Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Deporting Illegals:would it help fund Healthcare Reform
Yes. 19 45.24%
No. 7 16.67%
It would help,but not enough. 11 26.19%
The costs to deport would actually hurt funding. 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
absolutely positively a great big pure unqualified YES.
I am quite surprised by your response. Certainly not something I expected from the radically liberal left. But I do agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
deporting ALL illegals would create a huge vaccum in all sectors of society in the US. thats unreasonable, unfeasible, economically disastrous, fiscally ridiculous. that wont happen.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM

good luck with that request!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
How about including some links to stats on how many illegals are actually on "welfare" and what it might cost to deport all of them.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
all of those! i think it is a great poll to see where americans stand on the issue and i only wish that we could get the legislators to see how we feel.
I can think of two, Orly Taitz, and Mitt Romney

Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
This is one of those questions that seem simple but really aren't. Like someone else said, magically it could work. Realistically it probably won't help as much as people think. More money would have to be spent on deporting..and keeping people from coming back..than we currently spend. I don't know what the offset would be.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:25 PM

additionally, how much worse would that make the real estate/housing business. are people from outlying areas going to flock back into urban areas once inhabitted by the deported illegals?
we would have an abundance of empty/foreclosed homes.
and thats just one angle.
mass deportation wont work.

a slower extended account and vetting of these people would be possible. but as one fell swoop, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is one of those questions that seem simple but really aren't. Like someone else said, magically it could work. Realistically it probably won't help as much as people think. More money would have to be spent on deporting..and keeping people from coming back..than we currently spend. I don't know what the offset would be.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
While you are whinning about foreigners taking these jobs, remember who made the decision to get rid of the American employees and hire cheaper foreign labor. What is the nationality of the deciders? What is the nationality of the people who benefited materially from this decision? These people are called Americans.
True, and if they're in jail for facilitating illegal labor they can spend some time rethinking the meaning of "profit."

Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
deporting ALL illegals would create a huge vaccum in all sectors of society in the US. thats unreasonable, unfeasible, economically disastrous, fiscally ridiculous. that wont happen.
what would fill that vacuum?

Americans and legal residents maybe?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I voted that it would help. If you really want to live in a better country lets rid ourselves of the biggest white elephant of all, NASA

Without NASA we could fund free healthcare for every man woman and child in this country with no co-pays. Even enough to cover cosmetic surgery to anyone who wanted boobs or a flat tummy or a smaller nose. There would still be enough left over to make damn sure that no man, woman or child in America would ever go hungry or homeless ever again. There still would be more left over to send any American to college who wanted to further their education at no cost to the student.

This is just for starters.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I voted that it would help. If you really want to live in a better country lets rid ourselves of the biggest white elephant of all, NASA

Without NASA we could fund free healthcare for every man woman and child in this country with no co-pays. Even enough to cover cosmetic surgery to anyone who wanted boobs or a flat tummy or a smaller nose. There would still be enough left over to make damn sure that no man, woman or child in America would ever go hungry or homeless ever again. There still would be more left over to send any American to college who wanted to further their education at no cost to the student.

This is just for starters.
$8.7 billion/year?

NASA Budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"CBO estimates that appropriations for operations in Afghanistan and Iraq since 2001 through February 2008 total $752 billion.[46]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...(United_States)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies