Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times

Advertisements

I have a very simple question for all of you people out there who are ripping Obamas health care plans apart.

What should the US do about it's health care situation? What is Obama doing wrong? What exactly do you not like about it?

It seems like most people against health reform just have a blind hate for Obama. Rather than disagreeing with what he is doing exactly, they just don't trust Obama himself and don't like his overall views.

So, obviously the US does need to do something. What should we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:43 AM

136 posts, read 107,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I have a very simple question for all of you people out there who are ripping Obamas health care plans apart.

What should the US do about it's health care situation? What is Obama doing wrong? What exactly do you not like about it?

It seems like most people against health reform just have a blind hate for Obama. Rather than disagreeing with what he is doing exactly, they just don't trust Obama himself and don't like his overall views.

I think you are making a broad-based assumption that is based not on facts, but your opinion. I disagree with the health are reform bill as proposed, but have nothing against President Obama. I simply disagree with a lot of his policies.

I also think that it was a severe breach of protocol for the GOP Senator from S. Carolina to shout "LIE!" during the President's speech. It shouldn't have happened.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:51 AM

I apologize for not answering your question fully. What I don't like about the plan:

No tort reform
People should be able to shop for insurance across state lines
Medicare will be impacted heavily

Those are a few.

Lastly, I have no faith in an entity that has run medicare, social security, and VA hospitals so poorly about taking on an issue such as health insurance. I simply have no faith in the government. And that opinion applies to government, not simply Democrats. I would have zero faith in the government playing a major role in health care if it was sponsored 100% by Republicans.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botique View Post
I apologize for not answering your question fully. What I don't like about the plan:

No tort reform
The largest applause from republicans tonight was regarding Obama's thoughts on malpractice reform.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 AM

323 posts, read 503,026 times
Exactly this, Paul Ryan's Freedom in Health Care reform. I encourage you to watch the first video if you're interested.

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) will discuss the impacts of various possible health care reforms. What positive reforms could be done? What will happen if we pass the wrong reforms? And what would the cost be of no reform at all?
Cato Institute Conference on Health Care Reform

Old 09-10-2009, 05:05 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botique View Post

No tort reform
People should be able to shop for insurance across state lines
Medicare will be impacted heavily

Those are a few.

Lastly, I have no faith in an entity that has run medicare, social security, and VA hospitals so poorly about taking on an issue such as health insurance. I simply have no faith in the government. And that opinion applies to government, not simply Democrats. I would have zero faith in the government playing a major role in health care if it was sponsored 100% by Republicans.
What exactly makes you think the Medicare and Social Security Administration have been run so poorly? How do you feel about the way the government has run libraries, fire departments, police departments and the postal service?

Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
What exactly makes you think the Medicare and Social Security Administration have been run so poorly? How do you feel about the way the government has run libraries, fire departments, police departments and the postal service?
First off, Medicare is wrought with fraud and abuse; it's also poorly underfunded. Social Security is about to go bankrupt. By the time I retire, I'll never see a dime of that money.

And the federal government doesn't run libraries, fire departments, and local police departments.

Haven't you heard about how bad a shape the Post Office is in lately? It operated billions in the red last year. Even President Obama commented on it in one of his speeches saying that FedX or UPS are much better run than the P.O.

http://www.federaltimes.com/index.php?S=4221595

How could you be so out of the loop on how poorly all of these federal programs are run? Would you choose to go to a VA hospital for treatment over a privately run hospital?

Medicare is so wrought with fraud and abuse the feds even have a special program to get back some of the money.

The Department of Health and Human Services And Health Care Fraud and Abuse Control Program Annual Report For FY 2000

Stop Medicare Fraud

Last edited by botique; 09-10-2009 at 05:25 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 05:21 AM

President Obama on the Post Office.

YouTube - OBAMA gaffe: 'UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It's the Post Office having problems"

Old 09-10-2009, 06:00 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:

What should the US do about it's health care situation?
What is the "health care situation"? Is there a "situation"? From what I have read, the vast majority of people are happy with their current health insurance (something in the neighborhood of 75%). So why do we need to take it away from them?

Quote:
What is Obama doing wrong? What exactly do you not like about it?
What's he doing wrong? Are you serious? He's trying to socialize the worlds best health care system and make it into a crappy government run system that is a failure in every country that has gone that route. Translation: Poor service (or no service), poor choices (or no choices), bureaucrats telling you what you can and cannot have in terms of treatment. And that is only for starters.

And these people have been lying about this since day one. Those who have read the bill currently in the House, know they are lying, and most of our Senators and Representatives have no clue what's in the plan, which was put together by (to a large extent) Tom Daschle, and others outside of Congress. They are going to vote (once again) on a bill they know little about; a bill that will change America and all Americans lives forever. There will be no possibility of turning back.

We simply should not, can not, go down this road. It is a disaster.

Quote:
It seems like most people against health reform just have a blind hate for Obama.
You think this is just about hatred for Obama? Typical.

Quote:
Rather than disagreeing with what he is doing exactly, they just don't trust Obama himself and don't like his overall views.
While there is plenty of reason to not trust Obama (first and foremost, he is a liar) this is about a plan that we do not need, nor do we want, and it is far too expensive.

And you want to know how it will be paid for? Tax increases on everything imaginable, including sugar sweetened beverages, despite what Barney Frank said...it's in the Baucus bill, which Rush read much of on his show yesterday (yes, the eeeevil Rush Limbaugh dared to read from a bill to inform listeners what's in it! ) The Baucus bill is basically a tax bill that revises so much tax code it's mind boggling, and collects more taxes and forces more withholding from virtually everyone across the spectrum.

The government will know more about you, and your life. No one will escape the prying eyes of the government.

Quote:
Obviously? Obvious to whom?

If we have to do something, Tort reform would be the place to start.

Baucus Healthcare Revenue Options | Sweetness & Light

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 09-10-2009 at 06:19 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

Simple

1. elminate the current medical tort system and replace it with a peer review board

2. eliminate fee for service medicine and use flat salaries with set minimal patient loads per day

3. enroll the uninsured in the current medicare system

Reason it will never happen- trial lawyers own the democraty. When the host dies, so does the parasite. A good parasite will weaken, but not kill the host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies