Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 04:28 PM

125 posts, read 140,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Dear dorock,
As a "Baby Boomer" that paid into Social Security all of my working life and as a Democrat, kiss mine. While you (and most in your age group) were still on the T***y, I (and many more like me) were working and paying taxes while raising a family and caring for our elderly. We supported welfare for the needy and defended our country as well as contributied to the health and welfare of many nations around the world. We put ourselves last so that we could help others.
We were willing to give you a chance to grow up and mature, hoping you would grow out of your snot nosed attitudes. Now, I understand you think that you're entitled to all the toys as we gave and gave so that you could have an enjoyable childhood but, guess what? It's your turn now so, grow up and wipe your own behind and while your at it you can wipe ours too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
I'm a Boomer and have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread.

I am sorry things are so difficult.

For each and every one concerned.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Im more then smart enough to do whatever youre doing dude, probably better, and Ill do it for less. Unfortunatley, I wont get that chance until Im old and grey because you foagies wont leave until you drop dead in your custom made chairs. Youre too busy paying for your McMansions and your Mercedes.

As for washing dishes......I havent been in the service industry since my first couple years of college.
Good for you. You've obviously not matured much because you think you have some right to my job. I only have it because of my skill and experience, so take your best shot.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
Quote:
Savings have nothing to do with it. Its not like they saved for 30 years, and had enough to buy an expensive car. They are financing that expensive car, and expensive lifestyle, with working more years.

Really? I dont know anyone under 30 who even owns a house of any kind (except a military couple who is paying for it on the tax payers dime), forget about a McMansion.
How in the heck do YOU know how people are paying for things? Are you God? I'm 58. Just last week I though my old car died and decided to buy a new one (turned out is was only a minor problem). I could have purchased a new car with cash from my savings (separate from my retirement fund). And if I chose to finance a car I would have had no trouble paying the monthly nut. I would hardly notice, actually. I am looking forward to retiring at 65; I won't have to work to 'finance' anything. My mortgage will be paid off in two years, no car payment, no credit card debt, etc. And I am a secretary, and was a single mother (kids all grown now).

You should concentrate on getting your own life together and quit being so jealous of others.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL! that with a spoon full of sugar eh Church?

We dont agree on much but you have grown on my RLC. I appologize for coming accross far more bitter and angery than I really am.

I do certainly think Ronald Reagan was right way back in the 1960s about SS. and I certainly think it is a mess of the highest order and I dont think I will get much out of a system that I will pay into...

By the way, I dont plan on relying on SS. All SS is, is a way to insure poverty.

the sad thing is, given a different structure where the funds are in individaul accounts, it could insure no one (even the poor) retire below the poverty line.
SS is and always was a safety net. No rational working person plans to retire on SS.

I wonder why people want to retire. We're, or at least I am, way past the stage of assembly line work. I enjoy my work. Why would I ever retire? I've just learned there's a bonus. I can keep some snot nosed kid who thinks he deserves my job working in the mail room a few more years.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
Randondude, I'll have to introduce you to my son. He's under thirty and owns a fantastic house in expensive NJ, less than he could afford. He probably wouldn't have time because he works twice as many hours and twice as hard as most kids his age would even dream of, just like i did too for many years. It's called putting in your dues.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Can you give me an honest reason why the average baby boomer shouldnt have enough to live on, in combination with, social security after 40 years of working?

2. Living lifestyles that are completely unneccessary. In the past two years, Ive watched 4 people in my office, all without kids, and all over 50, move in to McMansions, and assume mortgage payments.....why did they need to do this? I dont know. I can think of doing a lot of things at age 50, but assuming a new 30 year mortgage is not one of them. Every car that has a retail value over 40k in the lot is owned by someone over 50 years old.
My wife and I are in the "Boomer" generation. Our Adult Children are doing extremely well. We have 4 Grandchildren - 1 great-grandchild - all doing well. It is "just us" at home.

However, we have a lifestyle that I'm sure you would find ... "unnecessary". But, a lifestyle nonetheless that pleases us. For instance, within the last few months, we completed a new summer home in Alaska. Withing the last 2 years, we completed a new 6000 sq ft home here in Arizona - Home Theater with 16 seats - fire pits - outdoor kitchen etc.

We have out "toys" - the boat, motorcycles, the RV, the airplane etc.

And, they are paid for.

So, what's your problem - get your own job - sweat your own sweat - get educated like we did.

Maybe you will be able to do the same someday.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The gov't can do whatever they want with SS. I planned that it wouldn't be available when I got to the right age. I hope everyone else did too.
I agree.

I gave up paying into social security and medicare.

It isn't worth it

Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
That is a rediculous notion my friend. The elderly are clogging up far too many jobs, especially the good ones. I think people should be forced to retire at 58. 40 years of working should be more then enough to have saved for your own retirement. .
Foolish - forced to retire?

What you fail to recognize is, you are trying to do away with experience - experience only an "older" person can have.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:10 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
How in the heck do YOU know how people are paying for things? Are you God? I'm 58. Just last week I though my old car died and decided to buy a new one (turned out is was only a minor problem). I could have purchased a new car with cash from my savings (separate from my retirement fund). And if I chose to finance a car I would have had no trouble paying the monthly nut. I would hardly notice, actually. I am looking forward to retiring at 65; I won't have to work to 'finance' anything. My mortgage will be paid off in two years, no car payment, no credit card debt, etc. And I am a secretary, and was a single mother (kids all grown now).

You should concentrate on getting your own life together and quit being so jealous of others.
Jealous? No, not jealous, I could care less what you have. My beef is that you are sitting in a living wage job someone who actually needs it could have. You had 40 years to make a living. Get out of the job and let someone else have a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies