Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Neither is police protection or national defense.

Such hostility from you, my right-wing friend. Two questions for you. Would you hire some of these people who will not work or take responsibility for themselves? After all, you are privileged and have resources. Also, would you be welcoming to these folks if they wanted to move near or into your neighborhood?

Just asking.
As of 2007 or so I disavowed myself from both major parties. I'm pretty conservative in regards to fiscal policies but pretty liberal socialy. Do what you want behind so long as you don't infringe on the rights of others or expect the rest of us to pay for it is my motto.

Is that Right Wing?

To answer your questions:

I would hire anyone who is qualified and has the right attitude and work ethic.

I could care less who lives next to me so long as they are good neighbors. A good neighbor to me is someone who respects others, is civil (doesn't have to be your buddy), minds their own business and will help out in a time of crisis.

Back to my point, there are millions and millions citizen and illegal alike that basically want a handout but will take zero responsibility for themselves or do anything to improve their situation. As taxpayers we get to foot the bill for these people.

The lazy leeching off the rest of us probably won't ever change and I don't think you can refuse care to anyone no matter how irresponsible they are but what galls me is the attitude of the left.

The vibe many of us get is that its my duty to provide for the lazy. That as a white male I am lower than pond scum and my only role is as a worker bee to provide tax dollars to the government to be redistributed to more "worthy" persons who by virtue of being born latino or female or gay or muslim or black (Oops or Union LOL) are my betters.

If the left would just take a different tack perhaps we all could come up with a solution to our heath care issues that would be acceptable to all. The contempt many on the left have for whites, men especially doesn't go unnoticed.

If you want my help don't spit in my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM

952 posts, read 942,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Give me a break. The insurance industry makes a profit--so what? For you leftists profit equals greed. It's that kind of moralistic calculus that made Soviet bloc nations, North Korea, Cuba, China and Viet Nam a living hell for millions upon millions of people. God save us from the self-anointed do-gooders.

Dramatically expanding the National Healthcare programs is a major part of the entitlement mentality advanced by Dems and the Left. The compassionate liberal should pay for the care of the uninsured individuals of their choice.

With exceptions (children, veterans, the handicapped....), citizens have no right to demand others pay for their boo-boos. Death and infirmity happen Cherish your health and recognize the commitment and hard work entailed in maintaining it. Why would your health and the financial encumbrance be more important to others, than to yourself?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Neither is police protection or national defense.

Such hostility from you, my right-wing friend. Two questions for you. Would you hire some of these people who will not work or take responsibility for themselves? After all, you are privileged and have resources. Also, would you be welcoming to these folks if they wanted to move near or into your neighborhood?

Just asking.
are you serious?

Police are state run, and thus a non-issue here, and national defense is written into the Constitution! Health care for everyone is not.

I thought this was common knowledge...

Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"taxpayer funded healthcare for the poor," not run by the government?

sorry, you lost me.
Same as Medicare part D prescription drug program paid for by taxpayers run through insurance companies.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Yeah, and the foxes favor unfettered access to the henhouse.
How is it unfettered? Are you familiar with Medicare part D ? Hardly unfettered.

And who is controlling the government in a public system?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM

639 posts, read 1,143,072 times
Why do polls only work when they agree with liberal ideaology?? 87% of Americans are pleased with their health care. Are you listening Barack?? Are you listening Pelosi?? Are you listening Reid?? Are you listening Specter?? Are you listening Rangel, Schumer??? Yes, there are problems with our health care system but you don't throw out the baby, bath tub, tiles, towels, and wash cloths with the water. Forget about a public option or letting bureaucrats advise on ANYTHING end of life. How about the following:

1) Let anyone purchase insurance from ANYWHERE regardless of state boundaries!!
2) Tort Reform....enact it and Doctors can stop defending themselves from frivolous lawsuits...thus lowering costs.....
3) Get rid of the BILLIONS of dollars worth of fraud currently in Medicare and Medicaid....boy that is a no brainer.......want to say money....sounds like an easy way!!!!

This truly is NOT a Democratic or Republican issue....the government has FAILED us and become fat and bloated....they have destroyed Social Security (soon we will be allowed to collect when we are 86!!!), bankrupted Medicare (costs have increased NINE times the estimates of what they would be at this time), bankrupted Medicaid......the only thing the government has touched that has worked is the United States Postal Service....ooooops...sorry...they are getting their tails kicked there by PRIVATE companies that can do it BETTER, FASTER, and for CHEAPER!!!! Why in the world would ANYONE, Democrat or Republican, turn over our health care system to these BOOBS who have failed us OVER and OVER with the belief that they can do it better and cheaper???????????

Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaluce View Post
Dramatically expanding the National Healthcare programs is a major part of the entitlement mentality advanced by Dems and the Left. The compassionate liberal should pay for the care of the uninsured individuals of their choice.
Are you so short-sighted that you fail to see how vulnerable you are, even as one of the almighty insured? I'm insured, too, by a company that is well known in the industry for dumping subscribers whose medical claims exceed expectations. Thankfully, we're all generally healthy, but I'm constantly anxious about how reliable that coverage will turn out to be in the event of an unexpected medical crisis, either one in our family or a co-worker's family, that causes our insurer to rethink its relationship with my husband's employer.

Furthermore, I think it's important to keep in mind how our national workplace is changing and how it affects health care. Companies all over this country are outsourcing jobs at all income levels to independent contractors, who may not have any other options for insurance coverage. It's a trend that's unlikely to reverse. If you find yourself downsized and without benefits, where will you turn?

It's a nice distraction technique, railing about Democrats and their entitlement mentality, but you are missing the point: an American's access to health care coverage is based in a HUGE way on his ability to obtain traditional employment. Do you actually believe this is reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Why do polls only work when they agree with liberal ideaology?? 87% of Americans are pleased with their health care.
Whenever I hear someone shouting about how our health care system works, and they haven't had any problems, I want to ask them whether or not they've ever put Cigna or UnitedHealthcare or Aetna or Blue Cross/Blue Shield to the test. My guess is a resounding no.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-14-2009 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: combined posts

Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
are you serious?

Police are state run, and thus a non-issue here, and national defense is written into the Constitution! Health care for everyone is not.

I thought this was common knowledge...

The point is, people like this poster, and other posters, are so anti-government, except for when government benefits them and people like them.

I thought this was common knowledge......

Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
How is it unfettered? Are you familiar with Medicare part D ? Hardly unfettered.

And who is controlling the government in a public system?
Did you see the context of my post?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Fail.
Ok.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies