Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Where did I lack facts? Please explain.LOL...Gates DID provide his ID prior to being arrested. That's factual. I've never said the cops were racist. You're playing the race card. The cop was playing the EGO card and Gates was playing the @sshole card. 10 more yards and the cops in his car on to new business but that darn ego.
I agree, I think it's pretty ridiculous Gates got arrested. The cop should have just left. Everyone acted poorly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Where did I lack facts? Please explain.LOL...Gates DID provide his ID prior to being arrested. That's factual. I've never said the cops were racist. You're playing the race card. The cop was playing the EGO card and Gates was playing the @sshole card. 10 more yards and the cops in his car on to new business but that darn ego.
OK...you're twisting words and playing with semantics. The fact that he showed them his ID before they arrested him matters why? The fact that he was asked for his ID and failed to provide it until being asked serveral times, and then the way in which he became belligerent and abusive are the facts that you failed to mention.

I'm not playing the race card at all...I was being sarcastic and repeating what has been said on this and other forums and what came out of Gates' mouth...that the cop was a racist and that cops in general are racist. The implication is that the report is fabricated, right? I do apologize if you have not said that in your comments.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Considering the sterling record of the cop Gates' story is beginning to fall apart. He really needs to man up, admit he instigated the incident and offer a heartfelt apology to Sgt. Crowley and the Cambridge police department. If the content of his character contains integrity Gates will do just that. Time will tell.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Maybe his listed address wouldn't have been the one in question. Gates possibly has multiple residences. I wouldn't be surprised if he did. He probably showed his Harvard ID so that the cop would realize oh he's a professor, trying to get into the place he leases from Harvard.

Why are so many people so quick to take the cops side? Cops make mistakes just like any other human.
The real question is why are people so quick to blame the cops? Its the easy out, everytime. **** accepting responsibility, just blame the cops.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama stirs racial passions in Harvard case | Reuters

He really should have just said "no comment" or "I am ignorant of the facts, so I will withhold judgment".
Obama's comments did exactly what he strategized for them to do. Divert the attention away from his healthcare press conference.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
The real question is why are people so quick to blame the cops? Its the easy out, everytime. **** accepting responsibility, just blame the cops.
I'm not saying people should go one way more than the other. But cops are humans. They make mistakes. A lot actually. A lot of people act like they are somehow above us mere mortals.

That being said they are held to a certain standard, and we should be skeptical and judge them a bit more harshly than everyone else.

Personally I don't buy Gates' story completely but having seen enough a-hole cops in my life I'm not buying that police account 100% either...

Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm not saying people should go one way more than the other. But cops are humans. They make mistakes. A lot actually. A lot of people act like they are somehow above us mere mortals.

That being said they are held to a certain standard, and we should be skeptical and judge them a bit more harshly than everyone else.

Personally I don't buy Gates' story completely but having seen enough a-hole cops in my life I'm not buying that police account 100% either...
Sure, they are human, and yea they are held to a certain standard. But the problem is, people criticize and speculate when they have no clue on the laws or how things are done anyways, especially when they weren't there and don't even have all of the information. They make split second decisions every day, and being human, they can make mistakes. Doesn't make them a bad person, or a bad cop.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Sure, they are human, and yea they are held to a certain standard. But the problem is, people criticize and speculate when they have no clue on the laws or how things are done anyways, especially when they weren't there and don't even have all of the information. They make split second decisions every day, and being human, they can make mistakes. Doesn't make them a bad person, or a bad cop.
Agreed. The reality is we (everyone posting on here) weren't there. So we are all talking crap. lol. It does make for interesting talk though... and to think this was all over a pretty stupid misunderstanding.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Yes, and I think the white or Asian Harvard professor wouldn't have attracted the media attention all of the nation, and the world for that matter if a similar situation had happened to them. Isn't it funny too, when you consider all the crime data available suggests that it isn't white or Asians (notice the correct spelling..) aren't committing the majority of crimes.

Oh, and if a white person or Asian person wrote this post he/she probably wouldn't have had such a verb problem...
You prolly ain't got much sperience in applachia lak ido
and dem wite folks was so cyted I was try'na learn dem, dat dey was a heap mo polite an less falutin dan I evah seed in most wite folks in dees northern parts.

Its interesting White people are quick to acknowledge the disproportionate amount of crime committed by blacks. With all the studies done to connect poverty and crime in America, no one seems to care about the disproportionate number of an entire ethnic group who has lived in poverty for 380 years and counting Poverty causes crime. One of the most brilliant and self educated blacks in the 18th century , Frederick Douglas, a former slave, once said ,"begging ,borrowing and stealing are all equal to the poor .

Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 PM

133 posts, read 308,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Well there you go folks. Even a Harvard degree and a distinguished body of scholarship can't get you out of being black in this country. My concern lies less with the cop than with the so-called "neighbor" who reported him in the middle of the day.

Stupidity knows no color or education level.
My concern lies less with the cop than with obama and the so-called professor can't Harvard do better than this? I would expect more from faculty at a grade school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just another unqualified affirmative action hire imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies