Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Add me to that list, too! They're hypocrites all around. The latest example is the desperate woman in Oklahoma, whose insurance carrier won't cover providing a way to feed her brain-injured husband, who begged through agonizing sobs at a Tom Coburn Town Hall meeting for him to do something about health insurance reform. Out of one side of his mouth he says government isn't the answer, and out of the other says, "call my office." Oh, and while you're at it, knock on your neighbors' doors and hold a bake sale or something. Because that's sure to raise tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

YouTube - Sen Coburn Tells Women Crying Over Health Care "Govt Is Not The Answer"
The FBI already has an office that investigates insurance fraud. All she has to do is call them. I bet the State of Oklahoma has one too. I'm just gonna guess that whatever this person wants covered wasn't in the policy to begin with and that is why the money os being denied.

I'm willing to bet that is the case in almost all situations like this. If the claims made by Obama were true about all this denying of coverage then all he would have to do is send out the FBI to bust some heads. But he won't do that because it aint happenning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post

The FBI already has an office that investigates insurance fraud. All she has to do is call them. I bet the State of Oklahoma has one too. I'm just gonna guess that whatever this person wants covered wasn't in the policy to begin with and that is why the money os being denied.

I'm willing to bet that is the case in almost all situations like this. If the claims made by Obama were true about all this denying of coverage then all he would have to do is send out the FBI to bust some heads. But he won't do that because it aint happenning.
That's not even close to the point. The woman wasn't complaining that her insurance carrier denied coverage that was actually in their policy. She was asking her Senator if he was going to do something to change the law so that insurance companies would have to provide such coverage. That's the kind of thing we're all fighting for here.

And the hypocrite tells her and the crowd that the government doesn't belong in the middle of healthcare issues between a patient and their insurance provider, but. . . call my office and we'll see what we can do to help. And even though I (a representative of the government) will involve myself and my staff on your behalf between you and your insurance provider this one time, the best way to approach this as a society is by having your neighbors help out instead.

It's a crock of crap.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:05 AM

654 posts, read 466,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I too applaud him for this move. My point is that sometimes government must step in when private industry fails as it has with health insurance. I didn't oppose Bush then and don't oppose Obama now but many on the GOP side have choosen the latter and not the former.
You got to be kidding me. Claiming that that private industry allowed for 9/11 wins the BS post of the day award. Congratulations on even making the truthers look sane. Plus, the Department of Homeland Security is one of the most wasteful and ineffective bureaucracies known to man. How you masturbate to government's competence is truly amazing.

As for insurance companies that delve in health and managed care, they rank 28 for profit margins. Pharmaceuticals are 3rd. Medical products and equipment are 4th. Life insurance is 9th.

If anything, government should step in on big Pharma, but since Obama has made a nice seat for Billy Tauzin at the round table discussion, I doubt that will happen. How many town hall meetings has Billy Tauzin showed up to? Plus, Democrats are overlooking the profits margins of medical products and equipment along with pharmaceuticals, but hey lets focus on health insurance industries who have a profit margin of 6.2%, instead of 15.8% and 15.2%.
Fortune 500 2008: Top Performers - Most Profitable Industries: Return on Revenues
http://www.slate.com/id/2224621/

Take your head out of the sand.

Last edited by I Like Taxes; 09-12-2009 at 05:19 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 04:13 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Maybe because conservatives are smarter than liberals and only voice dissent when they disagree, not as a matter of policy.

Or, maybe not

Definitely NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies