Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are making a huge assumption that there won't be any money in this system by the time you retire. This talk of SS running out of money has been going on for decades, and the money hasn't run out yet. Yet Chicken Little (in the form of vaious politicians and agitators) says so, and you believe it. Do you have a crystal ball? I could seriously use one.

The life expectancies of the elderly are simply becoming far too long for SS as is to handle it. We are either going to need to continuously raise the age, jump the tax rate, or dump the system altogether. There is no other choice.

If we keep the status quo for SS, there certainly will be no money for us to draw off of, after we spent most of our working lives paying in.

They certainly need to cut SS off at the knees and allow the young to bail out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,681 times
lol, why do baby-boomers hate the younger generations? Geez, the worst thing about the baby-boomers, and the best, is that they all know what they deserve. The irony of accusing the young of feeling entitled. The younger generations feel that it is y'all that areentitled! And you know you are!!!! Cracks me up. It's too bad they despise us so much collectively, sure individually they appreciate us, but really, when you get around the older generations and hear what they really think of yours, it's kind of sad. Whatever the generation before the baby-boomers was, they were like completely different. The baby-boomers parents, they didn't expect anything, which might have hurt them too though, but they seem so gentle, made you want to give them more. Hopefully it's an age thing, and not generational. Whatever the case, special group the baby-boomers are, very tough and hard working, and yes yes, we all have to pay you back for everything you have done for us. Keeps you humble though, like 'no your not being nice to me and deserve special feelings that you've done something good, you pretty much have to' haha.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
lol, why do baby-boomers hate the younger generations? Geez, the worst thing about the baby-boomers, and the best, is that they all know what they deserve. The irony of accusing the young of feeling entitled. The younger generations feel that it is y'all that areentitled! And you know you are!!!! Cracks me up. It's too bad they despise us so much collectively, sure individually they appreciate us, but really, when you get around the older generations and hear what they really think of yours, it's kind of sad.
Who said we hate the younger generation? This thread started with a Gen X or Gen Y person dissing the Boomers! Our own kids are of the younger generations. Funny thing about what you said, that is what Ferd said about the Boomers. Collectively, he "blames" us for something. Individually, we some of us are OK, for Baby Boomers.

Quote:
Whatever the generation before the baby-boomers was, they were like completely different. The baby-boomers parents, they didn't expect anything, which might have hurt them too though, but they seem so gentle, made you want to give them more. Hopefully it's an age thing, and not generational.
The WWII veteran generation did too have their sense of entitlement. Some of them are still alive. Many have received way more in SS than they ever paid in. The vets themselves got all sorts of perks for being in the service, including those who never went overseas: scholarships, special mortgages, etc.

Quote:
Whatever the case, special group the baby-boomers are, very tough and hard working, and yes yes, we all have to pay you back for everything you have done for us. Keeps you humble though, like 'no your not being nice to me and deserve special feelings that you've done something good, you pretty much have to' haha.
Your sarcasm is unbecoming. The only way to avoid getting old is to die young; keep that in mind.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:38 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Way to stereotype, Ferd, while leaving yourself some "wiggle room". What the heck are you talking about "fail the test of history"? My generation, the older boomers fought in the quagmire of Viet Nam. A classmate of mine was one of the last ones killed, during the fall of Saigon. We'll see how much better your generation does.

You are making a huge assumption that there won't be any money in this system by the time you retire. This talk of SS running out of money has been going on for decades, and the money hasn't run out yet. Yet Chicken Little (in the form of vaious politicians and agitators) says so, and you believe it. Do you have a crystal ball? I could seriously use one.

You don't know a flying thing about who I voted for, or what they voted for. I live in one of the most libertarian states in the country, far from the Beltway, and everyone, even the libs is suspicious of the govt. here.

One more smart remark like yours and you go on ignore, so I don't get any infractions.
Two points. (geez do I have to be a broken record?)

MANY Baby boomers did serve in Vietnam. As I pointed out, my Uncle was one of them BUT your generation worked HARD to insure defeat in Vietnam and the carried the day. YOUR generation failed while some in your generation tried to stand for what was right.

secondly get this thru your head, you are making this about you and you fail to see that I neither know you nor think ill of you.

It isn’t about you; it is about your generation. If you are part of it but didn’t stand with those working so hard to dismantle America, then Good On Ya!

YOU aren’t what I am talking about.

and SS is messed up because your generation refused to fix it. the BILLIONS of dollars that was paid into the system have been spent by politicians of both parties on domestic junk and now there is no money.

AND there is only 1 way to get the money and that is to raise taxes on ME. That means I have to vastly more to support you than you paid to support the generation before you.

BECAUSE YOUR GENERATION DIDNT FIX IT.

and if SS isn’t messed up, then pray tell where is the 20 to 30 TRILLION in unfunded SS mandates going to come from????

You can tell yourself that SS is going to be there for me. I don’t care what you tell yourself, but don’t come to me with that lie. My generation has learned better. IF it is there at all it will be because we paid vastly more and we did the hard work those before us refused to do.

Put me on ignore. If you think I care you are wasting brain cells.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
If I seem angry, I have two young children who will reap the whirlwind because of the actions of Baby Boomers.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:41 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The life expectancies of the elderly are simply becoming far too long for SS as is to handle it. We are either going to need to continuously raise the age, jump the tax rate, or dump the system altogether. There is no other choice.

If we keep the status quo for SS, there certainly will be no money for us to draw off of, after we spent most of our working lives paying in.

They certainly need to cut SS off at the knees and allow the young to bail out of it.
The silly notion is that people should retire at 65. I don't plan to. I'll work as long as I'm physically able.

To fix SS:
  • Continue to raise retirement age with life expectancy
  • Invest SS trust funds in the market rather than letting Congress raid the piggy bank and stuff it with IOUs.
  • Increase the immigration rate to keep a stable balance of workers to retirees.
Bingo, it's fixed.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quit whining Ferd. The national debt to GDP is about where it was in the mid 50s. That isn't good, but it's far from catastrophic. At the end of WWII debt was 120% of GDP. Play the hand your dealt and stop blaming others for your troubles. Alternately, emigrate to a country that will treat you better, if you can find it.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
MY generation wasn't old enough to vote during the height of Viet Nam. MY generation is one reason the voting age was lowered to 18 from 21. "You're old enough to kill, but not for voting" went a popular song in the late 60s.

Very few boomers are SS recipinets yet. The oldest of us are 63 years old (born in 1946). The youngest, born in 1964, still have >20 years to work. The oldest of us couldn't serve in the house of representatives until 1976, nor the senate until 1981, and most people are not elected to congress until at least their 40s, making the first boomer incursion arouond 1986 for the House and 1991 for the senate.

You say I"m making this personal, but you are the one who screasm YOU at us boomers, as if (as I said before) we are all personally responsible for what you believe b/c you listen too much to Rush, Sean, et al to be the demise of SS before you get a chance to collect.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,681 times
Quote:
Who said we hate the younger generation? This thread started with a Gen X or Gen Y person dissing the Boomers! Our own kids are of the younger generations. Funny thing about what you said, that is what Ferd said about the Boomers. Collectively, he "blames" us for something. Individually, we some of us are OK, for Baby Boomers.

The WWII veteran generation did too have their sense of entitlement. Some of them are still alive. Many have received way more in SS than they ever paid in. The vets themselves got all sorts of perks for being in the service, including those who never went overseas: scholarships, special mortgages, etc.

Your sarcasm is unbecoming. The only way to avoid getting old is to die young; keep that in mind.
Yep, your kids are the younger generations, that's why I said individually you appreciate us, perhaps it is an age thing, I guess it was just the past few weeks I have heard a lot of negativity about my generation coming from the baby-boomers. This word 'entitled' and my generation has been coming up a lot. I'm just trying to figure out what they think we think are entitled to. Maybe their just speaking of health-care, I don't know.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:56 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The silly notion is that people should retire at 65. I don't plan to. I'll work as long as I'm physically able.
That is a rediculous notion my friend. The elderly are clogging up far too many jobs, especially the good ones. I think people should be forced to retire at 58. 40 years of working should be more then enough to have saved for your own retirement. Give someone else a crack at that 80k+ a year job doing absolutely nothing.

Quote:
To fix SS:
  • Continue to raise retirement age with life expectancy
This is a certainty. You are going to have to adjust with life expectancy.

Quote:
Invest SS trust funds in the market rather than letting Congress raid the piggy bank and stuff it with IOUs.
The market? Were you paying attention to what just happened to millions of elderly peoples 401k's recently? What happens if you are the guy who retires during a down economy? You just get screwed?

The money should be used in low risk interest bearing loans.

Quote:
Increase the immigration rate to keep a stable balance of workers to retirees.
Bingo, it's fixed.
It doesnt matter the number of workers. If simply matters the amount of income that is subject to SS taxes.

They need to remove the cap on SS tax, and subject capital gains and passive income to SS taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies