Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 02:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. It's really hard to do at a time like that (not that it's easy any time). I remember one time when I was doing home health, I had to visit a patient who was in a lot of pain. Her care giver said "You'll be going home soon". I asked "Is that what you want?", and she nodded "yes".
Thank you, and thanks for the rep on the other matter.

It was actually an easy decision to make and make sure was honored. It's what Dad wanted. Mom had died a little over a year before from pancreatic cancer and the life went out of him. That was all 20 years ago but the memory lingers. That's why we're prepared.

You and your care giver gave the patient dignity and total control over her destiny. That's how it should be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Do like I intend to do, Roy.

Outfox 'em. Tell them you don't need an Advance Directive because you don't intend to die.

That'll baffle the government thugs.
That's about what my father did. He signed his AD after his stroke, and I honestly don't think he understood it, but my mom and I wanted it. He lived about six more weeks, and had a "good death" in a nursing home instead of being hooked up to all kinds of machinery in a hospital. They liked him at the NH, too, whereas in the hospital, he was just a number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why would they want to switch when they can so easily come here for the things they have to wait on there? Just wondering.
That, too, has been debunked as an urban legend. There are a number of threads about it. I know, someone posted that article about that baby, but a full NICU happens here, too, and babies have to be transferred, sometimes across state lines.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:07 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
In the Obama care plan, anyone over 65 needs to meet with an appointed Dr. every 5 yrs to discuss dignity and dying decisions. They will make suggestions and recommendations for you.

This is for everyone, not just people who are sick

So for all of you 65 and over, get ready to be counseled on your "options" and have Uncle Sam make recommendations.
^^Nothing but pure grade BS!!

So no one has EVER died because a health insurance company was trying to profit more?

Old 07-25-2009, 03:44 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Default "DNR" or "NO CODE"

Both are the same depending on where used.

Having had several medical problems...living by myself and with the kids far away the VA Hospital nagged me politely to make a decision they could deal with in case of a problem while I'm in surgery.

Still here so things went well so far.

I have lived a full life and know that there is only a few yrs left so I'm taking life one day at a time. If and when the time comes I will be ready if not sooner.

I saw the look on the face of my wife when she was terminal and also the look on the face of my dad prior to his passing. The writing is on the wall so to speak.

We are here only one time around...and when the time comes...it's time to let go.

My condolences to the family members on C-D who lost someone.

Steve

Old 07-25-2009, 04:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

So no one has EVER died because a health insurance company was trying to profit more?
Are you saying that we will never see people die because bureaucrats from DC failed to act soon enough? I think that it will be a larger number and probably on purpose now and then.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can you explain these words as they apply to life and death? "Mandatory counseling for all seniors at a minimum of every five years, more often if the seasoned citizen is sick or in a nursing home... That's an invasion of the right to privacy. We can't have counseling for mothers who are thinking of terminating their pregnancy, but we can go in there and counsel people about to die."

These words came from your site and are quoting McCaughey. I guess you do know that there is no requirement for the same kind of consultation for women wanting to abort their pregnancies but they are required for old people. Is a probable death included in each case? I think so.
Congratulations. All you've managed to do is repeat the garbage spewed by McCaughey. Still doesn't make it factual.

At age 79, how long have you had Medicare coverage? My mother has had it for about 4 years now, and my grandparents were covered for almost 20 years apiece.

Tell me:

WHAT HAS MEDICARE FORCED YOU TO DO?

WHAT APPOINTMENTS HAVE BEEN MANDATORY?

If you seriously cannot get it through your thick head that all the segment in question provides is FUNDING for end-of-life counseling, then you are absolutely beyond help or hope.

Have a day.

*ignore*

Old 07-25-2009, 07:45 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,299,168 times
Quote:

Purple~ you really do try to seem like you are so knowledgeable about this health care issue. What field do you work in? I am just wondering because I am willing to bet that you have zero knowledge about hospital's and patient care.

I really don't care to converse with you but I wanted to ask you what field you are in.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Purple~ you really do try to seem like you are so knowledgeable about this health care issue. What field do you work in? I am just wondering because I am willing to bet that you have zero knowledge about hospital's and patient care.

I really don't care to converse with you but I wanted to ask you what field you are in.
You don't care to converse with me yet you ask me a question....muy interesante.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ditto.

I think this asking patients about advance directives has been done since the Bush I administration. We did a seminar on this issue at my church, and many people said they did not want what happened to their parents to happen to them, e.g. keeping people alive when there really was no hope, etc.
The legislation MANDATES - get it MANDATES - not voluntarily - MANDATES that you talk about it

You must LOVE mandates

Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:

My mother almost died of cancer because the HMO kept telling the doctors not to do certain tests (but we didn't know this initially, doctors told us later). A combination of my father knowing the symptoms she had from being a nurse once, the doctors not being happy with the insurance company, and her being pregnant with my youngest brother fixed that. Dropped that HMO like a rock and sued them.

Nonetheless, the last thing I want is the government to be in that position. Then there's no dropping them and getting the treatment or whatever you need anyways.

And I don't care what all the O supporters say, we're slipping toward euthanasia. It will be carried out the same as the Nazis did it after the public outcry against it...silently, by refusing treatment without people even knowing it's happening. Between this meet with your doctor crap (I foresee the government trying to coerce and manipulate elderly people who are easily taken advantage of), other things O has said that hint in this direction, and knowing what's happened out in Oregon with their "death with dignity" law, I'm disgusted, horrified, and pissed off at this worthless filthy government. My grandfather fought against this sort of crap in WWII. Now we're slowly adopting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies