Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,756,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV
This "war on Christmas" stuff is getting ridiculous! Most of those I have listed as 'friends' on facebook are related to me. My nephew's wife changed her greeting on her facebook page this morning from 'happy turkey day' to 'happy holidays'. A niece of mine then commented - 'you have to say "Merry Christmas" ' Ticked me off and I posted back 'the first time anyone tries to tell me I "must" or "have to" say anything, that one will hear from me in words of MY choosing several times a day'. When crap like this begins to disrupt families, it's going too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Why did that tick you off? If that's all it takes to disrupt your family you wouldn't last an hour in mine
Quote:

You could have at least said "have a nice day"
Why did that tick me off? Because I happen to think that everyone is entitled to celebrate whatever holidays they celebrate in whatever way (short of breaking the law) they wish to do so. And I simply get angry when I see or hear anyone trying to control in any way, whether facetiously or in earnest, another's opinions or expression of those opinions. As my sister tried to do with me by 'private message', telling me she didn't think I had the right to 'chastise' her adult daughter. Sorry, my niece is an adult, she expressed an opinion, I expressed mine. That does not equal 'chastisement'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Why did that tick me off? Because I happen to think that everyone is entitled to celebrate whatever holidays they celebrate in whatever way (short of breaking the law) they wish to do so. And I simply get angry when I see or hear anyone trying to control in any way, whether facetiously or in earnest, another's opinions or expression of those opinions. As my sister tried to do with me by 'private message', telling me she didn't think I had the right to 'chastise' her adult daughter. Sorry, my niece is an adult, she expressed an opinion, I expressed mine. That does not equal 'chastisement'.
LOL I think if my sister would have sent me a message like that I might have fallen out of my chair laughing...the things that people get upset over these days.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,418,716 times
Firstly, Christmas, whether one celebrates the secular, family version or the religious observation version, lasts only ONE DAY.

It doesn't last an entire month (or longer).

Secondly, there are at elast 9 cultures and/or religions celebrating holidays during December.

Christians demand we respect their ways, well, it's a two way street, respect others.

Thirdly, when I was a child, most people put their decorations up no more than a week in advance, including stores. Christmas music began around the same time as well, as did Christmas related television shows.

It is no wonder people are burned out well before Xmas arrives, it is no wonder, to me, why it has lost pretty much most of it's significance.

Those who gripe and whine about the mythological "War on Christmas" would be much better off, IMHO< picketting stores that put Xmas stuff out around Thanksgiving.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
LOL I think if my sister would have sent me a message like that I might have fallen out of my chair laughing...the things that people get upset over these days.
I've been sitting here 10 minutes trying to compose a reply to this. I guess all I have to say is that you would need to understand the dynamics of my family, plus the importance of family to me, to understand why this has me so upset.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,584,853 times
Talking happy holidays, y'all!

The War on X-mas is one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.

Go heathens!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,207,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Many of my neighbors put their Christmas decorations up Thanksgiving night. You can read in the street from the twinkling icicles and glowing inflatable Santas.
That's a bit early in my book. I usually don't put up light until at least December 10.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I've been sitting here 10 minutes trying to compose a reply to this. I guess all I have to say is that you would need to understand the dynamics of my family, plus the importance of family to me, to understand why this has me so upset.
LOL don't take that long to reply...just type the first thing that pops into your head that's what I do and it's only got me suspended six times thus far

Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,305,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Either way we are screwed under Obama! He has no clue about foreign relations and is looking bad!
Palin is looking better and better everyday.
Oh her book is #1 two weeks before it came out.
What does this have to do with the so-called "War On Christmas"?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,418,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
What does this have to do with the so-called "War On Christmas"?
Why, didn;t you know?

Bamers is a (whisper) Muslim out to destroy Christianity, and Christmas is first on his list.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
LOL don't take that long to reply...just type the first thing that pops into your head that's what I do and it's only got me suspended six times thus far
LOL! Not really worried about getting suspended from the forum, but I've always been one to put some thought into what I say, whether it be on a forum, in an email or in a snail mail letter. Even back in high school (nearly half a century ago!) teachers rarely called on me in class. Not because my answers were wrong, but because they were always long. I took to heart my grandfather's advice to never say the first thing that popped into my head; always give it a second or even a third thought before speaking/writing/typing. And, since this is getting completely off topic, I'm going to quit now.
BTW, not sure if it's what you intended, but you've managed to make me feel better. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies