Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 07:18 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Maybe it's about time the Pagans rise up and take their holiday back...
Pagans are always getting the short end of the stick. Fear the day the Pagans stand up and proclaim that they are mad as he!! and aren't going to take it anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:21 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Eh, pick a day, any day. It doesn't matter if you celebrate it next Tuesday, if you'd like.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But it already does. Federal education laws, federal employment laws, federal drug laws. It takes whatever powers it desires. It's the government, that's what a government does.
Look them up. Every set of laws has stated Constitutional powers that serve as authorization for the actions taken. If it does not, such laws can be immediately invalidated simply by pointing out the fact.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Is self-identifying as some form of Christian on a poll enough now to meet your definition of actually celebrating Christmas? I say again, your definition reduces to a small minority the number of Americans that actually celebrates Christmas.
I'm not trying to increase the number of people who celebrate Christmas. So, if the only person on the planet who is celebrating the birth of Christ is some hermit in east middlanowhere Ohio, so be it. One person is celebrating Christmas in that case. The rest of us, who have chosen to celebrate some holiday that existed before there was any thought of Christmas, or one that was created yesterday, may decorate trees, may dress up a fat guy in a red suit to hand out overpriced crap purchased from the local department store, may bake star shaped sugar cookies that we drown in royal icing and red & green sprinkles, may do anything else that we choose to celebrate our holiday.

But
we
aren't
celebrating
Christmas.
Just the hermit is.

Words have meaning.
Look up celebrate.
Look up Christmas.

Just because you celebrate SOMETHING on December 25th does mean you are celebrating Christmas.

Also, isn't it rather rude to tell those pagans who are celebrating the beginning of the winter season that, because Christians marked the same day as the birth of their savior, they are now celebrating Christmas too? What if they don't want to celebrate Christmas? They don't believe Christ was born, let alone that he was the son of god. Why is their celebration now called Christmas?

Old 10-11-2009, 07:53 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east
Childish bull. Places of employment are closed on that day, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
So it's ok for the government to recognize a Christian holiday but if there is a nativity or some other thing depicting in public that is unacceptable?
Companies or corporations closing down for any holiday has nothing to do with 'government recognition' of that holiday.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Companies or corporations closing down for any holiday has nothing to do with 'government recognition' of that holiday.
It is when one of the places that close are government offices.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Look them up. Every set of laws has stated Constitutional powers that serve as authorization for the actions taken. If it does not, such laws can be immediately invalidated simply by pointing out the fact.
If the Supreme Court agrees with you, sure. Otherwise, you're stuck. That's what government does--it abuses its power.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Based on the fact that jewish holidays are not designated federal holidays. I don't see how that's hard to understand. A jewish holiday requires someone taking a vacation day, it is not a designated holiday like christmas is.
Well I see you caught my post before I deleted it....

Anyway, that was not my point. My point was that if Christmas was taken off the list of Fed holidays then those who didn't want to go to work and celebrate Christmas on Christmas day would have to use a vacation day.

Most Jewish holidays require the observance of said holiday to begin at sundown (the eve before b/c a Jewish day begins and ends at sundown). Observant Jews would have to take 13 days (should all HHD's fall on week days) off.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because my tax dollars pay for your holiday decorations in my city.
Are you ok with your tax dollars funding the holocaust museum in DC?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Are you ok with your tax dollars funding the holocaust museum in DC?
Keep in mind that everyone's dollars -- even those of folks who do not pay taxes -- contan the reminder that In God We Trust.

It gives me a warm feeling deep inside to contemplate how that must make Steven Breyer's blood boil.

Ever notice how much he looks like the Grinch?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies