Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is my point as well. It's one thing to encourage and another thing entirely to mandate a certain series of appointments related to this. Although this is an important subject, there is something to be said for personal responsibility as well. I know that I would rather spend my time treating patients than discussing legal issues that should be discussed among a patient and his or her family. I already discuss these issues with my patients briefly. I don't feel that a patient should be compelled to meet with their PCP to discuss this issue every 5 years. Furthermore, having a series of appointments doesn't automatically mean a patient will take the initiative to have an AD done.

So the point is Obama will rather allocate costs toward discussing AD's with patients rather than paying for a surgery or an imaging test that is needed? This is where your health care dollars are going to go. So I won't be able to order an echocardiogram on a patient that doesn't meet all the classical signs of valvulopathy even though my experience and insticts tells me to do but we will spend money on needless visits to discuss creating an AD.
Best example on this subject. This bill is not about quality of care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 08:27 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
What an idiotic post. Patients of any age should be counseled about issues related to death and dying. Newsflash: We already do this. Patients are encouraged to have advance directives, regardless of age. We have been doing this for 8 years under Bush, and even before that. It's got nothing to do with Obama, or even with politics.

You have zero credibility when you politicize issues like this, in your desperation to attack Pres. Obama.
As a physician, we never bring up death and dying unless the patient has a disease, such as cancer, that will result in thier death in the next year or two. Everyone dies. Everyone gets that. When that issue is RELEVANT, we discuss it. However, discussing negative issues on patients doing well even with chronic disease causes them to focus on negative aspects of the disease. Further, a patients are convinced that they ARE DYING when you discuss dying. If you really want to freak out a patient, bring up malignancy in thier differential diagnosis. First confirm a diagnosis and then discuss death if it relevant. Otherwise it causes undue worry in a patient and is a waste of time. Bad idea.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Gee.

I really hate that you insist on talking about facts.

I thought the "Logan's Run" version was a lot more fun.
Carousel!!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
As a physician, we never bring up death and dying unless the patient has a disease, such as cancer, that will result in thier death in the next year or two. Everyone dies. Everyone gets that. When that issue is RELEVANT, we discuss it. However, discussing negative issues on patients doing well even with chronic disease causes them to focus on negative aspects of the disease. Further, a patients are convinced that they ARE DYING when you discuss dying. If you really want to freak out a patient, bring up malignancy in thier differential diagnosis. First confirm a diagnosis and then discuss death if it relevant. Otherwise it causes undue worry in a patient and is a waste of time. Bad idea.
As a physician, you should know that as people age, death can sneak up suddenly. I think asking, "Do you have a power of attorney?", etc can be asked in a way that doesn't get people focusing on dying. As I previously posted, my father-in-law thought he would live forever. So, in fact, did my father. Cleaning up my dad's affairs was a mess, and we paid more in taxes than we should have, had he planned properly (though that's a different discussion). Just like having a will, I think everyone should have a POA and an advance directive. If talking about death weren't so taboo, perhaps more people would be prepared.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
This may be exactly the point.

My 71 yr old husband just went to the ER.
After the intitial care and diagnosis of pneumonia the doctor (had?) to ask if he had any written directives (don't) and then went on to establish his wishes .
Thankfully, we were more embarrassed for not yet having done so than we were interpreting this as a clue that he was 'done for'.

Good grief! A conversation like this at a time like that may be enough to have caused someone else to have gone into cardiac arrest!
Do any of you really think this is what the doctor wanted to have to be doing at this time?

During this chat we did learn that if there are no directives and wishes cannot be ascertained, they MUST do everything in their power to keep one alive.

If doctors seen before emergency situations are reimbursed for doing so it may result in more primaries bringing the subject up and getting procrastinators like us to fill the paperwork out.

And, believe me, ones opinion on what measures they want taken can easily change in a 5 year period as overall health can change a lot very quickly.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,093,726 times
Quote:

The Democrat Party is known as "The Party of Death" and for good reason. It seems they love all things death for the most helpless and innocent. hussein obama's choice of science czar is just another example of their plans for our future.

New "Science Czar" May Forecast Future With "Obamacare"

Washington, DC – As the debate over President Obama's socialized healthcare heats up, the depth of his radicalism is becoming more evident. John Holdren, Obama's recent choice for "Science Czar," provides the latest and perhaps most troubling example of extremism. In the name of population control, Holdren has advocated both forced abortion and compulsory sterilization through government-administered tainting of the water supply.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:11 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
In the Obama care plan, anyone over 65 needs to meet with an appointed Dr. every 5 yrs to discuss dignity and dying decisions. They will make suggestions and recommendations for you.

This is for everyone, not just people who are sick

So for all of you 65 and over, get ready to be counseled on your "options" and have Uncle Sam make recommendations.
This is 0bama trying to see if he can convince the elderly to forgo the life saving operation, and go for that pain pill instead. I mean they are so old anyway, why waste good money on some old guy who might die next year?

Do you think they will have similar mandatory counseling for women contemplating an abortion?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:29 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Oh,BTW, I am not in favor of this current plan being pushed.
I just don't read evil into every single proposal within it and think injecting things that probably aren't and really aren't in there weakens our position ....sometimes to the point of making 'our side' look like a bunch of flaming a...holes.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:45 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This may be exactly the point.

My 71 yr old husband just went to the ER.
After the intitial care and diagnosis of pneumonia the doctor (had?) to ask if he had any written directives (don't) and then went on to establish his wishes .
Thankfully, we were more embarrassed for not yet having done so than we were interpreting this as a clue that he was 'done for'.

Good grief! A conversation like this at a time like that may be enough to have caused someone else to have gone into cardiac arrest!
Do any of you really think this is what the doctor wanted to have to be doing at this time?

During this chat we did learn that if there are no directives and wishes cannot be ascertained, they MUST do everything in their power to keep one alive.

If doctors seen before emergency situations are reimbursed for doing so it may result in more primaries bringing the subject up and getting procrastinators like us to fill the paperwork out.

And, believe me, ones opinion on what measures they want taken can easily change in a 5 year period as overall health can change a lot very quickly.

Well, that is a situation in which it is relevant. We ask about DNR status and family wishes of course. A "DNR" status can be damaging to the patient in the absence of personal guidance from family members. We are obligated to "do what we can" in the absence of this guidance. A "DNR" in the absence of family member directive could result in legal difficulites for the physician and possibly criminal prosection. If an individual is unable to make decisions, we rely up family members. It is not like we are throwing in invasive lines and drips in a dying patient with the family in the background pleading for us to stop. We do what they want, in the realm of what is medically reasonable.

Issues of dying and financial directives are best handled by attorneys. Why? Because they are legal experts and physicians are not. We don't know about the laws, as that is not what we do. We do not want a stiuation in which patients are coming in to discuss "dying" when they are doing well. Why would we? We have current and pressing medical problems do deal with and do not want to pestered by situations which are not currently pertient. I would further offer that a healthy 65 or 70 year old would feel a little insulted by such a discussion. Let us deal with medical issues that are relevant and leave legal counsel to attorneys.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oh,BTW, I am not in favor of this current plan being pushed.
I just don't read evil into every single proposal within it and think injecting things that probably aren't and really aren't in there weakens our position ....sometimes to the point of making 'our side' look like a bunch of flaming a...holes.
What is being "pushed" is reimubsement for such counseling every five years. Nothing more. The physician doesn't have to offer it. The patient doesn't have to accept it. I can tell you it would have been a darn sight easier for my DH's family if some phyician had had the moxie to bring it up to my 97 yr old FIL before he got sick for the last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies