homicide. A former alcoholic and drug addict, Mr. Reading suffers from hepatitis C and symptoms of end-stage liver disease. Dr. Reardon was

VM -- Should a Prisoner Be Placed on the Organ Transplant Waiting List?, Feb 08 ... Virtual Mentor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Do you read any of the posts or do you just blather on. Read posts #11 and #23.
You haven't answered my question. If you need "help", don't be afraid to ask.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Sorry you are believing a story in the news media which is basically trying to stop young people drinking.
This family comes from near my home in the UK. Gary has drunk since he was extremely young. He did not enter a rehab but signed up in a half hearted attempt to show he was trying to stop drinking. He blatantly refused to give up drinking and other than the signing up to enter rehab he made no attempt to stop or cut his drinking down.

It is a shame for anyone to die because of drink or drug abuse but the Liver would have been given to Gary if he had made a serious attempt to quit drinking. Livers are given to alcoholics on the NHS and i myself know of a man who had been a alcoholic all his life, damaged his Liver, quit drinking and was given a Liver transplant. That was two years ago and he is now doing well. He was at deaths door but is now "clean" and taking his anti rejection medication ande living life with a new vigour.
This story of Gary is tragic but being used to make points...Pathetic really.
Wow it happened sooner than I thought. Please read post #41 and castigate the poster!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
You haven't answered my question. If you need "help", don't be afraid to ask.
You clearly either didn't read or can't understand post #23 I am afraid there is no help for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You clearly either didn't read or can't understand post #23 I am afraid there is no help for you.
If you were to put as much effort into answering an honest question as you do with dodging an issue and trying to be a smartass (even though you don't succeed at the smartass part), you just might be on to something.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In this country a mother of 4 who never smoked or did a crime is allowed to DIE because her insurance won't pay while a friggin no good for nothing criminal gets a heart transplant that the taxpayers paid $2 million for! What a croc of crap the system here is! What bull**it! I am sure the sap suckin Republicans will find a way to defend it though.

"What they couldn't say is, 'Because you're a criminal, we will reject you. ' That is something that society has to say," he said. "If we had universal health care, we could say he has broken his contract with society and a mother with four children would be better benefited."

Russ Heimerich, a spokesman for the state Department of Corrections, said the transplant cost $900,000. He estimated the daily critical care unit costs at a hospital at $12,500. Combined with the personnel, transport, medication and other expenses, Heimerich estimated that the procedure cost between $1.5 million to $2 million.

Prisoner with transplanted heart dies

Mr. Reading is a 45-year-old inmate serving a life sentence for double homicide. A former alcoholic and drug addict, Mr. Reading suffers from hepatitis C and symptoms of end-stage liver disease. Dr. Reardon was

VM -- Should a Prisoner Be Placed on the Organ Transplant Waiting List?, Feb 08 ... Virtual Mentor
Many facilities will NOT place a prisoner on a transplant list, in fact this happened to the man who was convicted of shooting Martin Luther was refused a liver transplant.

Its also the case that in some cases people who are not over 65 can qaulify for medicare in order to pay for the transplant. My sister in law was on dialysis and qaulified and it paid for her kidney transplant and the harvesting of the donor kidney from her son.

Medicare isn't JUST for the people over 65.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
If you were to put as much effort into answering an honest question as you do with dodging an issue and trying to be a smartass (even though you don't succeed at the smartass part), you just might be on to something.
What part of post #23 did you disagree with?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
There is no logical evidince that things of this sort will happen if we get a public health care option. Things like liver and kidney transplants are often very hard to come by. If the objective of your post is to spread UHC horror stories, allow me to point out that the UK ranks #18 in the world in the overall performance of its health care system while the US ranks #37. This man died from a preventable cause; there are 20,000 preventable deaths per year in the United States per year due to lack of health care. With all of this said, the UK system isn't perfect and I am more than willing to acknowledge that what they did to this guy, denying him a liver transplant, is a grave injustice. While I still think that the UK has a better health care system than the US, I will say that this story is a good example that their health care system isn't perfect.
I agree with you that NO healthcare system is perfect. Unfortunately Livers cannot be ordered in like a spare part for a car and tough decissions have to be made as to who will be given a transplant. In a perfect world, EVERYONE would get transplants but as we both agree, nothing is perfect. Gary was begged to give up drinking by his family for many years, he just ignored them. If he had shown a real commitment to stopping drinking, he would probably have got the Liver.
Too many on here read sensational stories like this and the new crop of stories about Canadians hating their UHC and believe them. In every system you will get people who are disatisfied. I saw a interview with a Canadian woman who said she waited 3 years for a back operation. She didn't say what kind of treatment had been tried first to try to avoid a dangerous spinal operation or whether her condition deteriorated over the three years from a back ache to severe back pains. She also said that if she had owned a house she would have lost it waiting for her treatment. She didn't mention the welfare money she probably recieved and housing costs that the Welfare from Canada got her. If she had been in America she would have been sleeping in the park with absolutely no chance of having her back operated on as she freely admitted that there was no way she could afford to pay for her treatment. She looked pretty fit to me.
There is a huge difference between waiting to have a operation and not even having the chance of getting a operation as is the case for millions of Americans.
This gutter press sensationalism is great for the gullable. They will believe any tit bit that might further their cause..... "Suckers!"

Last edited by geeoro; 07-20-2009 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Lets see now...22 yrs of age and started drinking at 13. Wonder how many people twisted his arm to get drunk all the time...or held a gun to his head?

Insurance or No Insurance...I have not seen a factory that makes replacement livers anywhere.

There are only so many livers available to some needy people that will take the necessary precautions needed to survive.

This guy was not one of them...he made his choice many yrs ago and kept on drinking until the booze finally caught up to him and the writing was on the wall.

Being around the liquor trade for over 23 yrs I have seen many who hit the sauce and the end result.

Had a neighbor who drank beer like water...almost died and finally saw the light and has been sober for over a yr and now realizes his mistake.

Another neighbor just retired from the Air Force after 29 yrs and he is drinking beer constantly...his face is RED at 9 AM from drinking and looks like a wino on the sauce. The guy is real nice but the way he's going...he won't last long.

Cirrhosis of the Liver is nothing to sneeze at.

Many of my late uncles drank a lot and all had some related illness due to drinking.

My dad was the last one of 9 brothers and sisters...he stopped drinking when my mother said he had a choice...her or the beer. He lived until 86 yrs of age.

Steve (I'm pushing towards 80)

Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I agree with you that NO healthcare system is perfect. Unfortunately Livers cannot be ordered in like a spare part for a car and tough decissions have to be made as to who will be given a transplant. In a perfect world, EVERYONE would get transplants but as we both agree, nothing is perfect. Gary was begged to give up drinking by his family for many years, he just ignored them. If he had shown a real commitment to stopping smoking he would probably have got the Liver.
Too many on here read sensational stories like this and the new crop of stories about Canadians hating their UHC and believe them. In every system you will get people who are disatisfied. I saw a interview with a Canadian woman who said she waited 3 years for a back operation. She didn't say what kind of treatment had been tried first to try to avoid a dangerous spinal operation or whether her condition deteriorated over the three years from a back ache to severe back pains. She also said that if she had owned a house she would have lost it waiting for her treatment. She didn't mention the welfare money she probably recieved and housing costs that the Welfare from Canada got her. If she had been in America she would have been sleeping in the park with absolutely no chance of having her back operated on as she freely admitted that there was no way she could afford to pay for her treatment. She looked pretty fit to me.
There is a huge difference between waiting to have a operation and not even having the chance of getting a operation as is the case for millions of Americans.
This gutter press sensationalism is great for the gullable. They will believe any tit bit that might further their cause..... "Suckers!"

Very interesting point. Because posters point out problems with the US health system doesn't mean it needs to be torn apart and rebuilt. As a matter of fact people are pretty satisfied with what they have.

Majority of Americans Satisfied With Their Healthcare Plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies