Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,933,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And we let it happen. We waved goodbye as industries left our shores.
The think tanks said..good riddance because better jobs will come our way.
And America believed them.

Now even the better jobs are gone. But the think tanks say good riddance because "green" jobs will come our way only no one can define what a green job is

We did it to ourselves. We kept re-electing the same crooked politicians over and over and over.

We did not just wave good bye we gave them the boot through over regulation and taxes.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Try this quiz:

Are you on welfare/unemployment ?
No..continue

Do you work ?
Yes..continue

Do you own your own jet ?
No..welcome to the middle class

No
Yes
Well it's a tri-pacer, still has wings though!........

Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,814,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It has a much to do with the fact that people were put into homes they could not possibly afford. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, and Charlie Rangel need to admit responsibility for their part in the demise of the financial stability of America.
Repubs and Dems are to blame for deregulation of the finance industry, but the the most outrageous loans were commonly made during the Bush years, where the 'no down' loans - 80% 1st mortgage and coincidental 20% 2nd, were given to anyone with a pusle. The 'no-doc' loans before that typically required 25% down, with no 2nd mortgage available. The 5% FHA loans were the lowest down programs, and they required strict inspections.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It has a much to do with the fact that people were put into homes they could not possibly afford. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, and Charlie Rangel need to admit responsibility for their part in the demise of the financial stability of America.
I respectfully disagree. Those people were not "put" into those homes.
Those people CHOSE to take on more than they could chew.

At the end of the day, they signed the papers. No one forced them.
Yes, I agree the corrupt took advantage of the uneducated and used it to their advantage. Lax laws allowed that. But it still comes down to these people took on debt 6-10x their salaries. What in God's name made them do that ? 3x is scary and risky enough..but 10x ????

Only a fool would think they can afford a $500K home on $50K a year.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
As of late, I am rich when my fridge is full of good food. I don't feel low, middle, or high class. I feel lucky. It's isn't killing me to be thrifty. I appreciate my happy times all the more, however. Sunsets are free, and friends are still friendly, so I can't complain too much. There are people worse off, and I donate food to the food bank. I don't even know what middle class means, any more.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. Those people were not "put" into those homes.
Those people CHOSE to take on more than they could chew.

At the end of the day, they signed the papers. No one forced them.
Yes, I agree the corrupt took advantage of the uneducated and used it to their advantage. Lax laws allowed that. But it still comes down to these people took on debt 6-10x their salaries. What in God's name made them do that ? 3x is scary and risky enough..but 10x ????

Only a fool would think they can afford a $500K home on $50K a year.
You are right. I stand corrected.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
As of late, I am rich when my fridge is full of good food. I don't feel low, middle, or high class. I feel lucky. It's isn't killing me to be thrifty. I appreciate my happy times all the more, however. Sunsets are free, and friends are still friendly, so I can't complain too much. There are people worse off, and I donate food to the food bank. I don't even know what middle class means, any more.
That is an excellent outlook on life.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
Not really, it's the simple thing of people buying stuff they cannot afford.

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Don't Buy Stuff

Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post

Post of the day!

Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
And we let it happen. We waved goodbye as industries left our shores.
The think tanks said..good riddance because better jobs will come our way.
And America believed them.

Now even the better jobs are gone. But the think tanks say good riddance because "green" jobs will come our way only no one can define what a green job is

We did it to ourselves. We kept re-electing the same crooked politicians over and over and over.
That is exactly the problem, our solutions are not with the Republicans or Democrats. We need "None of the Above" to be an option on every ballot.
The idea that we were going to have an economy without production has to have been one of the dumbest ideas to ever pass lips. Everyone would go to college and work in offices passing papers to each other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies