Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, this past weekend I was stopped at the grocery store and asked if I had 'found Jesus'... I simply said 'why, did you lose him?'. Apparently they didn't get the humor.
heh-heh. I got it. It was in a movie too. The one with the girl from Miami beach who moved to Minnesota and they asked if she had found Jesus. She said "well, I didn't know he was missing". It was movie: New In Town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
With the world shrinking and becoming more unified it's not surprising that christianity is "growing" in areas where it wasn't the dominant religion. Just as I believe it's "shrinking" in the USA as more people bring their beliefs with them from wherever they came from. It means little to me that there are lots of people in China converting if there are lots of people from somewhere else deconverting. It's just that something new is always going to draw some attention. You know how it goes.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM

This is interesting. According to this, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity every year. I'll have to double check my previous number 2.5 million. Maybe the 2.5 was in US only.

http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/sina31103.htm

Hitler said if a lie is repeated often enough and long enough, it would come to be perceived as truth. One such lie often repeated is “Islam is the fastest growing religion”.

Despite the fact that Muslims by virtue of being poor and uneducated are much more reproductive than others, Islam as a religion is not growing but dying fast.

More and more Muslims are discovering that the violence evinced by some of their coreligionists is not an aberration but is inspired by the teachings of the Quran and the examples set by its author. Muslims are becoming disillusioned with Islam. They find out that the mechanistic ritual of praying five times per day, reciting verses that they do not understand and indeed mean nothing, getting up at taxing hours of the morning and abstaining from food and water until the sunset are not means to becoming more spiritual but are instruments to control their mind. These enlightened Muslims no more heed to the fear mongering verses of the Quran that threaten to burn them and roast them in the fires of hell if they dare to think and question the validity of that book.
Every day thousands of Muslim intellectuals are leaving Islam. They find Islam inconsistent with science, logics, human rights and ethics. Millions of Iranians already have left Islam. The enlightened Muslims of other nationalities are not far behind. This is the beginning of a mass exodus from Islam. It is a movement that is already in motion and nothing can stop it.

However the exodus from Islam is not reserved to the intellectuals but also the average Muslims are finding that Islam is not the way to God but to ignorance, poverty and wars. They are leaving Islam to embrace other religions especially the Christianity.

Perhaps it is best to listen to the truth coming from the mouth of the horse. The Internet site aljazeera.net published an interview with Ahmad Al Qataani أحمد القطعاني An important Islamic cleric who said: “In every hour, 667 Muslims convert to Christianity. Everyday, 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity. Ever year, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity."
What Muslims say among each other, is not the same thing that they say for the consumption of the Westerners.

These are huge numbers. If this trend continues we can expect to see Islam become insignificant in Africa in just a few decades. This is good news for those who are concerned about the on going slavery in Africa and the prospects of war and genocide.

more in article

Old 09-29-2009, 01:46 PM

Wouldn't it be wonderful if people left one religion for...not another one? The fact that people can and do swap out their so-called belief systems is facinating to me. I'm always pleased when someone finally stops "belief shopping" and just starts living this life rather than worrying about the afterlife.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
heh-heh. I got it. It was in a movie too. The one with the girl from Miami beach who moved to Minnesota and they asked if she had found Jesus. She said "well, I didn't know he was missing". It was movie: New In Town
Hmm..I may have to rent that movie I heard my dad say it to someone when I was younger and it kinda stuck.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful if people left one religion for...not another one? The fact that people can and do swap out their so-called belief systems is facinating to me. I'm always pleased when someone finally stops "belief shopping" and just starts living this life rather than worrying about the afterlife.
Practically all Muslims are born Muslim, so it does not surprise me many of them want to opt out and switch to Christianity when they are old enough to think for themselves and hear the calling.

Christians do exactly what you say: live this life without worrying about afterlife. Ain't that great!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses numerous times, people in parking lots (darwin plaque on my old truck), in grocery/retail stores, at two separate high school graduations etc etc.

I think it's the tattoos... for some reason they're religious wacko magnets. I rarely had this problem until I got tattooed below the elbow.

JWs drove me farther away from God when I was younger. Because of them I wanted nothing to do with God. And I don't have a single tattoo.

Actually, this past weekend I was stopped at the grocery store and asked if I had 'found Jesus'... I simply said 'why, did you lose him?'. Apparently they didn't get the humor.
That's funny. Especially, since I've found Him.

Finn_Jarber, I find your post interesting. Thanks for posting that. It's important to note that in some countries people convert to Christianity at great risk to themselves - as in the case of a muslim converting. It's basically a death sentence. That says something about the commitment they are making - it's very real and very important to them. That can only come from a genuine inner spiriual transformation. Those who knock it have not been in the same shoes; therefore, they cannot comprehend with their minds what happens in the heart and spirit. One does not lightly trade their physical well-being for this, and that's a compelling testimony.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
And that would be shown to be you, correct? Proclaiming how wonderful christians are, how inclusive they are, how understanding they are, per the dogma of christianity. All the while attacking any who differ in any aspect of their beliefs from yours.
Ugh you really have to follow along. You made this statement:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Predos
No, I am not a christian. I was born not a christian, investigated it and rejected it as not true. I choose to open my eyes and mind to all possibilities. Such a freedom is denied to christians as they are compelled to believe their buybull and gawd. No freedom at all.
I then said:
Quote:
Why do you assume that because someone chooses to be a Christian that they have closed their eyes to other possibilities? That is very close minded thought in itself.

You make claims and it is very obvious that you have no clue about Christianity other then what your narrow view has allowed.
Soooooooo the entire point of this back and forth was to point out that many Christians have their eyes open and are fully aware of other possibilities. You chose to morph it into something completely different. Which has NOTHING to do with what I am talking about.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
wait...are you saying that someone with strong personal religious beliefs shouldn't lead America because it is "diverse"?
No, I was meaning as in trying to please everyone. There is no way any President is going to make everyone happy. Their up bringing and past life determines things that come out of out mouths.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Practically all Muslims are born Muslim, so it does not surprise me many of them want to opt out and switch to Christianity when they are old enough to think for themselves and hear the calling.

Christians do exactly what you say: live this life without worrying about afterlife. Ain't that great!
Replace "Muslim" with "Christian" and you just described everything I've witnessed in my 50+ years of living in the USA. You are daft if you think otherwise. Christians are mostly born Christian and many leave the faith when they reach a point where they think for themselves. Converts later in life, from anything to anything, are mostly people looking for "something" to give their life meaning. It doesn't necessarily matter what it is.

And Christians worry plenty about the afterlife, I've been to church enough to know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies