Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Most people want to be treated like a human being when they go to a doctor. Many patients are viewed as nothing more than a walking wallet. I am surprised that some of these rip off medical people don't have cash register noises coming out of their butts ! Old lady on a walker ? Cha Ching. Give her every test in the book, although she doesn't NEED it ? Cha Ching !
Give her every test in the book because if they don't, and she ends up having something they missed, greedy lawyers are going to sue the doctor for several million dollars - and the lawyers keep 60%-70% of the settlements.

You must have family that benefits from frivolous lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Because it's not that easy.

And the people that are crying about healthcare - as are you - are going to be the first ones screaming about universal health-care when it's YOUR health care that is being regulated. When it's YOU that is being told "No, your condition doesn't warrant help" by the government.

People need to stop demonizing the wrong things.
Have you watched Sicko?
Do you realize how malevolently aggressive these insurance companies are in doing everything they possibly can to deny needed treatments?!! and how ruthless they are when it comes to denying people initial coverage?
This is not just Michael Moore spinning a tale and trying to further an agenda.
Watch the film.
Listen to the whistle-blowers who worked on behalf of the insurance companies to do everything possible to save $$$ at the expense of peoples health and even their lives!
I was shocked.
No need to demonize those companies ... they are demonic.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
The man is an idiot. Should be labled a biography about his life. I watched it and he overexagerated and magnified specific faults to make it appear the entire country was that way. A country as big as this is certain to have any level good or bad of healthcare issues. He sought out the worst and made blanket statements about the entire nation.
You're right. How anybody can take seriously anything Michael Moore says or does is beyond me.

There are problems with our health-care systems. Problems are inherent in any organization or organism. But to think that Michael Moore has the answers is asinine.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Have you watched Sicko?
Do you realize how malevolently aggressive these insurance companies are in doing everything they possibly can to deny needed treatments?!! and how ruthless they are when it comes to denying people initial coverage?
This is not just Michael Moore spinning a tale and trying to further an agenda.
Watch the film.
Listen to the whistle-blowers who worked on behalf of the insurance companies to do everything possible to save $$$ at the expense of peoples health and even their lives!
I was shocked.
No need to demonize those companies ... they are demonic.
The bolded statement alone completely destroys all your credibility.

The fact that you watch "Sicko" and believe it to be a documentary, then claim that insurance companies are Demonic... Well, that pretty much says it all.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:

The fact that you watch "Sicko" and believe it to be a documentary, then claim that insurance companies are Demonic... Well, that pretty much says it all.
Whether you like Michael Moore or not, the message in Sicko was pretty clear. Whether people want to admit it or not, those things do happen to ordinary, hard working Americans who have insurance.

Don't shoot the messenger -- listen to the message.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
You know, I miss the health care I used to have, too. Before the HMO's and PPO's and other large corporations intruded into the health and wellness space. Before that happened, there used to be doctors that had the time to spend with you, not just to write a prescription. Doctors that weren't so harried. Doctors that had time to practice their craft. Gosh, I even remember doctors that made house calls. There was a time, believe it or not, when there were physicians in the Dr. Welby mold...

And now? The new doctor I recently went to, as a new patient, told me right up front, "Now I can't spend much time with you, your insurance company doesn't pay me enough to do that." I was shocked. Still am. I won't be going back to him, I don't think. Maybe he spoke the truth, but I was hoping for just a little bit more...human warmth...caring?

Once I had a wonderful doctor. She did care. Guess she cared too much. She quit practicing. Said she couldn't operate under the "system" of the HMO. Said it wasn't the way she envisioned working with patients. That it had all turned into a numbers game and she was running from patient to patient. The health and wellness profession lost a wonderful physician and diagnostician when she quit...

I want single payer health care. Eliminate the middle men--bring back humane health care for humans.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Whether you like Michael Moore or not, the message in Sicko was pretty clear. Whether people want to admit it or not, those things do happen to ordinary, hard working Americans who have insurance.

Don't shoot the messenger -- listen to the message.
So...

Since people are killed in car accident every day, we should outlaw ALL cars, right?

Since some women die giving birth, we should outlaw pregnancy, right?

Since some patients die during open heart surgery, we should outlaw open heart surgery, right?

Drawing broad sweeping conclusions, based on the insane hype of Michael Moore's "Look At Me, I'm An Attention Wh*re!" movie is asinine. Perhaps if he got any of his facts right, rather than selecting a few convenient sound-bytes, he'd have some credibility. But as it is, Michael Moore is actually a poster boy AGAINST socialized health care.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:

Firstly, i don't appreciate my post being edited by you or anyone.
And 2nd? HuH? That sentence makes no sense so either you need to hone your writing skills or increase your mental clarity.
And if you have watched the film and don't realize that the practices of these insurance companies are heartless and merciless, immoral and corrupt, i'd say you're in serious denial and i would wonder why.
I've been aware for a long time that these companies are problematic.
But i had no idea of the extent of their corrupt (and yeah, i'll say evil) practices.
Ummmmm, "believe" it to be a documentary"? HuH? What would you call it?
And here, i'll make a distinction for you.
The word "demonize" implies an erroneous and/or unfair and undeserved projection of evil or of the demonic onto someone(s) who is not evil or demonic.
If a person or group (in this case these insurance companies) is indeed "evil" or demonic, that word "demonize" is not applicable.
And finally, have you watched the film?

Last edited by coyoteskye; 08-03-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Once I had a wonderful doctor. She did care. Guess she cared too much. She quit practicing. Said she couldn't operate under the "system" of the HMO. Said it wasn't the way she envisioned working with patients. That it had all turned into a numbers game and she was running from patient to patient. The health and wellness profession lost a wonderful physician and diagnostician when she quit...
First of all, your doctor didn't quit because of an HMO. She quit because of the paperwork - which will be exponentially WORSE if we become a single-payer healthcare nation. She quit because of exorbitant malpractice insurance premiums.

But most likely she didn't quit at all. She simply moved to a different practice with a different organization. I'd bet my last dollar on it.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Firstly, i don't appreciate my post being edited by you or anyone.
I didn't edit your post. I shortened it. I shortened it because I intentionally was only responding to part of it.

Stop being so touchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies