Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I pity the young voters (I am included) too. We will pay off for Bushes war for decades.
Are you kidding me? Obama has more than quadrupled Bush's highest deficits.

Jeeze getting fired from Target is the least of your concerned.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I support the idea of healthcare reform. I don't think it should be rushed through and I don't think the timing is quite right. It's waited this long and it can certainly wait until next year or even the third year of his term. He's probably worried about cashing in his political capital but we have more pressing needs at the moment. I do believe it will be a necessity in order to curtail spending in the future.
There is never a "right time" for anything. The right time to do health reform is now. The right time was when Harry Truman proposed it back in the late 40s, and when Nixon proposed some reforms in the 70s.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is never a "right time" for anything. The right time to do health reform is now. The right time was when Harry Truman proposed it back in the late 40s, and when Nixon proposed some reforms in the 70s.
I disagree. Getting people back to work is number one priority. "The unemployed" is a faceless term and easy to gloss over it. But these are people who are hurting. Many of them are running out of unemployment benefits. They can't make ends meet, can't find a job. The stimulus which was so very urgent to pass, is lying dormant. The largest amount hasn't even been used.

I'm not affected by unemployment now, but I'm mad as heck that the priorities of our government are so skewed. It looks like they don't WANT the economy to improve, for whatever reasons of their own that we are not privy to.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
I think the government is competent enough and can deal with several issues at the same time. There are priorities that should have been looked at and dealt with for a number of years now and the past administrations and elected officials FAILed for one reason or another to take action. While the economy was headed for the tank over the past eight years ~ they stood by and did nothing. Although it was impressive to start a war and spend money that the nation didn’t have then or now to keep help the military industrial complex get profitable.

However, this isn’t the same political party that has had control for the past 30 years, so more then one thing can be done at the same time now.

Health care is important to those who don’t have jobs as well as those who do. You got’a be healthy to get employed remember or stay employed.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I disagree. Getting people back to work is number one priority. "The unemployed" is a faceless term and easy to gloss over it. But these are people who are hurting. Many of them are running out of unemployment benefits. They can't make ends meet, can't find a job. The stimulus which was so very urgent to pass, is lying dormant. The largest amount hasn't even been used.

I'm not affected by unemployment now, but I'm mad as heck that the priorities of our government are so skewed. It looks like they don't WANT the economy to improve, for whatever reasons of their own that we are not privy to.
These are times that try our souls (with apologies to Thomas Paine), but there is never a "good" time to do this.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller427 View Post
a little off topic but had to share...this is just great

HR 1388 PASSED

<snip>.
What's this got to do with health care. Start your own thread.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I voted no...I hate the current health care system and I worked in the medical field for many years.

I'm currently unemployed and unable to get health insurance, I can't afford whats offered and what is offered doesn't cover pre-exisitng and at 58 years of age everything is pre-existing.

Prior to that, I had some health problems that even with insurance drove me into debt with all the co-pays and the parts the insurance didn't cover and this was the best BCBS the company offered and I was paying close to $200 a month just for my part of the premium. With a prescription card my meds cost $195. a month.

If your young and healthy the heath care seems ok...but if you have a major health problem you'd be real surprised what isn't covered and how much you have to fight with the insurance companies to cover anything.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:27 PM

272 posts, read 295,759 times
Returning West says it all. While those not wanting change sit nicely with their employer paid policy there are those suffering with nothing.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 AM

221 posts, read 219,372 times
Amazes me how here in America, if you don't understand something it must be bad or unworkable. This applies to a uhc. Many come on here saying how a uhc just couldn't work in America, yet they have absolutely no proof that it could not work. All of the Countries with a uhc are extremely happy with them and have health cover for every citizen. None of the uhc countries are having the heated debate over their health system because the proof is that it works very well and it works for everyone. Our system in America fails millions and bankrupts more people than anything else in America, yet there are those out there fighting to keep this broken system here.
You can scream all you like at town hall meetings, on here or anywhere else for that matter but our health system has failed big time. Uhc's work in every Country that they have been implemented in. Are we American's now so pathetic and paranoid that we are putting our own self interest ahead of the well being of America. The answer is a resounding YES.
If one American citizen dies because of lack of health cover then that is one American too many but it is thousands every year. Makes you proud to be American doesn't it?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
The government won't let us die or make things difficult,right?
I have a great record for starting threads nobodys reads but this is important so I'm repeating it here.
It is a good caution about what is very possible under any government plan.

These are scheduled changes for Medicare.
Medicare Cuts Will Force Many Cancer Centers To Close, Stop Seeing Medicare Patients, Lay Off Staff, According To ASTRO Survey
"However, on July 13, CMS announced proposed changes to the Medicare policies and payment rates for physician services, including radiation oncology, that would cut payments to radiation therapy services by nearly 20 percent. Community cancer centers, particularly those in rural and suburban areas, would be hardest hit. Running 2008 claims data from a sample of practices across the country showed overall impacts between 18 and 31 percent on the average practice, with some services receiving payment cuts by up to 44 percent. If approved, these cuts would take effect on January 1, 2010.......................................
cut payments for radiation therapy treatments would cause many cancer centers to close, stop accepting Medicare patients, lay off support staff and reduce services to cancer patients,.............."
CMS to cut Medicare funding to skilled nursing facilities by $360 million in fiscal year 2010 - McKnight's Long Term Care News
" “In most nursing homes, if there are margins in Medicare services, they are used to help offset negative margins for Medicaid services. In addition, many not-for-profit nursing homes face negative margins on Medicare to support negative margins on Medicaid. These numbers just don't work for financial viability and sustainability.” "
Nursing homes face $78M Medicare cut - Orlando Business Journal: in Medicare nursing home
"Florida nursing homes face a proposed $78.4 million cut in Medicare reimbursements, which may cause some facilities to close and/or shed nearly 2,000 jobs statewide.
If the cuts take effect on Oct. 1, “it would be catastrophic,” said Emmett Reed, executive director for the Tallahassee-based Florida Health Care Association, which represents 500-plus long-term care facilities."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies