Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Ownership of automatic weapons is legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I dare you to try it Kat. Make sure it is a nice juicy, first run, Oscar contending film though. We want a jam packed theater.
Half way through the movie, stand up and exercise your right to free speech.
What makes you think I'm interested in doing so?

BTW, I went to the University of Pittsburgh, thus my interest in this thread.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
It looks to me like both the kids and the film crews like the gas used.We cetainly don't need to let people who were warned they were to dispuse by law has ordered turn any arera into another watts or other city like chicgo 1968. Break it up before it gets out of hand. I would have left instead of staying around lookig for problems or trying to act like a victim.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:23 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
WWaaaa. A bunch of college kids who "know my rights man" were told to disperse, they chose not to this is what happens in the real world. Period end of story. They're lucky that nobody got their head cracked.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
WWaaaa. A bunch of college kids who "know my rights man" were told to disperse, they chose not to this is what happens in the real world. Period end of story. They're lucky that nobody got their head cracked.
I'm sure you'd feel the same if it were your child who was prevented by police lines at both ends of the stairs from doing what the police ordered and got his/her head cracked.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:51 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
or if sickofny got hassled by a cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sure you'd feel the same if it were your child who was prevented by police lines at both ends of the stairs from doing what the police ordered and got his/her head cracked.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wait a second. Asking questions is part of their first amendment rights. They have a right to be informed. Was taking pictures illegal there? Probably not. Could the students have acted better and reacted better? Probably.

if I am in a city where there are several world leaders including the president of the united states and there has been protesters splashed all over the news, with folks being arrested and a bunch of riot cops show up, in full gear, and start yelling form loud speakers that I am in an unlawful assembely and to disperse as ordered by the cheif of police, what am I going to do??
Stand around and take pictures?
Start asking stupid questions? Get up in the cops face? Refuse to leave?
These jerks, the students, asked for what they got, if they were so afraid, they should have hit the ground with their hands behind their backs until someone came over there, not screaming about their rights being violated.
Stick up for them all you want, that is fine and your opinion, I get to say
what my opinion is, that is MY RIGHT, or does it only work for you??

Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That sounds like assault and battery right there.

I would love to see these same ones along with half the folks on this board, myself included, go out and protest where I know there is more than a good chance I am going to have my head smashed in or be shot and killed, like the people of Iran did.
We do not know what that is like, because we can protest our govenment here.
Would I have the courage to do it?? No, I do not think I would,
Although we can protest here, and I have been to many protests, you have to have a permit, these folks did not have a permit.
They clearly violated a police order and the police warned them they could be harmed.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ownership of automatic weapons is legal.
So is protesting and peaceable assembly. However, in both cases, there are exceptions.
Is this not true?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
georgia dem, did you watch the video i posted, of the students trapped in the stairwell? it's been going around the internet and i wrongly assumed that that was the video in the OP.

do you think the police reacted appropriately there?

and i've been going back and forth on this the past few days, but i think it's counter to the idea of freedom of speech to require a permit for a protest, especially if it's not going to be blocking traffic (the protests on thursday did block traffic, although the one earlier that afternoon was meant to go through a near-deserted part of town due to downtown road closures). in any case, what defines a protest? if 400 people are hanging out in an open park in oakland (as happened on friday, the day after the more destructive protests), should 110 of them be rounded up, tear gassed, shot with rubber bullets, and arrested? for perspective, on the day that there were people in the streets blocking traffic and smashing things, about 40 people got arrested. how does that make any sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies