Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM

20,502 posts, read 12,441,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
How many old people do you know are retaining their jobs on "merit"? Most that I know are puttering old geezers who are completely detached from modern processes and reality. Their time has passed, but they stay in fat paycheck jobs getting paid for their past glory.

What is your definition of "earn"?
then beat them out and become their boss. I would never ever take your tackt. sorry.

your question is a silly one. we all know what that means.

We aint enemies but i dont agree with you on this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,684,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Can you give me an honest reason why the average baby boomer shouldnt have enough to live on, in combination with, social security after 40 years of working?

2. Living lifestyles that are completely unneccessary. In the past two years, Ive watched 4 people in my office, all without kids, and all over 50, move in to McMansions, and assume mortgage payments.....why did they need to do this? I dont know. I can think of doing a lot of things at age 50, but assuming a new 30 year mortgage is not one of them. Every car that has a retail value over 40k in the lot is owned by someone over 50 years old.
And that's the way it SHOULD be. Older people have saved and earned the money to buy expensive cars, etc. What kind of burns me up is seeing the average 20-something in an expensive car; you just know they didn't EARN that money (but they sure feel entitled to have it). The 20-somethings are also the ones buying the McMansions, not the older folks (unless they are rich and can afford to do so).

Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,225,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
And to top it off and really tick me off we have the issue of medical marijuana. Really, where is an old person, in a rural area, that has mobility issues going to buy it. If you do manage to then there are people that swear it's not really of any medical use, though I swear it helps tremendously with my particular situation.

I have never used any drugs but I do actually think all drugs should be legalized and regulated. So you wont find an argument from me on that one. I think its rediculous to pick and choose what is legalized, a whole lot of which is far more dangerous then some stuff that is legal, and what isnt.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:48 PM

20,502 posts, read 12,441,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
MY generation wasn't old enough to vote during the height of Viet Nam. MY generation is one reason the voting age was lowered to 18 from 21. "You're old enough to kill, but not for voting" went a popular song in the late 60s.

Very few boomers are SS recipinets yet. The oldest of us are 63 years old (born in 1946). The youngest, born in 1964, still have >20 years to work. The oldest of us couldn't serve in the house of representatives until 1976, nor the senate until 1981, and most people are not elected to congress until at least their 40s, making the first boomer incursion arouond 1986 for the House and 1991 for the senate.

You say I"m making this personal, but you are the one who screasm YOU at us boomers, as if (as I said before) we are all personally responsible for what you believe b/c you listen too much to Rush, Sean, et al to be the demise of SS before you get a chance to collect.
I am at work all day genius. I don’t have time to listen to Rush and Hannity.

Sorry, your line aint working with me. I thought I was on ignore? LOL!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
then beat them out and become their boss. I would never ever take your tackt. sorry.
You are assuming that people are rewarded solely on merit or ability in this society, and that couldnt be any further from the truth. Most of the elderly clogging up the pipes are in no danger of ever losing their job until they retire (or on rare occassion, are pressure into retirement).

Quote:
your question is a silly one. we all know what that means.
You would be surprised how many definitions of the word "earn" there is.

For instance....are you in a production job? If you arent, say, you are a manager of a warehouse.....did you earn your salary? How can you possibly measure that, outside of the fact that your company is profiting and must be stealing some portion of your labor value? Do you measure it by the fact you still have a job? Is a geezer who cant figure out Microsoft Office, and spends his half days at the office alternating between passing out, and checking emails from his grand kids, "earning" his salary by the same merit you are?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
And that's the way it SHOULD be. Older people have saved and earned the money to buy expensive cars, etc.
Savings have nothing to do with it. Its not like they saved for 30 years, and had enough to buy an expensive car. They are financing that expensive car, and expensive lifestyle, with working more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What kind of burns me up is seeing the average 20-something in an expensive car; you just know they didn't EARN that money (but they sure feel entitled to have it). The 20-somethings are also the ones buying the McMansions, not the older folks (unless they are rich and can afford to do so).
Really? I dont know anyone under 30 who even owns a house of any kind (except a military couple who is paying for it on the tax payers dime), forget about a McMansion.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,815,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not interested in any kind of generational warfare. The things that are being said about the 20somethings were said about us Boomers when we were young (wanting to take too much time off work, general lack of work ethic, etc). What goes around comes around. That is what some of us have been trying to say.
Well, that makes me feel better, because I was beginning to be somewhat discouraged like, what you were never a young adult? Of coarse, I think my work ethic is pretty good, I don't lay out. I use to cut class a lot, but work, you can count on me. I did quit a job once in my teens and felt to bad for quitting so I just didn't call, had it relayed, that was a big no no. I would never do that now.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,815,774 times
or cut class, I'm hoping to go back and have really learned my lesson there.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,124,866 times
Quote:
I am at work all day genius. I don’t have time to listen to Rush and Hannity.

Sorry, your line aint working with me. I thought I was on ignore? LOL!
You seem to have plenty of time to post on CD, though. I don't have that luxury at my work (today is my day off).

I said I was thinking of putting you on ignore.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,717,466 times
The gov't can do whatever they want with SS. I planned that it wouldn't be available when I got to the right age. I hope everyone else did too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies