Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOl I always assumed you were a man.
Seriously? I don't know if I should be flattered or offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:06 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,248,239 times
I think there is a generational shift contributing to the problem. My parents let me know that once I turned 18, I was paying my own way, whether it be college, rent, whatever. I was free to make my own decisions but there were going to be no handouts. When I was teaching college English, I noticed alot of students lived at home, or had parents who were paying there way, not only their college tuition but other things. I saw alot of students driving expensive vehicles, designer clothes, and playing with all sorts of toys. I even heard one student say to another after one of my classes "Oh I don't care what it costs, my parents will pay for it." Rarely did these kids work and they spent alot of time partying. I'm not saying all students do this and I'm not saying students didn't do it when I attended college, but I saw more of it with the upcoming generation when I was teaching.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:07 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
http://www.aflcio.org/aboutus/laborday/upload/laborday2009_report.pdf (broken link)

According to this report from the AFL-CIO, young people under 35 are strugging to gain independence and make ends meet in very large numbers. 1 in three young adults under 35 live with their parents, 31% don't have health insurance and only 31% report making enough money to pay all the bills and save at least some of their income. They are burdened with student loans and are putting off traditional "rites of passage" like buying a house and having children.

So what is causing the problem? Is it the generation itself or outside pressures out of their control?
Well, since this comes from the AFL-CIO, the answer must be that we need more unionized green jobs, and we need big government to pull it off.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
LOl I always assumed you were a man.
< --

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, since this comes from the AFL-CIO, the answer must be that we need more unionized green jobs, and we need big government to pull it off.

Big government might have their hand in this one. Young people under 35 are also more likely to believe Obama will save them, according to the report.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
< --
Weird.....so this forum considers the prairie dog female.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 AM

82 posts, read 192,779 times
I'm 28. Here are my theories:

- College. Society has convinced us that EVERYONE needs to go to college. The result from this is soaring tuition costs. Not only that, but you now need a college degree to get the same job you could 30 years ago with a GED. Since everyone gets a degree, they've become less valuable. 20 somethings start their lives 100 grand in student loan debt.

- Entitlement. Growing up, I wasn't given much. I didn't think I needed much. Unlike many people my age, I've never had credit card debt.

- Housing bubble. Older people were raking it in during 2000-2008, as they saw their property values soar. Young people could not get into the market. This is changing, though. However, in areas like where I am, it still costs a lot to get into a safe neighborhood.

I'm married, own a home (our second, actually, we just moved). For the northeast, this is bucking the trend. We're not high-income, just conservative with money. Many people my age drink my mortgage in alcohol.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
Quote:
6 times out of 10 it's the parents fault for giving them unrealistic expectations.
I wholeheartedly agree...Did ya ever see that news piece about the "Millennials"?
These are the kids we're talking about.

from Wiki:
Generation Y in the workforce

Economic prospects for generation Y have worsened due to the Late-2000s recession. Several governments have instituted major youth employment schemes out of fear of social unrest such as the 2008 Greek riots due to the dramatically increased rates of youth unemployment.[41] In Europe youth unemployment levels are very high (40% in Spain, 35% in the Baltic states, and more than 20% in many more) as of 2009 leading commentators to worry about the long term social and economic effects of the unemployment.[42] Unemployment levels in other areas of the world are also high, with the youth unemployment rate in the U.S. reaching a record level (18.5%) since the statistic started being gathered in 1948, in July 2009.[43]
The Millennials are sometimes called the "Trophy Generation", or "Trophy Kids,"[44] a term that reflects the trend in competitive sports, as well as many other aspects of life, where "no one loses" and everyone gets a "Thanks for Participating" trophy and symbolizing a perceived sense of entitlement. It has been reported that this is an issue in corporate environments."[44] Some employers are concerned that Millennials have too great expectations from the workplace and desire to shape their jobs to fit their lives rather than adapt their lives to the workplace.[45] To better understand this mindset, many large firms are currently studying this conflict and are trying to devise new programs to help older employees understand Millennials, while at the same time making Millennials more comfortable. For example, Goldman Sachs conducts training programs that use actors to portray Millennials who assertively seek more feedback, responsibility, and involvement in decision making. After the performance, employees discuss and debate the generational differences they have seen played out"[44]

see full page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y

Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Seriously? I don't know if I should be flattered or offended.
Actually, I'm just as guilty as nat. Until I noticed that little icon under your profile couple of months ago (adding a picture, anything, will pull gender information from profile). Although, I believe, if you don't have a picture, the female (or male) icon will still be there but faded so not easily noticeable.

Quote:
6 times out of 10 it's the parents fault for giving them unrealistic expectations.
That might depend on what one would call unrealistic. I'm meeting quite a few young folks who are struggling to find a job, and these are well educated. Parents did a fine job, and while they are not living with their parents, they are still depending on them, while they try to settle down.

And then, I just met a guy who bought his 17-yr old son a brand new Infiniti G37 coupe because he didn't want to drive a 2000 Volvo S80.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,430,049 times
Parents don't give their kids enough drive. Back when you used to be booted out at 18, your survival instinct took over and you figured it out. We hand too many people too much these days. If you have nothing, and are given nothing, you'll figure out how to make a living and how to become a success.

If you're given everything, you have no respect for anything and won't be successful.

The young generations feel like they're entitled to things and have no idea how to become successful, and have no respect for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies