Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
As of late, I am rich when my fridge is full of good food. I don't feel low, middle, or high class. I feel lucky. It's isn't killing me to be thrifty. I appreciate my happy times all the more, however. Sunsets are free, and friends are still friendly, so I can't complain too much. There are people worse off, and I donate food to the food bank. I don't even know what middle class means, any more.

As an individual so am I, but why are you contributing to that food bank. Does their need grow every year? It used to be that I could work and my wife could stay home with the kids. We could live well but now Mom and Dad work at minimum wage jobs so they can afford Chinese Crap at Slave Mart. The banks suck 41% out of the economy and produce nothing. I may be comfortable for myself but I can't turn a blind eye to that.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It has a much to do with the fact that people were put into homes they could not possibly afford. Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, and Charlie Rangel need to admit responsibility for their part in the demise of the financial stability of America.
The idea was that Housing was an industry that could not be exported. It worked fine until they ran out of qualified buyers about seven years ago. Congress had plenty of time to act but chose to accept the silver coins of the speculators rather than do something about the problem.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Sad to think that America is becoming a third world country due to our deteriorating economy.
Yes, it is sad although I wouldn't say it's becoming a third world country. I went to Ironwood, Michigan a couple months ago & it was close to a ghost town. Not many businesses were open during the day, it was pretty sad.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
As of late, I am rich when my fridge is full of good food. I don't feel low, middle, or high class. I feel lucky. It's isn't killing me to be thrifty. I appreciate my happy times all the more, however. Sunsets are free, and friends are still friendly, so I can't complain too much. There are people worse off, and I donate food to the food bank. I don't even know what middle class means, any more.
I hear ya. My best friend & I are in the same boat although I'm a little better off since I've got a steady job. But it is not fun being worried about spending $6. on saline solution or not being able to rent a movie, which is why I get Netflix. I hate being in this situation & I have no idea when it'll get better. But, like you say, I've at least got my best friend, my family & that's all really anyone needs.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,729 times
Middle class is defined by our government as those whose income is $75k or more. In other words most of us are poor. The worst thing is that we are getting poorer everyday. Food price are increasing so rapidly that I have grown accustomed to weekly increases.

According to the national news programs we are in a "jobless recovery." The feds say 9.5% unemployment that does not account for those who exhausted their UE benefits. The real unemployment rate is closer to 20%. 1 in 8 homes in foreclosure. Food banks empty. US ranked 37 in world healthcare with third world countries ranking better. The biggest employer in the US is now Walmart who is about to hire 55,000 more people. They will be lucky to make $8/hr and hard-pressed to get 40 hours a week. I don't think too many of those people will be buying homes, new cars, or even keeping up with their daily costs.

BTW, banks have now charged their customers 2 billion dollars for nothing more than overage charges. That is 2 billion dollars that will not be spent on the economy but will end up in the bank exec's bonus's and perks.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,310 times
Donsabi, that is an excellent pots with salient points.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Middle class is defined by our government as those whose income is $75k or more. In other words most of us are poor. The worst thing is that we are getting poorer everyday. Food price are increasing so rapidly that I have grown accustomed to weekly increases.

According to the national news programs we are in a "jobless recovery." The feds say 9.5% unemployment that does not account for those who exhausted their UE benefits. The real unemployment rate is closer to 20%. 1 in 8 homes in foreclosure. Food banks empty. US ranked 37 in world healthcare with third world countries ranking better. The biggest employer in the US is now Walmart who is about to hire 55,000 more people. They will be lucky to make $8/hr and hard-pressed to get 40 hours a week. I don't think too many of those people will be buying homes, new cars, or even keeping up with their daily costs.

BTW, banks have now charged their customers 2 billion dollars for nothing more than overage charges. That is 2 billion dollars that will not be spent on the economy but will end up in the bank exec's bonus's and perks.
The median household income in this country is $50.2K.

"jobless recovery" - jobs are a lagging indicator.

you're right about the banks; people need to keep a better grip on their finances in tough times. And, had families not overextended themselves with expensive credit during what appeared to be boom times, much trouble might have been averted.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I remember some Rosanne and Arnold type couple strutting around a 99 cent store a couple years ago, and Arnie crowing about how rich they were. I wonder which food stamp line they are in now.
Any middle class or socioeconomically lower couple should get a vasectomy and a tubal ligation today. things are not going to get any better.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Any middle class or socioeconomically lower couple should get a vasectomy and a tubal ligation today. things are not going to get any better.
What's the cut-off income, as it were?

Can they have been making 75K but are now on Food Stamps and unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies