Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
If you're burdened by excessive taxes, you have options.

Move to an isolated rural area with no paved roads, no water/sewer systems, no fire or police protection, no trash disposal and small distant schools.

You'll like the taxes there.
You're like me. I also prefer to overpay and be underserved for all those services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In other words "I dont mind being a slave so long as master provides for me"
I can list many freedoms Scandinavians enjoy that Americans don't, or have great dificulty achieving. I find it more mystifying what fredoms Americans have that the Scandinavians don't?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
i know. i wish our health insurance wasn't tied to our employer, many people would rather just work a couple of part time jobs, but you can't DO that here because you have to work FULL TIME in ONE PLACE to get health insurance. it would free up the workforce and safe employers lots of money, but for the life of me i can't see why republicans don't want this.

Its' like they are that irritating person that's just here to make life difficult
I'm not from the US, so I agree with you. Healthcare shouldn't be tied to employment. From an economic perspective, it has to hurt employers too, although many have cut back by either passing more cost on to employees or opting for lesser policies with higher deductibles.

I don't see the US ever having fully universal healthcare unless the current system crashes. There's too much mistrust of government and widespread desire for social Darwinism or personal responsibility (as if being poor and sick isn't bad enough) for it to ever be achieved.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
I can list many freedoms Scandinavians enjoy that Americans don't, or have great dificulty achieving. I find it more mystifying what fredoms Americans have that the Scandinavians don't?
Why don't you?
I suppose you don't believe taxes are an infringement on freedom do you?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
They have many freedoms that Americans don't; namely freedom to live in dignity, no matter whether you stack shelves for a living or are a lawyer (note: I am not advocating a lawyer earns the same as a supermarket worker). You are far more "free" to spend more time with your family and friends, which to me is far more important than being "free" to carry a loaded weapon around or go around inciting hatred, like the Westboro Baptist Church do. Since higher education is so cheap or even free, you are free to change paths later in life without having to worry about incurring hefty student loans or losing health insurance coverage.

It all depends on what freedoms are important to you.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM

994 posts, read 725,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
the message from the right is MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY.. and if you ask about something else they say.. CAR EXPENSIVE HOUSE MONEY MONEY MONEY.... that's all that exists to these people, they won't admit it but it is the MEANING OF LIFE both SPIRITUALLY and in EVERY OTHER WAY.

that's why a WHOLE SOCIETY of people living a GOOD MEANINGFUL BALANCED LESS VIOLENT HAPPIER LIFE... doesn't appeal to them.

it's about TEN FOR ME NONE FOR YOU... MONEY, me want MONEY, me WANT me WANT.
If they don't admit it, then how do you know it's true? And how do you explain the fact that conservatives donate more money than liberals?

It's nice that in between your threads demanding the right stay out of your life regarding gay marriage, you post messages like this where you tell the right what they think and how horrible it is. You're doing a great job setting an example of the open mindedness you want us conservatives to demonstrate towards you.

The strawmen get tiresome. It's especially tiresome from a group who style themselves the open-minded intellectuals.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Quote:
You're like me. I also prefer to overpay and be underserved for all those services

Unlike you, I understand that as a member of society, I and everyone else benefit from those services and don't consider the taxes I pay for them to be an imposition.

But I seriously do feel cheated by the trillion dollars flushed down the toilet in Iraq. For some odd reason, the loudest tax whiners seldom mention that little folly, but they hate firefighters, teachers, postal workers, and librarians. All those who add to our quality of life.

Weird.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Unlike you, I understand that as a member of society, I and everyone else benefit from those services and don't consider the taxes I pay for them to be an imposition.

But I seriously do feel cheated by the trillion dollars flushed down the toilet in Iraq.
You mean you dont mind making me pay for your stuff and claiming thats the price that must be paid in order to live on your plantation?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,288 times
Quote:
Why don't you?
Hah! Hell, no! Taxes are the membership fee for the civilization club. Every nation comes with its own particular set of benefits from that fee, and those who don't like theirs are free to apply for another.

The people who don't want any taxes at all are also free to live in the wilderness somewhere.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Why don't you?
We pay taxes in US, so we can't claim freedom from taxation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies