Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:58 PM

281 posts, read 928,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
What does basic health care have to do with politics??

A country of compassionate people would not allow some of their citizens to die from medical neglect just because they have a low income. Especially children.
Compassion doesn't pay the bills. We have to figure out how to absorb the enormous cost. Other countries have universal care, but they pay huge taxes and put restrictions on the amount and quality of the care. They also have strong industrial economies to carry the burden.

Uruguay attempted to maintain a European-style social state without having a European-style industrial economy and it nearly destroyed them. They are still trying to recover and are now piecemeal dismantling many of their treasured welfare programs, which has been very painful and difficult.

We cannot keep printing funny-money and depending on Wall Street legerdemain to pay for programs we cannot afford. We need to build an industrial economy based on creating things of real value before we can afford something of this magnitude. At the rate we are going, poor health care will be the least of our children's concerns.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:00 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times

Pictorial metaphor for ObamaCare. The elderly are left behind with only the kindness of the Sgt. Crowleys of the world to depend on.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
My guess if we don’t want socialized healthcare or government run things; then we need to do away with public education, libraries, police departments, fire departments, water, sewer, streets highways, public transportation and other public utilities that are provided in most civilized communities.

I’m a proud taxpayer who enjoys knowing that if my neighbor’s house is on fire, I can call the fire department to save his home. Or if you’re injured in an accident while driving through town that the public rescue will be there to help you and render aid. Seems that the public school provides kids in the neighborhood a good education that many of the families could never afford on their own.

With public assistance we remain civilized, as a community, people helping people, isn’t that being United as a land where so many people work together?

And if you have insurance you may want to cancel it,,,,,, that’s a socialized (everyone puts money into it and pays for others healthcare) for profit company and if you don't want single-payer health care then you don’t want socialized (insurance) medical health care that others are paying for you.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astancel View Post
Most states have health insurance for children and it they don't then there is medicaid for them and I have cousins who have it now, Children are not left out in the cold to die in this country, they have medical treatment and opportunity.
Not everyone qualifies for Medicaid; the income requirements are fairly low. SCHIP is more liberal. There are also many who qualify who for some reason are not signed up.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 PM

422 posts, read 757,244 times
My best friends brother in law who was working at Walmart for the last 5 years was very happy with his job but could not afford health insurance for the last 6 years he knew that he had problems with his kidney because of some bloodwork that was done on him 6 years had concluded that his kidney was not functioning properly.

He did not receive any preventive medicine in those 6 years and just last month his kidneys failed. Now he's on dyalisis 3 times a week and on government help and getting ready to be disabled. And get this, he's 30 years old. So now because he couldn't afford to get seen by a doctor all those years and possibly prevent this from happening he is now a bigger burden on the government and YOU as a taxpayer. This is the kind of stuff that is happening that can be prevented.

Yes I know you can afford health care, and your independent, and you did the right thing, you workedd hard, you struggled, you graduated, you got promoted, you make six figures, you are responsible, ETC ETC ETC...so what.

This country has 300 million people and you can't expect every person to be like you. In this country we have people of every race that is poor. Whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, atabs, indian, etc etc etc and we have forgotten what it means to be compassionate and caring, frankly I'm disgusted at some of these posts on cityl-data with some of you self-centered people it makes me want to puke. I hope that some of you, yes HOPE that your cushy job fades away and you lose your health coverage and have to fall on the government so that you can feel what it's like. Many people that were against the first Health care bill of the 90's that opposed it that lost there jobs and there insurance company at the worst time, ie critical health care: cancer, kidney failure, heart failure etc etc are now regretting how they felt about the health care bill back then and are probably getting flashbacks of the early 90's with today's talk of a new Health care bill.

When that Health Care bill in the Clinton Era was obliterated, drug makers, health insurance companies, and health providers had a massive party because it was their green light to rape the country for whatever they wanted: Asthma inhalers for 300 dollars you got it. Depressant medicine for 400 dollars sure why not. And the list goes on and on.

Ever since that time the Health Industry Prices both providers and insurers has skyrocket to unfathomable prices that has led us down this dreary path of a new health care bill. And if this plan fails, expect the same outcome. Even higher prices in the health industry.

The Clinton administration screwed up the health sector by taking on the conglomerates of the health Industry: insurers, drug makers, doctors: and together with their special interests money they squashed that bill with their mighty hammer. The Bush Administration threw us into a heavy recession that awarded the rich with tax incentives now the middle and poor class are paying the price. what's next???????????

Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I voted "Yes" for what I know about it. If it doesn't have a public option, then it's a failure.
I agree it won't accomplish anything iof the Lawyers and Insurance Companies are still bleeding us dry.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post

Pictorial metaphor for ObamaCare. The elderly are left behind with only the kindness of the Sgt. Crowleys of the world to depend on.
Wow. What a telling photo. It says so much about Obama AND Sgt. Crowley.
Quite a contrast, don't you think?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:36 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
What does basic health care have to do with politics??

A country of compassionate people would not allow some of their citizens to die from medical neglect just because they have a low income. Especially children.
Heck yea. Lets get them healthy so we can send them to remote parts of the world where they can get killed in illegal wars that have nothing to do with protecting our borders.

The government cannot force compassion or morality on its people. They would be the last ones I would look to for that.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Efforts to fix a declining healthcare system is over 20 years too late. Yes, it was in the 80's when the panic started over spiraling insurance costs. That was the decade of immigration: Illegals from south of the border came in droves and we also had the "boat people". A lot of technology in the medical field took hold and that, too, caused healthcare to shoot into the stratosphere.

It needed nipped in the bud then. But no one in power wanted to control population (borders), and the medical field got greedy. So did the insurance companies.

I highly doubt that Obama's plan will be successful. When I retire, I wouldn't be able to pay more than $300 for health insurance out of pocket, and I don't think there's a worthwhile plan out there to be found that cheap. And Massachusetts's healthcare plan hasn't been that successful for the same reason.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
A lot of technology in the medical field took hold and that, too, caused healthcare to shoot into the stratosphere.

It needed nipped in the bud then. But no one in power wanted to control population (borders), and the medical field got greedy. So did the insurance companies. .
What do you think paid for all that technology that we can now enjoy?
We don't have to wait for medical tests the way they do in other countries because we have the equipment, facilities and technology (such as a diagnostic equipment in just about every hospital, including MRI, CT scanning, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies