Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:11 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So its either stay and struggle to get by in sunny San Diego (L.A, NYC, SF, etc) or pull up stakes and move someplace where you'll get more for your dollar (cost of living). Sounds like those choosing option one have nobody to blame but themselves if they are struggling. (Yes, I'm sure there are sometimes circumstances in which people cannot simply up and relocate somewhere else but if your only reason for not moving is because you'll no longer be able to say "I live in L.A.", you need a reality check.)
Oh for gods sakes. There''s many reasons why people live where they live, family, job, relationships, or maybe just maybe it's because they simply love it where they live. GASP!!!!!!! God forbid someone should live where they live because they honestly & truly like it, it makes them feel good. Go take your bad attitude & unleash it on someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 01:16 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh for gods sakes. There''s many reasons why people live where they live, family, job, relationships, or maybe just maybe it's because they simply love it where they live. GASP!!!!!!! God forbid someone should live where they live because they honestly & truly like it, it makes them feel good. Go take your bad attitude & unleash it on someone else.
Unlike you, I'm doing great so spare me the bad attitude take. I couldn't be happier.

Perhaps you noted the portion of my post in quotes that clearly states that not everyone can simply pack up and move somewhere else. It helps to read something in its entirety before responding with the typical verbal diarrhea.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Unlike you, I'm doing great so spare me the bad attitude take. I couldn't be happier.

Perhaps you noted the portion of my post in quotes that clearly states that not everyone can simply pack up and move somewhere else. It helps to read something before posting more verbal diarrhea.
Verbal diarrhea? Ha ha ha ha, yes I'll take that one w/a grain of salt. Yes, you also assumed that someone doesn't want to move just so they could say they live in L.A. As I said, people live where they want to live because it makes them feel good. I guess you didn't read that part?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:

Perhaps you noted the portion of my post in quotes that clearly states that not everyone can simply pack up and move somewhere else. It helps to read something in its entirety before responding with the typical verbal diarrhea.
I think it's a bit of a California defensive move. As a Californian, I get told all kinds of fun things and mostly I just laugh and let it go. Honestly, I'd rather be broke in California than rich in Detroit and many people just can't understand that. I have my reasons

Old 09-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it's a bit of a California defensive move. As a Californian, I get told all kinds of fun things and mostly I just laugh and let it go. Honestly, I'd rather be broke in California than rich in Detroit and many people just can't understand that. I have my reasons
Given that particular choice, I'd have to agree with you.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Feminism caused it. Once upon a time a college degree meant that you were guaranteed to own a house by age 30. Now it's simply not true, and the reason is the DOUBLING of the workforce without doubling the demand. The cost of employees fell for the corporations because there was far more competition for the same positions and therefore they were allowed to keep the wages down. If only one member of every household was allowed to work, it would drive up the costs to employ someone because of the increased demand for their services as an employee.
Aside from the blatant ridiculousness of this post, how would having one employed person making twice what two employed people make in a family create a situation in which adult children are better able to be independent?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Verbal diarrhea? Ha ha ha ha, yes I'll take that one w/a grain of salt. Yes, you also assumed that someone doesn't want to move just so they could say they live in L.A. As I said, people live where they want to live because it makes them feel good. I guess you didn't read that part?
Then don't get on a message board whining that you cannot make ends meet on what you make at your job in said location. (No, I'm not saying you did this personally)

Old 09-04-2009, 01:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Aside from the blatant ridiculousness of this post, how would having one employed person making twice what two employed people make in a family create a situation in which adult children are better able to be independent?
why ridiculous?? it means 1 parent would have been home with the kid and maybe taught him some life skills, for sure the TV did not do the job. the fact remains we did it better 50 years ago, they were grown at 18, them days are over.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:40 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with your college statement - I graduted High School in 1984 and even back then there was a "everyone must go to college" push. I wondered if my (lack of) Guidance Counselor got a commission for every student that got accepted into college! Also - I saw that "trades" like electrician, plumber, etc. were very looked down upon by my teachers

I see kids now (at least my nieces and nephews) that are expected to have their college and major picked out by the time they are Freshmen in High School.
A guidance councilor that understood the post-industrial era should not have discouraged the skilled trades as skilled workers will still be needed. What should have been discouraged was the unskilled jobs like manufacturing, mining and farming (unless we are talking about bio-chem or bio-engineering).

Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Take a break from the testy posts to hear George tell you why kids don't succeed today...

YouTube - George Carlin - Children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies