Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The FACT of matter is, health insurance is NOT A RIGHT under the Constitution. Again, this is an undeniable FACT.
It is not a fact. Why don't you try to convince us why health care should not fall under General Welfare clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
my great uncle was a MD from albany NY. he did $10 housecalls his entire career. I was born in 76, so it was within my lifetime. and NO, not 1876.
I grew up in Pittsburgh and I remember my Dad paying around $20 for a doctor's visit in the 60s.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
You will, however, see that the public thinks it is a legal right, and therefore it's just a matter of time.

Just like when blacks could not sit in the front of the bus.
Social might makes right then? Yep, Madison and Jefferson spoke greatly about the corruption of the mob to serve their individual interests over that of the public.

You do blacks a disservice by hijacking the hardships they endured in order to serve your own ends. Blacks were by law not allowed to choose, they were forced by socially dominated opinion.

You do not fight for a cause to banish such, you cling to that very position of social might to serve your agenda. Your position is no different than those who claimed blacks were inferior. The only difference is that you use those who are successful and stir the public to serve your agenda. Your position is against everything this country stands for.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not a fact. Why don't you try to convince us why health care should not fall under General Welfare clause.
Study the 10th Amendment.

Part of the problem - a large part of the debate is, MANDATING that you HAVE to have insurance or be fined.

IF, there was NO MANDATE - NO FINE provisions - you might be surprised at the support health care legislation would get.

Our Constitution is about FREEDOM - Mandating something like this on a federal level is opposite of freedom.

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
As a lawyer, I understand the how the system works.

And sorry, health care / health insurance is not a constitutionally protected / given right

NOR, will you find a court decision that says it is so.
GD, your covered. You are a lawyer and your wife is a doctor. That's nice, I'm sure you are very comfortable and there's nothing wrong with success. I was comfortable at one time until my wife became severely ill. Success has ended in my world these past several years. Hopefully it can change but it rests on the most narrow of ropes.

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
When people think something in a 70% majority, it soon becomes a fact.

Remember the Civil rights Movement, circa 1961?

That's where we are with Health Care as a right is at present.
Consensus..enough people say it then it becomes fact ?
Doesn't make it right though and doesn't make it "a fact" either.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times
Quote:
Study the 10th Amendment.

Part of the problem - a large part of the debate is, MANDATING that you HAVE to have insurance or be fined.

IF, there was NO MANDATE - NO FINE provisions - you might be surprised at the support health care legislation would get.

Our Constitution is about FREEDOM - Mandating something like this on a federal level is opposite of freedom.
You sure you are a lawyer?

2,229 posts, read 1,687,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How about a simple definition:

General -
applying to all or most members of a category or group; "the general public"; "general assistance"; "a general rule"; "in general terms ...
not specialized or limited to one class of things; "general studies"; "general knowledge"

Since, even with illegals, the number of uninsured is 45 million, in a country of over 300 million, that right there makes the claim that the proposal plan is not "general".

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
You sure you are a lawyer?
You sure you were a cop?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times
[quote=Nomander;9931317]Social might makes right then? Yep, Madison and Jefferson spoke greatly about the corruption of the mob to serve their individual interests over that of the public.quote]

Madison and Jefferson were both slave owners.

They have been dead for a long time, along with most of their ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies