Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 02:01 PM

5,760 posts, read 8,086,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
That is a rediculous notion my friend. The elderly are clogging up far too many jobs, especially the good ones. I think people should be forced to retire at 58. 40 years of working should be more then enough to have saved for your own retirement. Give someone else a crack at that 80k+ a year job doing absolutely nothing.
Dude, When you're tough enough and smart enough to take my job, you can have it. Until then keep washing dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,119,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
Yep, your kids are the younger generations, that's why I said individually you appreciate us, perhaps it is an age thing, I guess it was just the past few weeks I have heard a lot of negativity about my generation coming from the baby-boomers. This word 'entitled' and my generation has been coming up a lot. I'm just trying to figure out what they think we think are entitled to. Maybe their just speaking of health-care, I don't know.
I am not interested in any kind of generational warfare. The things that are being said about the 20somethings were said about us Boomers when we were young (wanting to take too much time off work, general lack of work ethic, etc). What goes around comes around. That is what some of us have been trying to say.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:06 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,225,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Dude, When you're tough enough and smart enough to take my job, you can have it. Until then keep washing dishes.
Im more then smart enough to do whatever youre doing dude, probably better, and Ill do it for less. Unfortunatley, I wont get that chance until Im old and grey because you foagies wont leave until you drop dead in your custom made chairs. Youre too busy paying for your McMansions and your Mercedes.

As for washing dishes......I havent been in the service industry since my first couple years of college.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,424,222 times
Quote:
That is a rediculous notion my friend. The elderly are clogging up far too many jobs, especially the good ones. I think people should be forced to retire at 58. 40 years of working should be more then enough to have saved for your own retirement. Give someone else a crack at that 80k+ a year job doing absolutely nothing.
Quote:
Unfortunatley, I wont get that chance until Im old and grey because you foagies wont leave until you drop dead in your custom made chairs.
If people do retire early than some complain that they're a drain on Social Security, they live too long and get too much in benefits.
Quote:
The life expectancies of the elderly are simply becoming far too long for SS as is to handle it. We are either going to need to continuously raise the age, jump the tax rate, or dump the system altogether. There is no other choice.
Quote:
If you would retire at a normal age, instead of working in to your seventies clogging up all the good decent paying positions, we might be able to "wipe our own behinds".
BTW Randomdude........... I'm not in my seventies....... I'm disabled.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM

20,501 posts, read 12,440,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Quit whining Ferd. The national debt to GDP is about where it was in the mid 50s. That isn't good, but it's far from catastrophic. At the end of WWII debt was 120% of GDP. Play the hand your dealt and stop blaming others for your troubles. Alternately, emigrate to a country that will treat you better, if you can find it.

LOL! that with a spoon full of sugar eh Church?

We dont agree on much but you have grown on my RLC. I appologize for coming accross far more bitter and angery than I really am.

I do certainly think Ronald Reagan was right way back in the 1960s about SS. and I certainly think it is a mess of the highest order and I dont think I will get much out of a system that I will pay into...

By the way, I dont plan on relying on SS. All SS is, is a way to insure poverty.

the sad thing is, given a different structure where the funds are in individaul accounts, it could insure no one (even the poor) retire below the poverty line.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM

20,501 posts, read 12,440,933 times
.... And for the record, I dont agree with Randomdude on the point that 60+ folk ought to be forced to retire so younger people can get "the good jobs".

Younger people should only expect "good jobs" by competing for them and winning them on merit. What I have in this world I have earned. I expect others to take the same approach.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
If people do retire early than some complain that they're a drain on Social Security, they live too long and get too much in benefits.
Can you give me an honest reason why the average baby boomer shouldnt have enough to live on, in combination with, social security after 40 years of working?

The problem I see is that the boomers are

1. Having to take care of their adult kids, because their adult kids cant obtain any decent employment. This isnt completely caused by boomers (and the younger members of the previous generation) hanging around too long, but that isnt helping. If the people over 58 would all just retire, it would grease up the pipes a bit.

2. Living lifestyles that are completely unneccessary. In the past two years, Ive watched 4 people in my office, all without kids, and all over 50, move in to McMansions, and assume mortgage payments.....why did they need to do this? I dont know. I can think of doing a lot of things at age 50, but assuming a new 30 year mortgage is not one of them. Every car that has a retail value over 40k in the lot is owned by someone over 50 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
BTW Randomdude........... I'm not in my seventies....... I'm disabled.
If you are legitimately disabled by no fault of your own, I have no issue with you. I think a society should always care for their physically and mentally disabled, in so much, as it is no fault of their own.

People who become disabled because of obesity, AIDS, smoking or drug use do not have my compassion, and neither do those who game the system with a "back" or "neck" injury. If you can reasonably work, you should work in my book. However, when you become elderly, you are slowing down progress and need to step aside. I also believe that society should provide for its elderly.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
.... And for the record, I dont agree with Randomdude on the point that 60+ folk ought to be forced to retire so younger people can get "the good jobs".

Younger people should only expect "good jobs" by competing for them and winning them on merit.

How many old people do you know are retaining their jobs on "merit"? Most that I know are puttering old geezers who are completely detached from modern processes and reality. Their time has passed, but they stay in fat paycheck jobs getting paid for their past glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
What I have in this world I have earned. I expect others to take the same approach.
What is your definition of "earn"?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,602,820 times
Ok DOROCK..here's the deal...we made the way for you in this world so that your sorry butt could have a decent life..gave you Rock N Roll, was drafted against our will and fought a war that many of us did not believe in...got screwed by the Govt and fought so that the press would expose these morons for what they are (it is the free press that you are now enjoying..) got stoned / got sober..paid into a system that gave us the finger..and now we want a little peace and quiet in our retirement years..and have to read garbage like this from people like you..so suck it up..pay your share..and maybe..just maybe if you fight as hard as we did..you and your young friends can stop the govt from spending your future away...good luck to you...

Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,424,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Can you give me an honest reason why the average baby boomer shouldnt have enough to live on, in combination with, social security after 40 years of working?

The problem I see is that the boomers are

1. Having to take care of their adult kids, because their adult kids cant obtain any decent employment. This isnt completely caused by boomers (and the younger members of the previous generation) hanging around too long, but that isnt helping. If the people over 58 would all just retire, it would grease up the pipes a bit.

2. Living lifestyles that are completely unneccessary. In the past two years, Ive watched 4 people in my office, all without kids, and all over 50, move in to McMansions, and assume mortgage payments.....why did they need to do this? I dont know. I can think of doing a lot of things at age 50, but assuming a new 30 year mortgage is not one of them. Every car that has a retail value over 40k in the lot is owned by someone over 50 years old.

If you are legitimately disabled by no fault of your own, I have no issue with you. I think a society should always care for their physically and mentally disabled, in so much, as it is no fault of their own.

People who become disabled because of obesity, AIDS, smoking or drug use do not have my compassion, and neither do those who game the system with a "back" or "neck" injury. If you can reasonably work, you should work in my book. However, when you become elderly, you are slowing down progress and need to step aside. I also believe that society should provide for its elderly.
I have MS. We have a home we bought recently, it was a "camp" that was previously owned by a wealthy family, not a McMansion by any stretch. Because I was ill for so long, I had no medical insurance, all that I had in savings and 401k's went for medical bills and everyday expenses.

BTW............. (off topic but still on the subject as regards age and abilities)
And to top it off and really tick me off we have the issue of medical marijuana. Really, where is an old person, in a rural area, that has mobility issues going to buy it. If you do manage to then there are people that swear it's not really of any medical use, though I swear it helps tremendously with my particular situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies